• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
thonerayman

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017

There are a ton of DBZ games, a big one is about to come out early next year. Same people doing the voices. Especially since it looks like it's a ton of the cast if the report is right. Yamcha is done by Sabat, he directs the audio for the show and almost every game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes. I'm sure we should be looking to Nick Rekieta as the arbiter of truth. He most certainly does not have an ulterior motive here. Nope.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns surrounding homophobia, prior related infraction
A joke over the radio doesn't hurt anybody.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, yes. I'm sure we should be looking to Nick Rekieta as the arbiter of truth.
This Nick Rekieta, just so we're clear?

D1A1pIBXQAEBXpX.jpg

OP
OP
thonerayman

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Might've just been watching old episodes of TFS Abridged

I've never watched abridged and while that would be messed up if they mode those jokes there, I kinda hope that's what happened. Christopher Sabat is one of my favorite people. I own thousands of dollars worth of Vegeta merch because of his take on the character. This is heartbreaking.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
They also made incest and rape jokes on allegedly on company time. Its pretty alarming stuff and I wonder did it happen recently or years ago

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's clear this is retalitory from Vic and his crew.

That said this isn't okay, apologies are needed, and Funimation needs to say/do more than "no comment". I'm sure they are formulating something but still.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
They're also nearly 20 years old and were leaked in bad faith by blackface lawyer.
Y'all are falling for this James Gunn bullshit again.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The audio is from 2002?

Not that it was ever okay (it's not) but if we canceled everyone who made homophobic jokes 20+ years ago there would be like, nobody left.

OP
OP
thonerayman

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see anything about it being from that long ago. Not that it makes it that much better honestly. But yeah

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Don't forget:
This is from 2002. It was leaked because the leaker has a contact in Funimation. That leaker is Nick Rekieta, a man who frequently uses all flavor of bigoted slurs TODAY in his tweets and especially his streams, who has worn blackface and used the "I have a black friend" excuse, and has admitted he just wants women to shut up and not speak out about their assaults. He backs Vic Mignogna, a voice actor who has been accused by dozens of women, if not hundreds, of sexual misconduct, including several. This was leaked specifically to put out a smokescreen because Vic is horribly losing his suit against two of the women who accused him, one of their spouse's, and Funimation for terminating contract with him.

Also as has been pointed out, there's already a topic about it over in OT, I've already made a more in-depth post over there, too:

But, if you're upset about this, it'd be hypocritical not to also look into Nick's own homophobia and the sex pestery of his self-admitted friend Vic:
It's a big thread but I'd be happy to direct you to any of the countless evidences.

But to summarize: Yeah, Sean needs to apologize. There is no excuse for saying the f-slur if you're a straight man, ever. But the rest, AND given we only know this happened because an alt-right shitlord leaked it to either deflect or to say "see you're a hypocrite"? It's whatever to me, as a queer guy. It was 2002, the height of this kind of humor. If they need to apologize, so does basically every comedian over 30 on the planet who doesn't market themselves as family friendly, including LGBTQ ones. And it'd be nice if they did, but that's basically impossible. Unless they come out and say "nah we stand by these shitty jokes", it's whatever. But, I will say, apologizing as well couldn't hurt.

Now if they made these jokes today? Sure, couldn't say anything against people being mad. But given most of them just spent the better part of a year trying to support sexual assault victims from a charismatic shitstain who looks down on his gay fans... Well...

I've never watched abridged and while that would be messed up if they mode those jokes there, I kinda hope that's what happened. Christopher Sabat is one of my favorite people. I own thousands of dollars worth of Vegeta merch because of his take on the character. This is heartbreaking.
As a pansexual man myself, trust me when I say I'm confident Sabat is a much better man now than he was then. Don't feel bad. I can't see him standing by such an awful joke.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I didn't see anything about it being from that long ago. Not that it makes it that much better honestly. But yeah

The context of Time is very important when discussing anything, especially with regards to societal norms and language used two decades ago in private. Otherwise nearly every adult on Earth is 'cancelled'.

Falling for the Alt-Right's playbook time and time again isn't smart either. The context of this is an insane lawyer trying to smear a set of workers in any way they can, which also included dredging up someone's husband's divorce proceedings and citing what his ex-wife accused him of with no proof.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
They're also nearly 20 years old and were leaked in bad faith by blackface lawyer.
Y'all are falling for this James Gunn bullshit again.

This.

Hopefully those involved have properly apologized or will if they haven't though. I think I read in the other topic that some have addressed this in past conventions before?

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
This is 20 years ago. It's bad, yes, but let's be honest. Back then, the only place on the internet where homophobia wasn't crushed immediately was GAF. OGs know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.