• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
Looking back at the days where Kojima left Konami. We think of Konami as the bad guys ((canceling Silent Hills aka PT)) making MG survivor easy cash. after Kojima leaving them.
Look I liked Death stranding because it somehow reminds me of TSOTC quite, nature, peaceful. But.... why all these actors and those songs license? the game is expensive to make.

Now we see why Konami had made that for not making Silent Hills. Silent Hill series was never the game that sold over 5 million or ever even a 3 million.

So now after DS is released and not looking it sold that well. What is your thought now about Konami and Kojima?
Do you think Konami was right?
Do you think Kojima was over with his expensive actors, Song's license and the budget that was given to him?
Do you think Sony has done wrong by spoiling Kojima? giving him this budget and making him porting the game for PC. while other studios at Sony who sold more than DS in their first week never got that golden ticket by doing what they want with their games.

Kojima had these privileges because he was with sony since the PS1 era with MGS. But was it worth it? So he wastes it in one game after leaving Konami.

Death Stranding will be remembered as a love or hate game by the players. But I really loved the game by stating the fact I was really looking at it as an empty game from every trailer it had.

Soo era what do you think?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Do you think Sony has done wrong by spoiling Kojima? giving him this budget and making him porting the game for PC. while other studios at Sony who sold more than DS in their first week never got that golden ticket by doing what they want with their games.
Kojima got to make the game he wanted to make in the end, that's all that matters if I'm being honest. I don't care about the repercussions of Sony giving him a blank check as it has no bearing on me at all. They saw it was fit to do so and I'll enjoy the fruits of its labour.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Konami changed strategy, and shifted their focus to mobile for more profits at less risk.
I doubt they regret having to spend hundred million, per project, on Kojima stuff that might or might not make them any significant profit.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes-ish. Konami was/is making bank on pachinko and gambling games. That's 1/50th the budget and hassle for the same, or more, profit.

Did it make me happy? No. But I see the logic in the ledger. That said, I'm glad Kojima found a new partner to support him! The spectacle IS the product.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The healthiest thing would be not picking sides when it comes to litigations we barely even know anything about about a rich corporation and a rich employee.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They were right in firing him, yeah. Kojima didn't want to make the kinds of games Konami likes to make now, so what would be the point?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
So far really enjoying Death Stranding way more than anything Konami put out since the split (re-releases and collection s of pre-existing games aside)--so...not in my opinion?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima's games were always successful. It was a short sighted decision on Konami's part based on how lucrative their pachinko business was.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think Kojima is at his best when paired with a solid editor & somebody to tell him "No" - but it seems like the relationship with Konami was infinitely more harsh. The working conditions seemed dire, and the complete bungling of MGS V alone make it impossible to take Konami's side in this.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding was #1 on Amazon right before release and like #8 in Video Games department in general, so not sure where you're getting "it didn't sell well" from

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I don't really blame Konami for not wanting to work with Kojima anymore. I think most of the biggest issues were with how it went down, though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
who knows, could be, could be not

no one has insight into that other than working in the higher tiers at Konami or Kojima himself

fact is, Kojima delivered with Death Stranding and it is one of the most unusual, creative and freshest feeling AAA games this console generation-especially because it is not for everyone like other streamlined mass market games

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
You can be right about something, but go about dealing with it in such a horrific way that you become wrong.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
how can we tell? nobody has access to the documents and receipts and everything that the budget was used for or even how much was the budget of MGSV.

pure speculation.

The healthiest thing would be not picking sides when it comes to litigations we barely even know anything about about a rich corporation and a rich employee.

/closethread

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
People wildly exaggerate the cost of Kojima games, and both Sony and KojiPro are smart companies full of adults that had realistic targets for their ROI.

Konami is never right on anything.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Where's your numbers to back up that claim? I haven't heard anything about sales, strong or weak.
We have no numbers to indicate that, that's why. Game sold 40k in UK first week and had a pretty steep drop, while in Asia it leaded the charts (straight up being the new IP that's sold the best in its first week since Dark Souls in Japan)

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at the days where Kojima left Konami. We think of Konami as the bad guys ((canceling Silent Hills aka PT)) making MG survivor easy cash. after Kojima leaving them.
Look I liked Death stranding because it somehow reminds me of TSOTC quite, nature, peaceful. But.... why all these actors and those songs license? the game is expensive to make.

Now we see why Konami had made that for not making Silent Hills. Silent Hill series was never the game that sold over 5 million or ever even a 3 million.

So now after DS is released and not looking it sold that well. What is your thought now about Konami and Kojima?
Do you think Kojima was over with his expensive actors, Song's license and the budget that was given to him?

Kojima had these privileges because he was with sony since the PS1 era with MGS. But was it worth it? So he wastes it in one game after leaving Konami.

Death Stranding will be remembered as a love or hate game by the players. But I really loved the game by stating the fact I was really looking at it as an empty game from every trailer it had.

what do you mean it didn't sell well?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Kojima gets to do what he wants, Konami gets to make lots of money. Both are winners.

