• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Downgraded

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think so, this is their first reveal:-
youtu.be

Ghost of Tsushima Gameplay Trailer (2020)

Ghost of Tsushima Trailer (2020)The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan—until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island o...

and now this is the latest one:-
youtu.be

18 Minutes of Ghost of Tsushima Gameplay (Full 4K Presentation)

Watch the full gameplay demo of Ghost of Tsushima featuring combat and stealth, exploration mechanics, how you'll level up your character with unique gear an...

Could this be because of Covid?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
No. Even if people have comment on the lighting, look at it at the beginning when he begins to ride into the sun. It is just as dynamic.

The lighting has some disrepancies in how good it looks even in this first footage. For instance, scene is abit muddy (not just becuase of the mud!) in the initial footage when he is fighting those bandits in the mud.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I dont think its massively different than the 2020 and game awards trailer, its way more apparent in the reveal 2017 trailer and 2018 demo, scenes look a lot less complex. I instanly noticed how game awards trailer had horrible ground and very low poly trees and flat lightning. I think people dont see this as much cause of the very colorful and strinking art direction.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so.

But the new 4k footage is quite blurry and looks like a stream in 1080p.

I'll wait for higher quality videos to make that decision

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every game at this level will receive some amount of downgrade from the initial vision, it's not always this bait and switch style negative but simply the reality of a project making adjustments as it progresses.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just wait for the game to launch and compare scene by scene? This is just premature alarmism that's plagued every major Sony first party title. It's become a running gag.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I think after this and The Last of Us, the system has plenty left in the tank.
I really wouldn't say plenty. GoT still looks great, but not like significantally above even Horizon. TLOU2 is the best looking of the ps4, but even then, we clearly see where we can go with the ps5.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
that was my first thought, but now that i watch these back to back, i think the first (actually the second, i think?) gameplay demo was just heavily choreographed, with carefully chosen locations.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Firstly, Ghost of Tsushima looks incredible. However, I did feel that the earlier trailers looked better. All through the 18 minute showcase, I couldn't help feeling that this game deserved to be on the PS5. All the limitations of the PS4, (which get hidden in linear games like God of War and Uncharted 4) were on full display in an open world game like Ghost. The cost of rendering to the horizon is low resolution rock and ground textures, limited amount of Geometry detail and trees that look rather rough up close.

I don't mean to dump on the devs or the game. Still massively hyped for the game. It's simply the hardware that's not capable.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
It never looked as great as God of War or The Last of Us pt2, but that was already apparent in the first gameplay trailer in my opinion.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly maybe a little? But it's tough to know without recreating the same scenes and lighting.
Maybe previous shots were just better composed because it wasn't extended gameplay.

Visually it looks pretty great regardless.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Nope. All the negatives in the 18 minutes gameplay are on the first video. Look closely to the rock textures and the horse tail.

Game looks gorgeous.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
If you're not sure and have to ask if it was downgraded, does it even matter?

At this point everyone should know that a lot can change in a trailer >1 year from release and games will go through changes and optimisation. Unless it is particularly egregious I don't get why people care so much about potential "downgrades" when it still looks really good.

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's called development. Things change, optimizations put in place, etc. etc. If I was a dev I'd never show my game because this place instantly shits over any change.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the daytime sections look as good. I'm not a fan of the night time lighting... but no, I don't see an obvious downgrade.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Some things don't look as impressive (like foliage density or shadows) but overall I think SP delivered 100% in the overall look of the game so it would be a bit silly to complain

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
again? i feel bad for the mod who has to lock this again, looking forward to the TLOUS 2 downgrade thread

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's cringeworthy to watch people do this to themselves after about 6 or 7 separate examples this generation already. It's wasted energy believing it's true and also arguing against the nonsense.
  • inFamous Second Son
  • Uncharted 4
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • God of War
  • Spider-Man
  • Days Gone
Sucker Punch is the next victim of the illogical desire for there to be something wrong. You need to be able to create the exact same conditions including lighting, weather, scene composition, cinematic direction etc to be able to make such a claim, and lighting in particular can drastically change how a scene looks.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In my honest opinion, threads like this are an embarrassment to the gaming community and should be abolished. They never lead to an healthy discussion and more often than not are offensive towards the hard work being done by developers (a lot of the times in personal ways).
Also, a gameplay segment will always lose some of the magic appeal of a rigorously edited cinematic trailer.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's supposed to be "downgraded"?

I thought the sheer amount of foliage was the unbelievable part, and there seems to be more grass/trees than ever and loads of variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.