• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Attempting to devalue and discredit the work of marginalized creators, concern trolling
I'm not trying to be racist or sexist but I couldn't help noticing movies like Black Panther and the recent "us" has been getting phenomenal reviews but often times the comments from people on forums seem to rate the movies just "ok", same with Captain Marvel, the movie is often rated in the 80-90 area but is it because these movies have a diverse cast and its a societal change to overcompensate due to a culture change?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not trying to be racist or sexist but I couldn't help noticing movies like Black Panther and the recent "us" has been getting phenomenal reviews but often times the comments from people on forums seem to rate the movies just "ok", same with Captain Marvel, the movie is often rated in the 80-90 area but is it because these movies have a diverse cast and its a societal change to overcompensate due to a culture change?

You failed.

Oct 25, 2017
So like saying your not trying to be racist or sexist isn't some shield that prevents this line of questioning from being both racist and sexist. Which it is.

Also to answer your question (Which is racist and sexist): No

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Lotta movies come out directed by women or people of color that are bad and get shit reviews. These just happen to be very good movies!

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Instead of making assumptions. How about you do a study.

OP
OP
AlexinChains87
Sep 14, 2018
So like saying your not trying to be racist or sexist isn't some shield that prevents this line of questioning from being both racist and sexist. Which it is.

How though? i'm not trying to be, i'm not trying to be an edgelord either with this question, I have noticed more recently with movies that involve a diverse case or director getting hailed really well, I think I started to question it when black panther won an oscar.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Internet people just love to be contrarian.

People shit on Christopher Nolan, JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon's movies all the time too.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How trustworthy is news in this period? I couldn't help but notice that a lot of people on my facebook and reddit are quite vocal with their dislike of journalists and wondering if it's because media feels the need to pander to SJWs?

Oct 25, 2017
How though? i'm not trying to be, i'm not trying to be an edgelord either with this question, I have noticed more recently with movies that involve a diverse case or director getting hailed really well, I think I started to question it when black panther won an oscar.
Again you're intent doesn't change the reality of this being a common alt-right line of "questioning" which asks you to psychoanalyze film critics for some mythical "Pro-diversity basis" that's impossible to prove or disprove as a way for fuckbois to dismiss positive reception of films they consider unworthy.

Like I'm trying to not just assume your being disingenuous as fuck but it's hard.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good movie and well made. You're undermining the film by relegating its success to the cast being diverse.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I'm Latino I enjoyed Black Panther and Get Out ( really looking forward to US) but the gushing praise seemed a little much. White people overcompensating for past indiscretions against POC in Hollywood maybe?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
People on this forum have called a bunch of great movies mediocre, and a load of old crap as borderline classic. In short, it's all just opinions....but the opinions of random forum dwellers shouldn't be taken as evidence of critics somehow all getting together to rate movies with black people and women as leads higher than others. That's a hell of a leap to make.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Im not trying to be racist or sexist but do you think Laneesha got that promotion because she's a black lady?

Oct 25, 2017
While I admit that I feel the critics who praised Widows overlooked many issues the movies had, I don't think movies by minorities are graded on a curve. Despite people happy to call out people who rate those movie negatively. And many movies done by women and minorities have crap reviews.

Because they're good movies?

And Black Panther won for costumes and music, but that made you question things?

I find the positive reviews for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and SpiderMan Homecoming more baffling. But sometimes you just don't like the thing other people do and it's fine.

Don't be contrarian. Have you even seen these movies?

OP
OP
AlexinChains87
Sep 14, 2018
I'm Latino I enjoyed Black Panther and Get Out ( really looking forward to US) but the gushing praise seemed a little much. White people overcompensating for past indiscretions against POC in Hollywood maybe?

I maybe should have titled my post more similar to this, it seems to be a small change in journalism and culture to auto swing an opinion into positive if they are aware of the diversity.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
A Wrinkle in Time blows your theory out of the water. That's a film that released after Black Panther, was directed by a woman of colour, had a diverse cast, and was shredded by critics for being a not so good film. A minute on google would have given you the answers you needed to not ask such a weird question.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
These two movies have something else in common which is probably the real reason why they are overhyped.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not trying to be racist or sexist but why do movies have more diverse casts now? Why are diverse directors getting praise? It can't be because they're actually really good but it must be tokenism. That's what you sound like AlexinChains87

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
cStjerW.png

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think 6.8 for Captain Marvel is being "hailed really well"?
cStjerW.png

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Lol that was the first thing that came up to my head but I couldn't remember the darn name.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody actually enjoys the movies and the excitement you're seeing is performative. Reviews are actually being scored with an Affirmative Action curve. /s

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Movies are rated on their entertainment value and their individual merits. Us is an immensely entertaining movie with a premise that is probably a bit too easy to predict, but I still enjoyed it. That 95% of critics agreed makes sense to me as it's well acted, well shot, well scored, and a lot of fun. Horror films get a bit of a pass for their story.

I haven't seen Captain Marvel, but this movie has received a fair share of criticism. I'm sure that like all movies in the MCU, it's fun for the time you're at the theater and fits well into the overall story, but is otherwise a bit disposable (which is fine also).

Neither of these films were given free passes because of minority of female direction. Us in particular scared people because everyone wondered if Jordan Peele would produce something a bit bad, failing to live up to unrealistic expectations.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Only movies directed by white men and starring white people really deserve high critical praise. For anyone else, such praise is undeserving and unearned. How could they possibly be as good as white men?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The very movie you mention as an example for your argument (Captain Marvel) literally contradicts you're argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.