• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Xbox "Smart Delivery" confusing to you?

• Yes

Votes: 75 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 315 80.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Jason tweeted this earlier today and thought it was surprising. I honestly thought Microsoft's messaging has been pretty clear and thorough in regards to Smart Delivery.

So it had me curious if the general consensus here is the same as well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not confusing to me, it's a badge that means a game is available on more than one generation and automatically installs for the hardware you have. They'll probably stick with that branding to cover Lockhart and next-next gen as well.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
To be honest I still don't entirely know what it is lmao, but I haven't really been paying attention to it either.

Oct 26, 2017
Not at all.

"full next gen version" means the game had substantive change done to it to improve it to use the new console capabilities.

"backwards compatibility with performance boost" should be an automatic improvement the BC software will do to the older games.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
He doesn't know the difference between the general benefits that come with backwards compatibility on Xbox and an actual next-gen version? How is that possible?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the difference is pretty obvious. BC boost is the same game, running on better hardware.
smart delivery, when offered, will get you the native next gen version for free.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's just a marketing name lol

The idea of "buy this gen version, get next gen version free" is simple.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I think it was initially potentially confusing (especially when people started introducing hypothetical what-ifs), but they've since cleared it up imo.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's pretty clear to me. If you buy a game that supports Smart Delivery you are entitled to both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
It's one sku like on pc, instead of multiple like previous crossbuy. Carries saves over automatically and gives you the correct version for the consoel you're on. It's simple and easy for consumers but was a ton of work for their back-end store stuff.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're pitching it as this huge, amazing thing to get people to buy the console, but if you're an early adopter, it'll matter for like... 2 months worth of games.

I guess it'll matter more for those buying the console a year later... if they really want to replay those games.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to be very clear on it in this thread...

So which is it? Separate executable or same executable with enhancements built/added in?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Smart Delivery per se is understandable, but I have the same problem as Jason, the line between a different next gen version and a boosted patch is kinda blurry. Microsoft themselves talk about Gears 5 and Dirt 5 in the same way, for example, and Dirt is a different version while Gears is just a patch (I suppose!)

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I don't really understand the confusion here. BC enhancements is what Xbox One does with 360 and OG Xbox, and Smart Delivery is a native version of the game with improvement on textures, assets, etc.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's one sku like on pc, instead of multiple like previous crossbuy. Carries saves over automatically and gives you the correct version for the consoel you're on. It's simple and easy for consumers but was a ton of work for their back-end store stuff.

Cross save is confirmed?

And it's not the same sku, that would be BC.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found it confusing, but I admit I haven't really looked at it further than "You'll play the best version of the game you have that's available."

I would have to agree that I don't think I understand the difference between enhanced BC (which could even be double framerate as we've heard) and a "next gen version" of a particular game, like Mr. Schreier says.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think I was confused... but does the smart delivery label encompass both scenarios Jason mentions? (Not that I really think it matters whether it does or not - MS has been very clear about making BC an extensive feature)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty clear. Only thing that would be nice would be more clarification of which publishers will support it, which I'm sure is just a matter of time. EA sort of muddied the water with their separate thing for Madden, but that's just EA being EA.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really — you buy a game, XBL servers identify your hardware, and send you the best possible copy of the game that you can run. You might get the X1X version if there is no native XSX version.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty easy to understand and they have also had several videos about the feature as well.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
It's just Microsoft's way of getting around referring to games as "Series X Enhanced" or whatever, which would make them sound like a last-gen game with a boost mode.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I think it's rather self explanatory.
I wish I could say the same about a lot of Playstation's recent messaging.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Smart delivery only refers to cross gen games right?

It wouldn't even apply to full next gen games.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's alittle confusing. Like isn't "smart delivery" exactly the same thing that the Xbox One X had with it's "X enhanced" games?

Or like, a PC game that detects the hardware you have and sets the graphical settings automatically.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to be very clear on it in this thread...

So which is it? Separate executable or same executable with enhancements built in?

Whatever the devs upload for Series X.

It's not like the Xbox One version of a game will have support for ray tracing or some of the deeper hardware support for things like VRS so it just depends on how different the game is.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I see 'Smart Delivery' I think of a system that only downloads the pieces of the game that make sense for your platform (example: higher resolution textures for One X users, vs standard textures for S owners). Nothing about that name conveys to me that it's a cross generation single purchase system or a backwards / forwards compatibility system.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
No. I don't find it confusing at all.

Buy once, the system will take care on delivering you the BEST version it can play. That's it. You don't need to understand if it acts as "backward compatible enhanced" or "full next gen" version. You simply get the best version available to your device,.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Ok, that makes more sense. As a vanilla PS4 player I wasn't aware that game updates included the PS4 Pro patch content.

I hope that differentiation is possible on the PS5; it's more work for them up front but would def. save on cloud computing resource costs in the long run.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
You buy the game once. You get the best version delivered for any console you own (Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, and eventually Lockhart). Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.