• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
So, this is something that appeared in my Youtube recommended since yesterday. Douglas TenNaple (The creator of Earthworm Jim, Neverhood, Armikrog) has been putting up a series of videos on his Youtube channel..

Doug Plays Level 1 with his kids:

Bonus Level Andy Asteroids:

Level 2 and Level 3 live stream with game designer Nick Bruty:

The videos are pretty great so far. Dough really breaks down the design mechanics on how each level works, and Nick Bruty has a lot of interesting things to say about his level design work on "What the Heck"; level 2 and part one of level 3; "Down the Tubes". Nick Bruty is also apparently working on a MediEvil remake for the PS4 with Sony.

Edit gusts = guests (I really should spellcheck the titles before posting them)

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Devs playing their own games will always be interesting, but wish TenNaple hadn't turned out to be a shithead so i could watch/enjoy these. But since he is, i cannot.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'd have loved to watch these videos if this guy wasn't a repulsive bigot. I really idolized the guy as a kid and could not have been more obsessed with EWJ if I tried. Such a damn shame.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Doug is not a good person and I would recommend against giving him views.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Have a stream where someone straps him to a chair and forces him to play Earthworm Jim 3D instead, except the final boss because he might like that. Also, have it so that he loses money when you watch the video instead of the other way around.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, OP. If haven't gathered by now, TenNaple isn't exactly a person worth promoting and for good reasons. I don't care what game he made but as long he still harbors and promotes his bigoted views. The man is not worth talking about.

Plus Earthworm Jim is incredibly misogynist given how the game treats the princess. She doesn't even have a name.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a massive homophobic bigot who genuinely thinks that corporations want to help people and that the general public is the real villain

Don't support him

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As a bisexual non-binary person: fuck this guy.

Please don't share his content here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Did he explained to his kids the irony of creating a literal character that identifies as male while being hemaphrodite meanwhile still being a huge transphobic breitbart writting asshole ?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Was disappointed when I found out about his views. I loved Earthworm Jim as a kid.

Me too I loved his art growing up and he was a huge inspiration to me when I wanted to get into illustration. I even used to post on his forum so once it all came out that he was this atrocious douche-bag I've found it difficult to go back to anything he's done.

In short fuck youuuu Tennapel.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Plus Earthworm Jim is incredibly misogynist given how the game treats the princess. She doesn't even have a name.

To be fair, that was lampooning the damsel in distress trope on itself, which it's hard to tell now that he retroactively has ruined his own legacy.

On the other had, who knows, i mean people could barely tell Professor Monkey for a Head and Bob the Psycho Goldfish were his attempts at making fun of the theory of evolution (which he rejects).

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
EWJ was a big part of my childhood, so it was disheartening to know about Tennapel's views. But I'll flip my inner denial switch and crank up the cognitive dissonance to watch the videos because I want to live in the alternate reality where he turned out to be a cool dude.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EWJ was a big part of my childhood, so it was disheartening to know about Tennapel's views. But I'll flip my inner denial switch and crank up the cognitive dissonance to watch the videos because I want to live in the alternate reality where he turned out to be a cool dude.
Each to their own, but supporting this shit is harmful.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I know there's a lot of accusations being thrown around and for people are just now discovering what kind of guy he is I think this is a decent refresher to where Doug stands on stuff;

Ran across it by accident more or less really recently and it was the first time I'd heard it right from the horses mouth. There's timestamps in the comments that go over every subject they touch on so knock yourself out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to watch it anyway despite him being who he is... please don't announce that to us.

Supporting his shit is harmful to many of the members of this community.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
my mommy always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say about someone you should say nothing, so I'll just say that Doug TenNaple is a steaming pile of nothing who can get nothinged and take his his nothing-ass awful nothing opinions with him

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, it sucks that he is such a massive prick because when I was a kid he struck me as super creative and rather inspiring.

Now he can just fuck off.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for OP's alerts, assuming they didn't know.

Also fuck this Gavin McInnes-looking shitpile.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
TenNaple is a garbage person and I regret ever buying any of his comics as a kid.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Formative experiences that every 16bit gaming fan has to go through: realising that EWJ is not nearly as good as you remember it being and learning that TenNapel is an irredeemable shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.