• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I know, a bit of a drastic title, but hear me out.
I know they should, but the conference yesterday just struck me as incredibly odd. I stated as much in another thread, but it was the strongest argument by far for anyone to not get the Series X. At least at launch or in the foreseeable future.
  1. The emphasis was on Gamepass, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as that's the direction MS has been going in. However, if you're a consumer thinking of spending money this fall, this conference basically said "If you have gamepass already, you don't need to spend ANY additional money to play (most of) these games"
  2. If you were someone enticed by owning the strongest HW they didn't really show off what that would entail. The Gears 5 demo back in May did a good job of showing off what that extra power would bring, but again, that's pretty much been the only solid example so far
Microsoft really needed a ground up Series X title to show off its potential. Hellblade 2 could've been that, but it seems it's too early in development for them to show anything. Halo Infinite was always cross gen, but you'd think it would still show off some measure of potential, but so far it's failed to do that.

I understand they want to launch in the fall so as not to give the PS5 a leg up, but they seem to have conflicting messages on why consumers should choose them over the PS5. Hell, even over the current XBO systems. Obviously cross gen games won't be a thing forever and they usually decrease a year or so into a new generation, but if it'll take months to see XSX ground up games, and months after those reveals till they're actually released, then what will have been the benefit of this fall launch?

Instead of launching with a bang and a compelling case to go with MS for this next generation, it seems like it'll be a somewhat middling launch where the value of the system (in terms of the new power and features it brings) won't even start being realized till way later

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
As long as people buy into the ecosystem in some manner I'm pretty sure they won't care. Wouldn't even be surprised if they already expect to underperform hardware wise against the PS5. It's all about the software revenue for them.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Yes the care, but they are also fine if you are just subscribing to gamepass and play on Xbox one or pc

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Yes, but not only that.They more so care about everyone playing their games, regardless of platform. They'll worry more about shifting everyone to Series X when exclusives start rolling out.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm sure they do, means you are a more dedicated customer. But they really just want you to buy a game pass sub, the entry point doesn't matter.

As a customer, I think that is fantastic. So whatever.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well put, OP - you described my situation pretty well.

If I had a PC or Xbox already, yesterday would've been all I needed to see for joining Game Pass (in addition to what's already there).

Being that I don't have a PC or Xbox though, and I'd need to essentially 'buy in' before "buying in" (as in spend hundreds before being able to subscribe) - nothing they showed yesterday really enticed me to spend that much to buy in to be able to take advantage of the service.

I was hoping to be blown away enough to WANT to buy an Xbox, but I really wasn't. I wanted Halo Infinite (a franchise I've never even touched, really) - to be their Breath of the Wild moment, where the game looked so good (not only visually, but everything) I'd just have to check it out, but I don't really feel like I'm missing much if I don't get to experience it, unfortunately.

It's like how my wife feels about buffets. She hates them because they prioritize quantity over quality, but they still charge a lot for the price of admission. Her thinking is always "if I'm spending that kind of money I'd rather get a way better meal even if I only get to have it once". The presentation yesterday kind of felt like an advertisement for a buffet. "Spend this much for the price of admission and get access to....well, some pretty good games".

Cornetto

Oct 26, 2017
New consoles will cost a lot, we're amid a global recession, they'll have Lockhart for way less money. Enthusiast will still buy the console, the masses will hopefully buy Lockhart or just subscribe Game pass. I don't think that they don't won't to sell Series X, it's just not a priority right now.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They have to. They can't build Game Pass as well without expanding Xbox's foundation as a console brand. It is the center of the ecosystem and keeps it fortified.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
They've said time and again it's ok if you don't. They want to give the option through GP to be in the ecosystem and when your ready, everything you had before will be there. That's the big push.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that they're doing their own thing now and each of the big 3 are focusing on different strategies. It's looking like Microsoft is transitioning to more a Netflix model where "Xbox" is on PCs, it's on TVs, and later down the road it's on mobile/cell phones through XCloud. They're pushing an ecosystem more than they are a box.

