• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Let me be clear.

A lot of people are worried that Trump will push the Supreme Court to steal the election for him. A lot of people. Myself included.

...but I've also seen a lot of confidence on Era and otherwise, that it "won't happen", that if Biden wins we won't have to worry about the Supreme Court pulling another George W. Bush situation, that the "vote counting" fuckery won't be used to manipulate the results somehow- that are biggest fear should be the scary shit Trump will do with his remaining time, including inciting domestic terrorism and violence.

But I haven't seen any explanation for why some people are confident that the Supreme Court can't help Trump steal the election.

To all the people saying that they aren't worried about this scenario:
Can someone explain like I'm 5 why you aren't concerned?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess one reason is that I would rather it be there vs the House given all the schemes going on.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You're going to get a lot of answers, and some of them will be nonsense, some of them will be nuanced, and some will be overly simplified but a lot of them are going to boil down to this basic thinking that a lot of Americans still have:

It Can't Happen Here.

There's a lot of people here, and in America in general not just ERA, that either can't or just flat out refuse to process what's happening and what can happen under the right circumstances and how close we could be to the edge. It's not a certainty to actually happen, but yes, it is very possible that the SC will be used as a tool to keep Trump as President regardless of what voting actually says. Anyone who thinks it's not is just dreaming.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's more important to the Supreme Court, their legitimacy or Trump getting a second term? Presidents come and go, but Justices are on the bench for life. It would be a terrible mistake on their part to destroy any credibility they possess by choosing the man over the position, especially since at most they'd buy him another four years.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
The House and Senate are likely going to flip to the Democrats, so it'd be nigh-impossible for the Supreme Court to attempt any shenanigans.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it doesn't look like being close.

But if by chance it is really close, then the supreme court is basically irrelevant. This is because America, given all the lies, death and disaster has been confirmed to be irrevocably fucked no matter who holds office at the end of it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's productive to think about it more than a second. What's that worrying going to do you good for? It's a huge fallout if it happens, shit way beyond any of our control.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
What's more important to the Supreme Court, their legitimacy or Trump getting a second term? Presidents come and go, but Justices are on the bench for life. It would be a terrible mistake on their part to destroy any credibility they possess by choosing the man over the position, especially since at most they'd buy him another four years.

If they're willing to clearly steal an election for him, I don't see why getting rid of or changing the term limits is so far out of the realm of possibility. Also, who the hell knows what America might even be like after four more years of Trump, especially if he's reelected illegitimately in the eyes of most sane people in the country.

Some kind of court fuckery is probably the number one thing I'm worried about this election.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
In order for the Supreme Court to be able to steal the election for him the election would have to be amazingly close. And I would like to think that the election would not be that close. Either the country will pull its head out of its ass and vote for Biden or it will remain firmly planted and they will continue to vote for Trump.

I really don't see it coming down to that tight of a race.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

If the SC did what the OP is proposing, it most likely would be the beginning of the end of the Presidency as we know it and it would be turned into a dictatorship. It would be a long term decision if the court decided to do that, not a short term one.

Yeah but they'd be able to repeal any decisions made

No, they would not lol. The Supreme Court is the final rule of law in the land, they cannot be vetoed by the House and Senate. Not sure where you're getting that idea from.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Let me be clear.

A lot of people are worried that Trump will push the Supreme Court to steal the election for him. A lot of people. Myself included.

...but I've also seen a lot of confidence on Era and otherwise, that it "won't happen", that if Biden wins we won't have to worry about the Supreme Court pulling another George W. Bush situation, that the "vote counting" fuckery won't be used to manipulate the results somehow- that are biggest fear should be the scary shit Trump will do with his remaining time, including inciting domestic terrorism and violence.

But I haven't seen any explanation for why some people are confident that the Supreme Court can't help Trump steal the election.

To all the people saying that they aren't worried about this scenario:
Can someone explain like I'm 5 why you aren't concerned?

It would have to be close, and it would be under the assumption that the election day numbers are overwhelmingly in Trump's favor to make it worth it to disregard those votes as they are going. The Supreme Court has to have a case to weigh in on and yeah, 100k votes getting thrown away is a big fucking deal and can give Trump the election. But are those 100k votes ALL Biden votes? Is he going to put a lawsuit up in all these swing states...will all these swing states have those kind of tight margins?

If a Florida happens we are fucked. But right now, a Florida happening is unlikely. And Trump needs not just one, but a few Florida's

Also, I would say its less that we are confident, but more like if it happens... That's it. American experiment done. There's no 'Well, see you in four years!' so I can get why people don't want to factor it in. Not like it does a patient going in for life or death surgery to focus in on the death part walking in

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I figure it Biden wins, it will be by a large enough lead where that can't be a realistic scenario.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Because that will set a bad precedent for future presidents. Supreme Court Justices are supposed to uphold the law & obey the constitution, not for a president. Same goes for the military in general.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Because there needs to be a reason to contest election results that would result in a SCOTUS hearing. There needs to be a reason for ballots/votes to be in question for there to be a process by which SCOTUS would eventually be involved. Amy Coney Barrett can't just decide she doesn't like how a particular state voted and negate the results.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Because I have a basic understanding of the political structure of this country, and of the likelihood of what happened in 2000 happening again?

This isn't going to be a close election that comes down to one district in one state. Trump will lose by at least a hundred electoral votes and several percent. Oh, he'll cry bloody murder, but the worst that will happen is what just happened in Texas. I'm sure even activist judges know if they take a blatantly obvious Biden victory and overturn it then they'll have launched the largest protests and riots in the history of this country. It will literally shut down until Trump is deposed or killed. Trump himself may not care, but these judges will also be in the crosshairs. They'll make a statement about how much they hate doing it, but any argument from Trump will get shot down.

He's one of the most inept politicians that ever lived, and he's managed to screw up every single thing he's tried. How can anyone look at the quality of his legal representation thus far and think for one second that he would have any chance of winning any legal challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.