• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The long-anticipated sequel to the Eddie Murphy classic is in the process of being sold by distributor Paramount Pictures to Amazon Studios, in a deal worth roughly $125 million, insiders said. The expected streaming premiere date is December 18, sources added.

Final details are being hammered out, sources said, including two complex consumer marketing tie-ins with McDonalds and whiskey brand Crown Royal, which are expected to transfer over to Amazon Studios with the film. Murphy, who produced, as well as stars in the film, has to give his blessing.

In the sequel, Prince Akeem is set to become king of the fictional country of Zamunda when he discovers he has a son he never knew about in America — a street-savvy Queens native named Lavelle. To honor the former king's dying wish to groom his grandson as the crown prince, Akeem and Semmi set off to America. Murphy, Hall and Jones are reprising their roles. The film stars Jermaine Fowler and supporting cast includes Tracy Morgan, Leslie Jones, Arsenio Hall and Wesley Snipes.

I can't wait to see this. I still watch the original at least once a year and tbh I forgot this was coming out. Looks like it's not too far away now. More info below.

variety.com

Eddie Murphy’s ‘Coming 2 America’ Moves From Paramount to Amazon Studios

In a rich deal, Paramount will sell Eddie Murphy's "Coming 2 America' to streamer Amazon

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 for me. First one is one of the best and funniest movies of all time!

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
$125 million is record, by far, for an acquired movie (Hamilton was $75 million, I believe).

Dec 31, 2017
First one is such a classic. Really makes me nostalgic as I lived in Queens too.

I hope the new one can live up to it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
hyped for this. dude worked with Murphy on Dolemite is My Name and that was a lot of fun, Murphy's still got immense charisma when he's in something decent.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I can probably guess the twist right away though although I have no knowledge of the film: The kid is from one of ladies Arsenio Hall was shagging when he was pretending to be the prince?

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I thought we already had a thread on this?

Edit:
Ah yes.

www.resetera.com

Deadline : Amazon Purchases Eddie Murphy’s ‘Coming To America’ Sequel

2nd title sold from Paramount to Amazon : Tom Clancy Without Remorse and Coming 2 America. Tough months ahead for movie theatres owners. https://deadline.com/2020/10/eddie-murphy-coming-to-america-in-amazon-streaming-talks-uncertain-theatrical-marketplace-1234596555/
Oh whoops. Searched for Coming 2 America so that's why I missed it, good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.