• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am starting to think so, especially given the following:

- Big framerate problems.
- Super scarce use of the HD rumble.
- No use of the d-pad.
- No adjustment of music/fx levels (the menu screen is embarrasingly naked).

Form me its like it lacks superbasic stuff.

And I don't see the need for rush, this part of the year was already pretty stacked with big releases.

Are you playing the game? What do you think about it? What do you think are the chances for a relevant update?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it was rushed but it's the first Nintendo game where the framerate is legitimately hindering my enjoyment. I feel like the game is constantly slowing down and speeding up and it kinda makes me nauseous.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's Grezzo's first HD game, so there was going to be some kind of growing pain no matter what

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yes everyone hopes that it was rushed and that a patch is in the works. Link's Awakening deserves better than this unfinished state. The game itself is marvelous, though! Finishing up the second-to-last dungeon and it is beautiful.

Please fix:
-framerate (triple buffer instead of double buffer?)
-flickering shadows
-no animated flowers 🌸
-d-pad support

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it was rushed, the frame rate is the only thing I could see having changed with a delay. The HD rumble wasn't seen as a value add for this kind of game, and the menu is pretty much a translation of BotWs.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
The framerate is the only one of those things that would bother me, the rest aren't things that I care about personally. Still the framerate being this bad is weird for Nintendo.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Compare it to Crash and Spyro remakes, which are full remakes, include 3 games, and cost like 40.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been in development for quite a while but I'd guess a hasty switch from 3DS to Nintendo Switch is what's causing most of the problems we're seeing with it. It was probably worth it from Nintendo's perspective since it wouldn't have gotten any attention on the old handheld but we're left with a $60 remaster of a GBA game that doesn't offer much in the way of improvement compared to the original and is even lacking in a few ways.

It's the first Zelda release I've willingly skipped.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Can someone explain the framerate issues for me? Is it just the switching from 30 to 60 that makes i frustrating or does it actually go below 30 often?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most games are rushed to some degree. Nothing about Link's Awakening is particularly egregious or emblematic of this outside of the framerate stuff.

Rumble was probably omitted because it was clearly meant to launch in conjunction with Switch Lite where the feature doesn't exist.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
They obviously wanted it to launch with Lite otherwise It wouldn't have. Maybe it was crunch time for development to meet the deadline and a patch is being worked on as I type this? Regardless I feel like it's easily playable/enjoyable in its current state. Granted I'm not too picky.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god, the inhumanity of it not featuring HD rumble enough!

Haven't played it yet, but given the sheer amount of love clearly on display that was put into recreating this game, it's pretty silly to call it "rushed" because of some extremely nitpicky minor issues.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I don't think so. The frame rate seems like a bandwidth resolution scaling issue, I think the game was made in a certain way that makes it a difficult fix.

The d-pad was a choice and could have been implemented if they wanted too. I did notice that the d pad does work on the crane mini game.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Compare it to Crash and Spyro remakes, which are full remakes, include 3 games, and cost like 40.
And are not LA, one of the most revered titles in what is literally one of the most iconic franchises in videogames.

Funny that you bring up Spyro as some great example of polish in a thread about a "rushed" videogame because the og PS4/X1 release had you download part 2 and 3 (20GB) because the retail release was literally unfinished.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it, yeah.

Game is great but the changing frame rate makes it difficult to enjoy at times — and I usually don't care about stuff like this at all.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's an extremely well made remake, just 1:1 with a very old (but amazing) game. the only issue (imo) is the frame rate which i'm hoping will get fixed but it hasn't bothered me too much so far.

the comparison won't be favorable to those trilogies, and i've bought both for switch.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I love it so far, but I have to say, the frame rate is an issue. I thought I wouldnt let it bother me but it isnt just in random spots here and there... its literally everywhere.

When I came out of the house to start the game and was greeted by that huge FPS dip, I was shocked. I thought they would have optimized it a tad better than this. Its still playable and I still love it, but damn...

