• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like rap

• Yes

Votes: 117 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 75 39.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Given no post or communication from mods, I'm not sure why my last thread closed. I would like to know what the demographics on era think about rap music. Do you like rap music. Thank you

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Just remaking the thread is going to get you in trouble.

But for what it's worth, yeah I've enjoyed plenty of rap songs. I don't "dislike" any particular genre of music, I'll give anything a shot.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OIP.mZ2ZAYWA2neacf9_Z4eD6wAAAA

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Just remaking the thread is going to get you in trouble.

But for what it's worth, yeah I've enjoyed plenty of rap songs. I don't "dislike" any particular genre of music, I'll give anything a shot.
As far as I know asking someone's favorite genre of music is not against the rules. If it is I would like it to be clarified

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
No, I hate it. I can somewhat tolerate it in Linkin Park songs, but I still think they would be significantly better if you removed the rap. I got to know rap primarily as a music style in which drugs, violence and disrespectful behaviour against women was promoted (especially through Aggro Berlin) and whenever I hear rap, I associate it with those terrible views, so I cannot stand it (even if of course not all rap music is like that).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
below is is why your first thread got locked

No, I hate it. I can somewhat tolerate it in Linkin Park songs, but I still think they would be significantly better if you removed the rap. I got to know rap primarily as a music style in which drugs, violence and disrespectful behaviour against women was promoted (especially through Aggro Berlin) and whenever I hear rap, I associate it with those terrible views, so I cannot stand it (even if of course not all rap music is like that).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is great copypasta material

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FkaqrMf.gif

lol Linkin Park.

If you honestly believe only rap does this, you've lost the plot

REAL ANSWER: I don't adore every song in any one genre. But yeah I can say I've very open to enjoy rap music. There's so many talented artists and lyricists and producers, I'd have trouble writing it off. It's fantastic.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I think the only music genre that anyone should be allowed to hate is country. And you don't have to hate country, but it's fine if you do.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
As far as I know asking someone's favorite genre of music is not against the rules. If it is I would like it to be clarified
I can't speak for the mods of this forum.

But reading the locked thread it seems pretty clear a lot of people were anticipating it to lead to racist undertones, which seems to happen when a lot of people, let's say... act like rap is inherently defined by negative traits that are also very true of music more often associated with white people like rock or metal yet never get called out for like rap is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
what if they removed the rock elements from linkin park and it was only rap

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My primary genre yeah
I like listening to hype music throughout the day

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
What about when rap talks about the horrors of racial inequality and racism? Themes missing from a lot of music

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i like rap. not all rap, but there is a respect for someone's technical ability and flow if i don't exactly like their sound.

I don't single rap out over disrespect against women or drugs or violence when rock and roll is sitting right there.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
If you honestly believe only rap does this, you've lost the plot
I never said only rap does this. This was my primary exposure to rap for years and if you listen to repulsive stuff of one type for years then your repulsion can associate emotionally with the style. Other styles are used for such music, as well, but I was not primarily exposed to such repulsive stuff in other styles, so it did not affect me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I never said only rap does this. This was my primary exposure to rap for years and if you listen to repulsive stuff of one type for years then your repulsion can associate emotionally with the style. Other styles are used for such music, as well, but I was not primarily exposed to such repulsive stuff in other styles, so it did not affect me.
Me thinks you should listen to more music and expand your perspective.

OP
OP
DongBeetle

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I guess all I can say is to open your mind to thing you've barely been exposed to

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Songs that I really like tend to have two attributes - being high energy, and being melody driven. A rap song can excel in the first part, but I'm not sure I've ever heard one that did the second. Not saying they don't exist, but I've just never heard one.

Rap as a genre just seems really centered on vocals rather than melody, and that's a reason I've never really bothered exploring it (not unlike pop music, for example). Most of what I like ends up being instrumental because non-vocal instruments are just better at emphasizing melody in general. An instrumental cover of a vocal song is better to my ears like 99% of the time.

And there are exceptions to everything. I've definitely heard rap songs that had something to them I enjoyed, not sure I could name one though because I don't actively listen to them.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I listen to all kinds of music, but rap is and always has been my main thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, though I am starting to like less and less of newer rap.
That being said, this is starting to happen to me with all music so maybe I am becoming a boomer 🤔

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really listen to any spoken word art, no. Lyrics are usually the least important part of songs for me, though some rap sample beats I like. The closest I get to it is via R&B that leans stronger into the hip hop over pop.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen them, those rap singers. I've seem them near the trolleys at Sainsburys.
On the hand rail. You've seen them running along the hand rail, the rap singers.

Musically, it generally doesn't speak to me. But, more broadly, I have an appreciation for solid word-play in lyricism and I've heard a fair bit of that in rap over the years.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm okay with older stuff but I feel the same way about it as I do country (neither being my "go to" genres) in that a lot of it got turned into shitty, formulaic pop music. I wouldn't exactly call myself versed in it though.

Oh and I didn't vote because of there being two options.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
What about when rap talks about the horrors of racial inequality and racism? Themes missing from a lot of music
I still do not like the style, but I can of course appreciate that the text is well done if it is and I agree that this is an important topic to discuss in music. But still, due to the year-long conditioning via aggro berlin in school, I cannot *enjoy* music of that style.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
It's like any other type of music for me, now that I'm a grown-up and not stuck in the High School mentality of only listening to one genre as a personality trait.

I like some of it. I dislike some of it.

I like Rock, I like Electronica, I like Pop, I like weird noisy alternative stuff. But I don't like ALL of any of it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I listen to pretty much every genre if it's something I end up liking, I only have a small playlist of rap but I do like it.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Love it. First genre of music I listened to that got me into music as a kid. My tastes are more expanded now but rap/hip hop are my first.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Though it depends on the type/artist. High energy stuff like Run the Jewels is great, and I love good wordplay in music, and a lot of rap just excels at that. There are rappers I know are impressive on a technical level but just don't really do it for me because the vibe is just not for me, like Kendrick Lamar. But that goes for a lot of artists, of course.

It's not a genre I'm actively looking for music in, but if it were there'd probably be plenty of people for me to really enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.