Sony seems to be the only one really sticking with the "traditional" console launch mentality this time around.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. As long as you buy their software or services, I doubt they care. If they did, they wouldn't make PC the best place to play their games.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they do, but subscriptions are absolutely the name of the game now and Microsoft is smart to see that. They're basically starting a new generation without fully committing to it while offering a two-ish year window for folks to truly get into next gen (before games become Series X exclusive), all while building up their user base through game pass and XBL gold.

It's a somewhat risky but also smart move. No one else is doing what they're doing.

Jul 13, 2020
Another Negativity Fly-Trap thread.

Yes, MS cares. No, they don't care what platform you have your GamePass subscription on, as long as you have one. They want tens and tens-of-millions of GamePass subscriptions.

Next thread.

Oct 30, 2017
Nope. If you buy an Xbox (Series X, S, One X, One S) fine. But their games on PC, fine. Subscribe to GP (Xbox, PC, or Ultimate), fine. Use Xcloud, fine. Whatever way is the best for you and your situation, is fine with them.

As long are you are buying games or subbing. Thats the important part. Not where you do it.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, they care about you subscribing to gamepass.

It's part of why I think launching the series X alongside the PS5 is a mistake. It makes it seem like they're competing when really MS should be giving new hardware as much of its own space as possible.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
They kinda care but they care more about people joining their ecosystem. They don't care where you spent your money on them, they just want you to spent money on them.

Hasn't negatively affected X1 sales, I doubt it will do that for the XSX. Probably not gonna outsell PS5 but it doesn't need to.

Oct 29, 2017
They do, of course. They would've have made a big deal about how powerful it is, or invested the shitton of money it takes to manufacture and market a console if they didn't.

They probably don't care whether it outsells the PS5 or not, though. They are aiming at a FAR bigger market than consoles will ever reach.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony and Microsoft's approaches differ drastically now. There is no console war to argue over.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the idea of getting rid of traditional generation barriers means you're definitionally less concerned about what box people are using

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
As long as people buy into the ecosystem I'm pretty sure they won't care. Wouldn't even be surprised if they already expect to underperform hardware wise against the PS5. It's all about the software revenue for them.
that really doesn't make any sense if that's their logic.

If i can get all their games on PC with or without game pass and consider the Series X unnecessary they lose out on my Gold Subscription, any services i might use through Xbox and their substantial cut (30% i think) from 3rd party games.
No amount of buying into Gamepass or even buying their games on PC for full price can recoup the loss they experience by not having the customer use their console.

Their strategy doesn't make any sense to me because they are behaving like non-console manufacturing game publishers (Ubi, EA etc.) while selling a console with little to no incentive to get into it anymore for me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XSX is just for people who don't want a PC. Because if you don't have a powerful console that can play your gamepass games, who cares? Build the install base. Expand it (to PC) and rake in the subs

OP
OP
808s & Villainy
Oct 27, 2017
xboxera.com

Phil Spencer: ''If this is not the year when a family wants to buy a new Xbox, that's okay''

The COVID-19 pandemic is having a great impact on many peoples lives. People are losing their jobs, have less security about the future and might need to

Phil Spencer said it's ok if family's don't want to but it this year.
Okay, so I'm not going crazy lol. There's a reason I specifically said this fall. They're obviously not releasing new HW for people to never buy it, but it just seems they don't seem to be pushing you to buy it around launch as long as you're in their ecosystem in some way

But then it still makes me wonder about the long term strategy

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Gaming enthusiasts are really struggling to come to terms with Microsoft's console strategy. It's been quite the show.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they're doing their best. They are more interested in subscriptions than consoles, if thats what you mean, tho.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not as much as they used to 10 years ago, but still yes. XGP (at least in the next couple years) will get most of its users from consoles/pc. Xcloud will take some time to grow up and make up the majority of XGP users.

Status
Not open for further replies.