• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
A vtuber named Zentreya had posted two now deleted tweets about their frustrations with Elden Ring and the way that the chat would backseat everything or punch down whenever they had done something wrong instead of letting Zen do what they prefer to do ingame.

Edit: tweet is now protected but this is what it said:
OxqV1pZ.png

Basically they had been streaming Elden Ring the last few days and the chat became increasingly toxic and was backseating everything that they did ingame to the point that after trying it again for 7 hours, they finally gave up and said that they would play it privately. The fans weren't happy to hear that and began to harass Zen until the account was finally put on private.

I don't have much experience with Elden Ring yet but do Souls/ER fans have this sort of problem? Its not the first time I've heard about it. Seems to be a common sentiment among many other streamers from what I can see searching around.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Of all the communities/followings that games, genres or companies have, there's always a toxic side. But FromSoftware has one of the worst in my experience online.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Twitch chatters and Fromsoft stans, name a more toxic duo. I love me some Fromsoft but anywhere you go these people who live and breathe their games will do whatever they can to impose elitist standards on other players. The backseating had been bad already, but then the harassment started following it. Zen is a great streamer so it is upsetting to see that they had decided that they were going to go private for a time. I'm not a fan of the saying but these people really need to touch grass.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
You can "thats gamers" and "thats twitch chat" all you want (and it is true to a certain extent) but its deflecting from how absolutely fucking toxic the fanbase for this is. Especially towards people who try to criticize the game online.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been watching streams of Elden Ring but I do love watching streamers figure things out and take their own approach with Souls games, and I think the streamer asking questions for hints is fine but when you're constantly told you're doing the wrong thing it can get frustrating.

Harassing streamers who don't want to deal with that is bullshit.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
This is why Maximillian's mods instantly bans anyone who tries to backseat without being asked.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You can "thats gamers" and "thats twitch chat" all you want (and it is true to a certain extent) but its deflecting from how absolutely fucking toxic the fanbase for this is. Especially towards people who try to criticize the game online.
There has been a lot of toxicity around the game since it has launched sadly. Multiple game developers got harassed and had to private and deactivate their twitter accounts after criticising it.
It's a shame because the game is so good but the elitism that has been built around "the brand" of it makes the community incredibly toxic.
It's not just a case of "twitch chat being twitch chat"

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

can't deny that. although I love Souls games, this constant elitist urge for some to say "git gud" when facing a understandably difficult challenge is probably the worst fucking part about the Souls community.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Two of the streamers I watch who play Elden Ring (or any game, really) are always quick with the bans in regards to spoilers and backseating. Such a damn shame that this person has been getting such a large amount of bullshit that they had to go private.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you think this is isolated to ER I got news to tell you. Twitch chat is the biggest pool of toxicity.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Backseat gaming is bad on twitch but fromsoft games seem tailored made for idiots to come into chats spouting that shit. Love streamers who just ban it outright

Also this, I've seen some wild stuff when it comes to any criticism aimed at it but it's also a big release with passionate fans so I try not to use any wide brushes but damn. They have a genuine elitist issue in their fanbase

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
I just love that Zen takes no bullshit and immediately bans them into oblivion
Great streamer mentality

and also, fuck backseat gaming. acting high and mighty

tabibito

Feb 27, 2021
Jesus tap dancing Christ.

God forbid someone doesn't play this game that has been painstakingly designed to be 100% open world and offer the absolute maximum degree of player choice, freedom, and customization options exactly the way you would, gamer bros.

Just utterly disgusting and moronic behavior on all counts.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
you can't deny it's more prevalent in Souls games, moreso than others

I only know this shit is so common in Twitch, especially to female streamers, that arguing is just a fanbase is missing the point. Remember when a FF7R streamer was harassed to tears?

Twitch is a cesspool and more needs to be done.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
every single elden ring twitch vod or stream i tune into has incessant backseating and constant questioning of how people are playing the game, being made fun of for using summon spells on boss fights, magic, npc summons, using a shield and not two handing the sword, the list goes on. that shit is beyond unacceptable.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the discourse surrounding From games is just horrible. This isn't surprising to me whatsoever. People are so defensive over their stupid games. Just let people play the way they want to, if you don't like it, move on.

It's the same with other twitch streamers I watch who upload highlights on YouTube. They put clips of chat being backseat gamers and replying to stuff like. Why aren't you using that armor or that armor. You must fight this boss now. Etc.

