• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
title

Also fyi for iPhone users you can both use an adblocker found in the app store and white list Era. I feel like many iPhone users are unaware of adblock on their phones.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it against TOS to admit to running adblock on Era?

Or am I thinking of Gaf, and that was something that didn't make the transition?

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's one of the few sites I do. Right now I have an ad for Acronis Cyber Summit 2020 for who knows what reason and one for Lumify because I'm apparently a sassy lass who needs eyes that wow.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't; far too many issues with browser redirects/malware in the past, both here and the old site. I'd be glad to if it was ever sorted out, but I know it's not exactly something Era can control.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do actually whitelist, this site's ads are generally extremely non-intrusive compared to most others.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't; far too many issues with browser redirects/malware in the past, both here and the old site. I'd be glad to if it was ever sorted out, but I know it's not exactly something Era can control.

Pretty much this. I use ublock and privacy badger to secure against tracking and potentially invasive scripts

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't use adblock, because not having adblock and seeing tons of shitty ads pretty much tells me when I am on a seedy site that I shouldn't stay on for long.

Also, the ads on this site aren't intrusive and have never really been visible for me. Just a couple on the bottom when I'm writing responses or something. Totally manageable even if I did use an adblocker

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
TBH, ERA constantly getting browser hijacking ads is what pushed me to finally get an adblocker on my phone

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
No, in fact I motion a dab towards the owners of the website every time I hop on this website with my adblocker enabled.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I do, but it's really annoying some times when ads take a minute to load and adjust the position of the page.

"Let me just click on this link here...."
*ad loads and shifts the page down*
*clicks on the wrong thing*
"Fuck."

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i feel like an idiot, i've completely forgot i should use some adblock on mobile. whats a good one for Android/Chrome?

i'll whitelist Era no doubt, i dont get any annoying ads here. some news sites though, jesus..

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely whitelist anything unless I'm paying to remove ads. I'm not letting the safety of my PC be at the mercy of ad companies, I've already cleaned enough PC's and had other "non-intrusive" sites hit my old PC's with malicious ads that I can't trust anything now. It sucks that the most passive form of site revenue is this shady but I'm not taking risks. I've gotten enough mobile redirects here that I don't even trust anything to not happen here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is an attempt to "catch" people.

I'll just say this - Era has been truly terrible at keeping out malicious ads, particularly on mobile, so even someone inclined to make sure Era got as much ad revenue as possible might be inclined to nope the fuck out after the millionth "you've won a free iphone" BS popup that happens on era and basically nowhere else.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I do, but it's really annoying some times when ads take a minute to load and adjust the position of the page.

"Fuck."

I hate this so much. Some ads also cause lag when typing on mobile. Lots of room for improvement in the ads department.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK

"Fuck."

Ha yeah that's happened to me so many times I'm starting to think there's some sort of nefarious AI shit going on.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't ad block but I haven't seen one of the nefarious ads people are talking about in ages, I guess it must vary by locality or something.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I do. I never click on the ads though, so I'm not sure it helps anything.

Full screen ads haven't been a problem in a while, but some recent ads block site content on mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.