• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you care about tech demos?

• Yes

Votes: 140 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 160 53.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I saw a lot of conflicting posts in the Unreal Engine 5 reveal thread so I figured I would make this.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
When it's highlighting a big jump like this for next gen, sure. (like this i mean UE5 reveal as thats what i assume this post is about)

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...i think allot about the work and detail even while i play. So i appreciate seeing folk do stuff like this too.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Not really. Most of them don't show anything that is especially relevant to the kinds of games I play.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Absolutely love them.

Other posters, have you forgotten where we came from?

screenshot-2014-06-15-19-53-47.png

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't even care about non gameplay reveal trailers and they are closer to what a game will be than tech demos

so no

SPECIALLY because no tech demo will ever focus on non realistic graphics and these are my favorite

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in the tech, so I have little interest in people demo-ing it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I enjoy watching tech demos. They aren't games but looking at new graphics effects can be interesting.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't really understand the question. Tech demonstrations are a data point, like anything else.

To take the UE5 demo as the obvious example here, do I think most actual games will have exactly that level of fidelity? No, because games will have more going on on-screen, than simply walking and flying around an environment.

But is it really interesting, as far as recalibrating my expectations for what WILL be roughly possible on next-gen consoles, and the tech that will enable it? Absolutely.

So "do I care"? Sure, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Most tech demos that I have seen have been in-engine footage and not emulating game play. I'll take what we got today since it actually showed what games can look like and was really impressive.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They're cool but it can be annoying when they're more visually interesting than the games we actually get

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's really only demos like Half-Life 2 that raises my eyebrows, since it's an actual game they're showing off and how the tech works when implemented in practice. Incredibly curated cinematic demos are always up in the air regarding how developers actually end up using the technology showcased.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Not at all. I don't play tech demos, I play games. I said it in the other thread, but that tech demo didn't even look better to me than a PS4 Pro game. Resident Evil 2 on my PS4 Pro looks just as good to my eye. I play almost exclusively on Switch and even that looks great for me most of the time. I want good games, I couldn't care less how many statues are in the room

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm skeptical for once. Till I saw the thing running on the hardware I bought is all theoretical. Deep Down also looked nice.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This engine is not gonna be ready until next year, then it will be 3 years AT BEST to see any game using these tools.

Also, people acting like this is PS5 only when it will run even on mobile tech brings a smile to my face.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of one "real-time", "in-engine" demo that actually looks like a game from that generation. They're all a glow up on what we actually get technically while being pretty artistically barren.

I only care about seeing real games.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Absolutely yes. Loved watching the NVIDIA fairy demos years ago and I generally love to see the changes in each iteration.

Also, KARA.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Super bummed out by the "reveal" today.

Like, yeah man, we know next gen games will look amazing. I can't wait either. But the stuff they showed is 3-4 years away!

Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.