But I didn't think the trolls would go this far. Hope she recovers from this soon.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
every single elden ring twitch vod or stream i tune into has incessant backseating and constant questioning of how people are playing the game, being made fun of for using summon spells on boss fights, magic, npc summons, using a shield and not two handing the sword, the list goes on. that shit is beyond unacceptable.
Some people have serious issues.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically they had been streaming Elden Ring the last few days and the chat became increasingly toxic and was backseating everything that they did ingame to the point that after trying it again for 7 hours, they finally gave up and said that they would play it privately. The fans weren't happy to hear that and began to harass Zen until the account was finally put on private.

I don't have much experience with Elden Ring yet but do Souls/ER fans have this sort of problem? Its not the first time I've heard about it. Seems to be a common sentiment among many other streamers from what I can see searching around.
This is basically using toxicity on twitch to take aim at an entire fanbase...these complaints will have grown in size as the games went from niche to somehow the biggest game ever.

Bad people like the things you like, liking thing does not make you good or bad.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I only know this shit is so common in Twitch, especially to female streamers, that arguing is just a fanbase is missing the point. Remember when a FF7R streamer was harassed to tears?

Twitch is a cesspool and more needs to be done.

I'm not saying other games have not lead to this kinda harassment and I am not accusing the whole fanbase of it. its just that some Souls players that account for the vocal minority completely deteriorates the experience for so many people and you can't blame Twitch for that (I'm aware Twitch has it's issues) when I see it across the internet

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've made the comment before but as the series got bigger, the more unsavory types started to flock to it. It's just the nature of the beast when something gets more popular and more play it. I want to make it clear this isn't "well that just happens" to the streamer. I'm explaining why especially with Elden Ring we've seen more of it lately. Just look at any IGN post related to the game.

You'll always have that good part of the community of course but places like Twitch exacerbate the negative types who can bother others. Far too many loud players have taken the challenge of Souls games as a way to look down on others. Rather than the early days of Demon's where it was the challenge that brought the community together in the first place.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
People coming in to tell you "but its not just ER/From Software games" are a really good example of how fans of the series react to criticism.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This is basically using toxicity on twitch to take aim at an entire fanbase...these complaints will have grown in size as the games went from niche to somehow the biggest game ever.

Bad people like the things you like, liking thing does not make you good or bad.
The issue of Toxicity around Elden Ring's launch goes far wider than just Twitch backseating.
The difference is that no one bothers calling it out when its a game they like, and instead rather laugh at the memes that come alongside said harrassment.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. "Real" gamers always looking for ways to make things worse for others.
Thats probably not a FromSoft audience specific issue though - still sad to see. Sifu had some people going crazy as well.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stop blaming "Twitch Chat." Twitch Chat didn't harass Zen on Twitter until they privated their account.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Get shit on for using the actual mechanics of the game. Absurd.

Nov 2, 2017
When will these sweaty boys understand no one wants to hear about their expert knowledge in Game X. Just enjoy the stream of fuck off 🤡

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This isn't just a Twitch chat issue. The same things have been happening to people streaming on YT and thats not even taking into account that people harassed Zen on Twitter too for doing what she did.

If it was Twitch chat there would have been no need to private her account. But she did after being called out by harassers there.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
The back-seating seems on-point for the Souls games. I've always seen lots of "you missed this" or "go get this" on streams or YT comments and I can imagine that gets really annoying. Especially with how much freedom Elden Ring gives you. Fuck those idiots. But anyone harassing someone else over a game is just a huge prick and needs to get out a bit.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of people in the Souls fanbase that are overly elitist/gatekeeper-y and toxic, failing to realise that no one gives a shit about their requirements to complete the game or their achievements.

It's a shame as the community is also extremely helpful as well.

Culex85

Jul 13, 2021
Berlin, Germany
I just don't get these people. I guess it's especially bad with From games since they are always framed as "super hardcore games for a super hardcore crowd".
It's really irritating, since there have always been many welcoming, helpful and friendly communities surrounding the series. I guess the more popular the games become, the more jerks come in and ruin things for everyone (a lowkey example for this would be the ingame message system).

Drachen

May 3, 2021
image0.jpg

I'm not gonna pin it on the fanbase because that's dumb, some games just work up the back seaters more than others.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've been watching the Hololive girls stream this game for the pass few days and yeah the backseating has gotten to ridiculous levels.

That's why most streamers resort to sub mode or zero tolerance policies.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck these scumbags. Weapon arts and Spirit summons are best new additions to Souls to make these games a bit more accessible. Even as longtime fan i'm enjoying changing between them and experimenting. People who say ''but this is not the way it should be played'' go on ignore.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Twitch chatters and Fromsoft stans, name a more toxic duo. I love me some Fromsoft but anywhere you go these people who live and breathe their games will do whatever they can to impose elitist standards on other players.
Unfortunately, I agree with this. The toxic fandom Fromsoft has largely turned me off their games' community despite quite liking the games. The elitist attitude is unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.