I did notice that Death Standing doesn't appear to have the music budget as Phantom Pain. Sure it had Low Roar, but no Bowie stuff etc.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
actors being expensive only matters in relation to how well the game sold, which we dont know yet. Sony seems happy with it, to a degree of even allowing a late port next year.
Silent Hills, as far as we knew, only had Reedus, but also had a dream team with Ito and Toro. So while i understand they became risk averse, and focused on mobile and pachinko, id argue they made the wrong decision.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima went from having no team, no studio, no engine to creating a new studio, team, getting an engine and made a full featured AAA game in 3 years.
That's very efficient outcome if anything, and DS is the best selling new IP in Japan this year.

I'd say Konami was wrong.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Kojima got to make the game he wanted to make in the end, that's all that matters if I'm being honest.

Exactly.

I'm loving DS and I'm very glad it exists at all.
Konami was, and will continue to be, dumb for not nurturing their console IP assets. They have so many gaming legacy series that are rotting. They had some legitimate auteurs (Kojima, Murayama, Toyama, Sato, etc) that they've just let go/pissed off to the point of leaving.

Naw. FucKonami.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Who knows? Kojima was working on a very promising SH title when Konami kicked him out, not DS.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just because Death Stranding was a bust doesn't mean his next game will be.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

You don't know how much it sold

Sony has spoiled Kojima? What??

He wasted what in one game? Wtf sare you talking about....

"But I really loved the game by stating the fact I was really looking at it as an empty game from every trailer it had." THis phares makes no sense....what are you trying to say, exactly?

The game got raved reviews, on par with other games that are regarded highly this fall (Outer Worlds, Gears 5, Star Wars fallen orrder) , but getting even more 9 and 10s.

You have no idea of the budget of the songs, if it was wasted or not, how much this is gonna sell, the impact the game is gonna have....looks like you're too early and too eager to bury Kojima

Just because Death Stranding was a bust doesn't mean his next game will be.

Death Strandign is a bust? please explain

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't end up selling well? I don't think there's any concrete information on that. The game might not be a GOW/Spider man type hit but it'll at least push a couple million. Which is still a success regardless.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
The current state of Konami in the gaming industry pretty much proves that they were wrong...

It's debatable whether Sony should or shoudn't have given carte blanche to Kojima, but this changes nothing: Konami are nothing in gaming culture now.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
They were within their rights to fire him, that's the nature of an employee-employer relationship. I think both sides won though; Kojima has the freedom to make what he wants and Konami makes profit with less risk.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima's games were always successful. It was a short sighted decision on Konami's part based on how lucrative their pachinko business was.
Konami actually became more profitable, at least in the short term, after he left. They didn't have him gobbling up tens of millions of dollars in production budgets for games that would only see release after five years.

There's a lot in the feud between Konami and Kojima that will always remain behind closed doors, but I don't doubt that Konami was eager to be rid of him. Especially after the stories of their general business practices regarding their video game division. I do find it hard to believe that Kojima didn't at some level bring things upon himself with the way he did things, though.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima got to make the game he wanted to make in the end, that's all that matters if I'm being honest. I don't care about the repercussions of Sony giving him a blank check as it has no bearing on me at all. They saw it was fit to do so and I'll enjoy the fruits of its labour.
He's happy making games, and i'm happy playing them, i care as much about Konami as they care for their old IP's.

Oct 27, 2017
Your entire premise is flawed because we have no idea how much Death Stranding has sold overall. You're going to look pretty foolish if in a few days they announce it has done like 2 million sales.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
We have no numbers to indicate that, that's why. Game sold 40k in UK first week and had a pretty steep drop, while in Asia it leaded the charts (straight up being the new IP that's sold the best in its first week since Dark Souls in Japan)
That was kind of the point. I have since looked it up and found the stats you mentioned.

I have not found anything about Western sales though and I expect that to be one of the largest markets, so sales there would make a large impact.

Regardless, I doubt it is a bomb by any means, but it may admittedly not make enough considering the talent budget of the game. Depends on how much everyone cost. Honestly, I'm not sure Normal would charge much after the whole P.T. and then this. He's paid in advertisements. XD

closer

Oct 25, 2017
they are both doing alright, konami probably could be making more money if kojima stayed on

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So far Death Stranding has hit masterpiece level for me (still halfway through and this is simply my personal opinion). We don't know overall sales and the budget, but I'm betting it will break even.
As far as I know the MGS series was always profitable and represented a huge name for the company.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
part of me is glad konami did what they did because it allowed kojima to finally break free of the MGS orbiting curse that he could never get away from but the other part of me is sad that we'll never get another good MGS game again in the future

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Konami's workplace sounded very unhealthy and toxic. So they were always in the wrong for creating that environment.

The way they parted with Kojima was unfortunate as well, but it was bound to happen at one point especially when the company headed into a different direction.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So, some folks not liking Kojima's new game makes Konami right? So that's ok, everything that Konami did to him,including separating it from the development team, I can't believe anyone questions who was right in the story, see what Konami released relevant since Metal Gear Solid V in 2015, millions of fans from their franchises are frustated, they just want easy mobile money and pachinco.Kojima from the ground up,in 3 years did more than the giant Konami in 4 years,and you asking who was right...
But yeah,in the end Kojima made the game he wants,and I am sure he is happy.And who said Death Stranding is not selling well?What was Death Stranding budget?Seems like you know.

Last edited:

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
There are so many assumptions and presumptions in the op and even with those I still have no idea what the main question actually entails. Right about what?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Though he did mention a 70+% drop in US and UK sales during week two. But that's only physical anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.