• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 359 94.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Last week I had a very heated argument about this. To not skew the poll, I won't say my position.

Also, my previous moral dilemmas threads have turned very toxic very quickly. Please try to keep the discussion civil this time.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
No, the mind is a powerful thing and if you have mental health issues it can be overwhelming beyond your control.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
if someone committed suicide, they probably had a lot going on that i dont know about to make passing a judgement on them either way not needed.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
no, i'd imagine it takes an immense amount of courage and mental pain to go through something like that.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No. There's no way I can understand their state of mind and the pain they're feeling to make them jump to such a drastic action.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To reach the point where one can turn off their own survival instincts to willingly kill themselves means they reached their own limits, I cannot judge them for doing it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I honestly can't come to a conclusion on this.

Yes & No are my answers. I know a parent that committed suicide...their children have struggled and been destroyed emotionally and mentally since. I find leaving them for one's on relief 100% selfish. However, I also find wanting someone suffering, to stay, a little selfish (no child understands that though...at all).

My personal belief, is that I'd never EVER abandon my children or loved ones due to my own suffering. I mean to much to them and love them. Having said that, I've never once, in any way, wanted to die. Not when my dad died, not when my ex-wife cheated multiple times, not during my divorce, not when I hurt my back, not in 2008 when we lost everything to the crash...etc.

My ex-wife wanted to die (tons of mental health issues) multiple times, and I could never understand/grasp it with our two beautiful daughters being there. Her suffering (all mental, we had a great life compared to most) was absolutely real to her though.

Edit* For some reason I read the OP as "selfish" rather than "cowards". In that case, the cowards that do it are the criminals/evil people that do it to get away from justice/being held accountable. I'd say it takes the opposite of a coward to go out by your own hand for anyone else.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think death is obviously the most natural fear in the world so for someone to choose to confront it is actually brave rather than cowardly. It is of course incredibly sad and tragic that anyone feels the need to do that though and you would hope they have done everything possible beforehand.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
No. An important part of understanding human nature is understanding our instinctual neutrality towards, if not straight up desire for, self-destruction. There are myriad reasons for suicide, of course, but many are simply reacting to their environment or material conditions in a way that allows them some modicum of control.

I think that painting them as "selfish" is kind of one-dimensional as well.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Unless it's like Hitler or a mass shooter committing suicide to escape consequences for their bullshit. That's cowardly.

99.9% of suicides though are victims.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if they like did some horrific crime and committed suicide to avoid being brought to justice, sure.

The more common case of depression/addiction/some other debilitating mental illness brought them to it? No, of course not. You'd need to be a monster to think that.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It has nothing to do with abstract ideas as courage or cowardliness and everything to do with the very real mental stress or illness that individual is under.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously no except for those who did atrocities then chose death to escape justice like some nazis during WW2. I will never consider them as victims.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
no, but having others do the deed for you is a horrible thing to do to someone

jumping in front of a car/train, attacking security/police, etc

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, let me just kill myself said someone with no balls ever.

It requires a tremendous amount of self-loathing/depression and a weird kind of commitment to that ideal. It's not an easy thing to do and cowardly is definitely not the way I'd describe it. Neither is brave, for that matter.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's easy to judge people when you're on the outside. To you, their problems may seem inconsequential, but the mind is an interesting thing. My pain is not the same as your pain.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It depends entirely on why they did it, and what the circumstances are.

Also the poll needs more options.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not. Life can be a miserable disaster, and a very dark thing. The people who have committed suicide are, unfortunately, the ones that reached their limit. It's tragic.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
No, however I dont think of them as brave either which some people do (as in, brave enough to hurt and kill themselves)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the mentality is, in a very twisted way, born out of good intention, like trying to somehow shame someone into not committing suicide, but it's completely the wrong approach. If anything, it's just going to make someone who is suicidal feel that much more awful hearing again and again from people how they're "cowards" or "pathetic" for thinking that way.

I don't think they are cowards, like some other poster said I see them as victims.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
No. It seems like it would take a lot of mental fortitude to follow through with that, not weakness. They're victims.

Before this thread I hadn't thought of mass murderers who use it as a tool to escape punishment though. Those people are evil and cowardly.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
No, of course not. If we're talking the traditional image as opposed to something like the school shooter wanting to avoid facing consequences for their actions then suicide victims aren't doing it to take the easy way out, they're doing it because they think it's the only or best way out.

Even in cases where someone has left behind a family more often than not it's because they think they'll have a better life without them.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
What an awful question. Incredibly insensitive and insulting to the many people struggling with suicidal thoughts.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
No.....for the most part.

I say "for the most part" because I'm 100% sure there have been people who killed themselves out of cowardice.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Absolutely not.

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

-David Foster Wallace

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Of course they are coward in the same way someone getting smashed by a meteor falling from the sky is a goddamn idiot.
Let's all start blaming dead people for their demise, that's gonna gets us far.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
as someone who thinks about killing themselves far to frequently, not really

maybe im biased though

Status
Not open for further replies.