• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you ike rap music?

• Yes

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to another classic Era rap thread.
dog-whistle.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wish the poll was a bit more nuanced.

There are quite a few rap songs that I enjoy immensely, but for the most part no I do not enjoy the genre. Nothing against it, but I feel the same way towards it that I do towards country music. They both have their moments for me but overall I'm just not interested.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Depends if the song is catchy. I am simple, though, as I only listen to the hits of all music.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes there's a catchy one I'll hear and like but it's not a genre I seek out. Same with hip hop, Electronica or metal and country music.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Nope.

I like guitars, decent lyrics, musicians…Rap and I didn't get along.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I don't mind the occasional song, but it is far more the exception to the rule

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
There are many rap songs I really like. Stuff by tupac, snoop, dre, buck65, and more. That said one of my pet-peeves is having an otherwise non hip-hop/rap song include one rap verse that sticks out like a sore thumb for what to me seems like nothing but cold calculated commercialization.

Also fuck music genres as a concept, I actively avoid thinking about them and just listen to what I happen to like.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never really shrugged it off, but it never clicked with me in a huge way. I made an intentional effort to dig into more hip hop at one point an found that even with artists I like I tend to be picky about which songs I enjoy.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I live with my brother who listens to A LOT of rap and hip-hop music so I appreciate it through exposure but it's not really what I gravitate to.

I'm usually more interested in the production than the rapping/vocals.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite rappers in no particular order (alive, and minus Kendrick who isnt my favorite but I believe is the goat) are:
Danny Brown
JPEGMAFIA
Pusha T
Vince Staples
Tyler

HM:
Earl Sweatshirt
Freddie Gibbs
Zelooperz

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't get into rap or hip hop. I've tried but I get nothing from them. I grew up with a family who loved all the different kinds of rock and metal so that's the stuff I'm into mainly.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Predicting a ton of "only select songs"/"mostly [insert white rapper]"/"mostly just 90's rap" in here

These comments are just tired. You act like it wouldn't be the same if the question were, "Do you like rock music?" or "Do you like country music?"

some people love rap in all of its forms: old-school, gangsta rap, trap, whatever this nasty mumble rap, soundcloud rap, etc.

I love the music when it samples jazz, blues, funk, and so on, but since I cannot hardly understand the lyrics (like my brain is not quick enough to comprehend what is being rapped, much less the meaning behind it) and I don't really latch onto a beat, rap is not typically a macrogenre I enjoy.

I don't enjoy country, either, but there are a handful of songs that I find pretty good, but almost all of them go back to when country was just the white man's blues. Almost the entirety of what could be called country music nowadays is nothing I would want to listen to by choice.

I don't enjoy "Rock" music either, for the most part. All that angry, "I hate my dad" music like Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, and so on is just trash to me. I could never understand the appeal of harsh black metal or weird harsh metal like Slipknot. It's so aggressive, it circles back onto itself and ends up corny as shit.

I like melody and harmony. Indie rock, old-school R&B, and classic rock (50s to 70s) have it in spades. So do a fair amount of New Wave and early alternative bands and artists. If it doesn't have that, there is a better than average chance I'm not listening to it.

What I'm trying to say is, if you are trying to pin not liking rap on some underlying racist attitudes or straight ignorance of the genre, it's embarrassing.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Very much so but I'm picky about who I like listening to and what sub-genres of rap I listen to.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I listen to all kinds music, when I find an artist I dig I add it to my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.