• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
There they go, all my dreams of Skate 4 flying away

Electronic Arts has abandoned its trademark for Skate, leaving little hope for a Skate 4.

According to a United States Patent and Trademark Office (UPTO) listing, the trademark was re-upped in February 16, 2018. However, as of August 1, 2019, the company had abandoned it. A trademark can be considered abandoned when the applicant refuses to respond to correspondence from the USPTO.

This is not a full end, but it's a dark future indeed.

EDIT: Check the threadmarks, the trademarks are still alive, they lost the one about selling digital media: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-abandons-the-skate-trademark.151900/post-26253679

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean an indie company could pick up the trademark and make a skateboarding game called Skate?!

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
d84.jpg

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not out of the realm of possibility for Kojima to pick up the IP now for his next game.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I assume this means EA don't sell the game on any platform any more? Otherwise wouldn't they need to keep the trademark? At the very least I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to renew it and sell the game on Origin or Steam or whatever. Surely maintaining the trademark is just basic housekeeping?

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
For all you PC gamers, I direct you to: Session

store.steampowered.com

Session: Skate Sim on Steam

Made by and for skaters, the dual stick controls faithfully reproduce your feet on the skateboard for an ultra-realistic experience. Try out real-life iconic skate spots, customise your skater and equipment with items from the top brands...

It takes a while to get the controls down, but it's all about spending hours finding the right line. It's still in Early Access, but it's a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea people cared about Skate
You clearly haven't been in EA's instagram comments.

store.steampowered.com

Made by and for skaters, the dual stick controls faithfully reproduce your feet on the skateboard for an ultra-realistic experience. Try out real-life iconic skate spots, customise your skater and equipment with items from the top brands...

It takes a while to get the controls down, but it's all about spending hours finding the right line. It's still in Early Access, but it's a lot of fun.
Session is good, and coming to Xbox One as well.

Also check Skater XL.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

store.steampowered.com

Sadly it didn't meet it's multiplayer stretch goal which is why I cancelled my pledge.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, who at EA would've even been able to make a Skate 4 let alone a GOOD Skate 4? The Skate 4 stuff always felt like a thing people tried to will into existence without considering the reality of current day EA. People would've loved Skate 4's new feature Skate Ultimate Team...

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still baffled Ubisoft hasn't done anything in this space. They made (admittedly mediocre) skateboarding games before, have a studio who did something similar with Steep and they have open world cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York already done...

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still baffled Ubisoft hasn't done anything in this space. They made (admittedly mediocre) skateboarding games before, have a studio who did something similar with Steep and they have open world cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York already done...
I'm surprised as well. They like to have those weird projects from time to time, the problem is that I don't think any of those have worked sales-wise.

They could remake Shaun White Skateboarding ....

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
EA would've made another street before skate. I couldn't imagine skate game doing that well today.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were the games even that good as games. I played a bit of the third one and the way it controlled was decently fun but everything around that was just kinda crap. The story and challenges were just not fun. The Tony Hawk games as a full package were much better back in the day. Kinda think Skate 4 has just become a meme that people are joking about wanting.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Were the games even that good as games. I played a bit of the third one and the way it controlled was decently fun but everything around that was just kinda crap. The story and challenges were just not fun. The Tony Hawk games as a full package were much better back in the day.
Skate 3 is the worst one, mainly because it fucked up the progression. Skate 1 and 2 were really really good, it made you feel like a real street skater going Pro.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Era, lets pool our money together, buy the trademark and make our own skate game.

Key art:

d23xamb-83a1dbb6-4fe9-475d-88b2-58a174f9fca6.jpg

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be too sad Skate fans, it's not like EA would make a Skate game that wasn't a live-service filled with micro-transactions, DLC and loot boxes anyway.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

store.steampowered.com

And coming this month to Xbox One too in early access.

Status
Not open for further replies.