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Game is not rushed OP. If anything they would be working on a patchbfor the frame rate. But the game as is, is one of the best this year.

They had to put those games for that price to sell. Spyro and crash are good games, but after many terrible Crash games and spyros death, nobody was going to pay 60 for a remake of their games.
Nintendo (for better or worse) knows Zelda is on a new high, and they can take advantage of that.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
it's not rushed it's just overpriced for what it is. even link between worlds was $40.

This. I don't feel it's rushed, just lacking the usual polish. Even with that said, it's a remake of a Gameboy game (That's not extremely long), so the $60 is pushing it.

To be fair, this is a problem with Nintendo games that I feel that we, as consumers and a community, let Nintendo get a pass on too often. We shouldn't be accepting paying $60 for ports of old games with minimal additions, like they've done with practically all the Wii U ports of 1st party games.

Obviously Link's Awakening doesn't fall directly into this catagory, but it's still overpriced what it is. $40 would have been the perfect price point for it's content and length.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how lack of dpad use shows it was rushed. It seems like a decision that was made specifically considering that they added analog movement speed to the game. They probably felt that the analog stick is what most people nowadays are going to use.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all, and Links Awakening is one of my favourite games ever. The option should have been there though.

Do we know when this game started development?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No.
Not every game has to use every Switch feature.

And the framerate issues are being blown out of proportions again - nothing that an update couldnt fix down the line.

Edit:

Oh this thread will turn again into bitching about the price of the game.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
The latest version of the Spyro 3 Reignited runs weird and some level geometry isn't correct as skateboarding shows, plus the further you go into the game, the buggier it gets. It is playable, but the game isn't polished as Spyro 1 is.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't see how lack of dpad use shows it was rushed. It seems like a decision that was made specifically considering that they added analog movement speed to the game. They probably felt that the analog stick is what most people nowadays are going to use.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all, and Links Awakening is one of my favourite games ever. The option should have been there though.

Do we know when this game started development?
I think giving players options is always a good thing. Is it really so neccesary for the game having Link walking at two different speeds when you know many people played the original game with a dpad and would like to do it again in the same way? Bad design decision in my opinion. Even the Lite has a dpad. Jesus. Its nuts.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that you bring up Spyro as some great example of polish in a thread about a "rushed" videogame because the og PS4/X1 release had you download part 2 and 3 (20GB) because the retail release was literally unfinished.
Not to mention that the Spyro remakes (assuming its not actually finally been patched) have frame rate (or was it frame pacing) issues of their own, as it never really feels smooth at all. I still enjoyed the Spyro remakes (especially the first two), but it certainly still has its issues.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I'm enjoying the game so far but I do agree that the performance is an issue. Hopefully they release a patch for it soon.

I would also like to see an update that includes the SNES controller as a way to play the game.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Does feel more like a budget title when the game seems more or less a remake of the original. I think some of these features could be forgiven if it was cheaper. Hopefully they can patch the framerate to be a fixed 60fps. Then again Cadence of Hyrule had HD rumble and it was really nice for a rhythm game.

Either way I'm hoping all this stuff is fixed for when they eventually release a Nintendo Selects line on Switch.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I don't feel it's rushed, just lacking the usual polish. Even with that said, it's a remake of a Gameboy game (That's not extremely long), so the $60 is pushing it.

To be fair, this is a problem with Nintendo games that I feel that we, as consumers and a community, let Nintendo get a pass on too often. We shouldn't be accepting paying $60 for ports of old games with minimal additions, like they've done with practically all the Wii U ports of 1st party games.

Obviously Link's Awakening doesn't fall directly into this catagory, but it's still overpriced what it is. $40 would have been the perfect price point for it's content and length.
The Wii U ones don't bother me as much because they are stuck on a dead platform and were $60 originally. Link's Awakening is available in so many places nowadays and they charge more than the brand new 2D Zelda for the re-release on Switch.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well the lack of Dpad support means my partner won't be playing it. The framerate issues are also disappointing. Hopefully they can fix both problems

Status
Not open for further replies.