• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

DyLy-s0V4AAPjYm.jpg

Remember the disaster that was Battlefield 5, which was discounted to 50% for physical copies less than a week after it's "real" launch? Seems like EA has learned...a little bit (there is no 2 days early for the more expensive version!), but the fact that you have to put out this chart says a lot about how fucked everything in this industry is

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
This launch is going to be terrible. If you're even remotely interested you might want to hold on preorder.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
EA Access actually saving me here. I'm interested in Anthem, but not enough to pre-order.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legion of Dawn edition should also have an early launch on the 15th imo. Not rewarding people who spent extra on your game from a brand new IP (meaning they're likely to be loyal fans) is a dumb mistake.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO. I want Anthem but I'm gonna sit out the first two months, I think. They need to prove they've got it all together.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally this completely kills my hype for a game when I don't have one set time that it releases and everyone is playing. I can't be the only one. It's like ok, X percent of the players have already had and played the game for a week...it doesn't even feel new to me at that point. The discussion of the game is already done and out there and that new just released feeling isn't there at all.

Whatever. I tried by trashing BFV's launch. I guess it takes awhile to learn.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So you are saying if ea keep doing that, their games will be 50% off a week later? Please ea, keep doing it!!

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I paid a buck for Origin Access Basic and will play the 10 hour trial a week early, then cancel. EA got me.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally this completely kills my hype for a game when I don't have one set time that it releases and everyone is playing. I can't be the only one. It's like ok, X percent of the players have already had and played the game for a week...it doesn't even feel new to me at that point. The discussion of the game is already done and out there and that new just released feeling isn't there at all.

That you only buy games because of hype culture is honestly a bit concerning in itself tbh

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
"Here, let me show you a spreadsheet on when you can play our $60 game."

The EA Access and Origin Basic access on the chart is confusing. Tom Philips version is much better.

I'm actually getting more interested in the game. No interest a months ago but I have some now. I may pick it up when the price drops.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like an awfully arrogant move to segment your player base for an online only game at launch. Especially given its a new IP.

Very curious to see how this game performs, especially after how last weekend went.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Oh so it's not open beta you have to pre-order. Did not know that.

It seems like an awfully arrogant move to segment your player base for an online only game at launch. Especially given its a new IP.

Very curious to see how this game performs, especially after how last weekend went.

I'm getting second Andromeda feeling.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I feel like if you have to make a chart like this then it's probably too complicated

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018

I'm confused here, why does a non competitive game having a staggered launch kill your hype? It's not like people are going to have some sort of "advantage" over you or anything.

This is just ea trying to incentivize people to pay for their subscription service, I'm not saying it's a cool practice but letting it kill your hype seems a little extreme. If anything you can allow the people who play it early influence your decision to buy by hearing what they say about the game and it's content.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give it another shot if they fix those bugs that prevent you from actually playing. Have they patched that yet?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
EA has far too many business guys making decisions and not enough input from other facets of the business . This makes total sense to share internally to let everyone know within EA what is going on around the launch of Anthem. To make this a part of your consumer messaging shows how out of touch they are with their audience.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Chart thing seems pretty straight forward to me. If you pay EA for the service you play a few days earlier.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That you only buy games because of hype culture is honestly a bit concerning in itself tbh
It's a big part of it. I'm not buying Anthem in particular at least until the whole thing is out regardless.

I'm confused here, why does a non competitive game having a staggered launch kill your hype? It's not like people are going to have some sort of "advantage" over you or anything.

This is just ea trying to incentivize people to pay for their subscription service, I'm not saying it's a cool practice but letting it kill your hype seems a little extreme. If anything you can allow the people who play it early influence your decision to buy by hearing what they say about the game and it's content.
I explained it in the post you quoted but I'll give an example. Say I was just able to buy God Of War now. Obviously this isn't that extreme, but it's the same thing to a lesser degree. Everyone's already played it and discussed it. It's all been said. There isn't any social aspect to it at this point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
This launch is going to be terrible. If you're even remotely interested you might want to hold on preorder.

The open demo this weekend is key IMO. It was a mess during a limited demo last weekend. If they got the server side issues resolved and it runs smoothly during a public open demo weekend I think launch will be fine. I'd think more people will be playing an open demo than who buy the full game and play at launch (launch being staggered a week for Premier subscribes will spread out the launch load some too).

That said, it was so rough last weekend I'd be shocked if it wasn't more of a shit show this weekend. And if so, yeah I'd hold off and wait and see how launch goes. I'll be holding off a while anyway as I need to see what reviewers think and how impressions are once people here hit the end game and play that a month or more. I don't want another Destiny where it's a crappy, short story mode and then a repetitive, grindy end game with little point if you aren't interested in raiding with friends weekly.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
EA can't figure out how to unlink my PS4 from a deleted Origin account so I can never play Anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.