• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most important issue for me right now because I have $90,000 in student debt after graduating from a state school. Having never wasted/retaken college credits, having transferred in some credits from a community college, and having graduated with honors, I still never got sufficient scholarships to cover my $12k/yr tuition plus living expenses as an engineering student. My loan payments are over $700/month a time minimum. I don't know when I will pay this all off. This cancellation means the world to me, and the free public college is important for my future children.

She has my vote right now because she has the most developed policies of any candidate I've seen thus far.

The first step in addressing this crisis is to deal head-on with the outstanding debt that is weighing down millions of families and should never have been required in the first place. That's why I'm calling for something truly transformational — the cancellation of up to $50,000 in student loan debt for 42 million Americans.

My plan for broad student debt cancellation will:

• Cancel debt for more than 95% of the nearly 45 million Americans with student loan debt;
  • Wipe out student loan debt entirely for more than 75% of the Americans with that debt;
  • Substantially increase wealth for Black and Latinx families and reduce both the Black-White and Latinx-White wealth gaps; and
  • Provide an enormous middle-class stimulus that will boost economic growth, increase home purchases, and fuel a new wave of small business formation.
Once we've cleared out the debt that's holding down an entire generation of Americans, we must ensure that we never have another student debt crisis again. We can do that by recognizing that a public college education is like a public K-12 education — a basic public good that should be available to everyone with free tuition and zero debt at graduation. My plan for universal free college will:

• Give every American the opportunity to attend a two-year or four-year public college without paying a dime in tuition or fees;
  • Make free college truly universal — not just in theory, but in practice — by making higher education of all kinds more inclusive and available to every single American, especially lower-income, Black, and Latinx students, without the need to take on debt to cover costs.
Some people will say we can't afford this plan. That's nonsense. The entire cost of my broad debt cancellation plan and universal free college is more than covered by my Ultra-Millionaire Tax — a 2% annual tax on the 75,000 families with $50 million or more in wealth. For decades, we've allowed the wealthy to pay less while burying tens of millions of working Americans in education debt. It's time to make different choices.

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/im-c...blic-college-and-cancellation-of-a246cd0f910f

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
And with this I am a Warren supporter. She has been saying a lot of the right things lately (specifically around taxes), but getting rid of my student loans would be great. My student loan payments are more than my car note and rent combined right now.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying HoW wIlL wE pAy FoR iT, but...it IS a concern that this isn't a realistic policy that will pass with bipartisan support.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like she's trying to get votes with empty promises, ala Bernie in the 2016 primary. Is there any realistic chance of this being passed at all?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, OP, where did you land job wise? Cause that's usually one of the few fields where a graduate is actually capable of repaying their student loans.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
That would wipe out my 50k worth of student loan debt, so yes please. This'll never happen of course though and I'll ve paying this off until I'm 60 😞

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'd jump at 50,000 coming off my student loans, but at the same time, I don't think it has much chance of passing.

It would be nice to get some sort of agreed upon interest % reduction across the board (6% is killer), or to have grad school loans not build interest while in school.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good idea, but I would be more into, "if I win, Betsy Devos is the first person I'm booting the fuck out of her position" and then work up from there.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, OP, where did you land job wise? Cause that's usually one of the few fields where a graduate is actually capable of repaying their student loans.

I landed an engineering job with a good paycheck for a couple of years, so it's the only way I could survive the payments because half of my loans are through the state of Texas, which has different unfair rules compared to federal loans (they capitalize my interest on the principal in more ways than federal, and it was unsubsidized while I was in school, and I'm not allowed to pay any amount on the principal until all the interest is paid off, which grows and capitalizes each year, and it's not eligible for income based repayment). I wouldn't have finished school if I hadn't done an engineering degree—I couldn't afford to study my original passion (graphic design or animation) at my school with the risk of not getting a job that could pay my debt early out of school.

But now, I still have most of the original amount left to pay, and I'm going to grad school because I hit a ceiling in my R&D career, and it's back to being poor while my loan interest grows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The real game changer here is the fact that a major candidate is proposing debt cancellation *at all*. The needle just moved hard on the issue regardless of your feelings on Warren or even the specifics in the plan. Student debt cancellation is now a 2020 issue.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Isn't this a little like buying votes? Like yeah if you give me 50 grand I'll vote for you? I'm not saying that student loans aren't enormous and a huge problem, but people here seem to be saying this is a good idea mainly because it directly affects them.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's nice to make big plans as they'll inevitably be scaled back.

However, student loan forgiveness primarily benefits the rich and upper-middle class. There are far better ways to spend the equivalent amount of money that would benefit middle class and poorer families -- specifically [possibly means-tested] daycare/pre-school programs and paid parental leave.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I landed an engineering job with a good paycheck for a couple of years, so it's the only way I could survive the payments because half of my loans are through the state of Texas, which has different unfair rules compared to federal loans (they capitalize my interest on the principal in more ways than federal, and it was unsubsidized while I was in school, and I'm not allowed to pay any amount on the principal until all the interest is paid off, which grows and capitalizes each year, and it's not eligible for income based repayment). I wouldn't have finished school if I hadn't done an engineering degree—I couldn't afford to study my original passion (graphic design or animation) at my school with the risk of not getting a job that could pay my debt early out of school.

But now, I'm going to grad school because I hit a ceiling in my R&D career and it's back to being poor while my loan interest grows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't mean to sound like an ass or anything, but I work IT for an engineering/construction firm so I hear this kind of talk a lot. Good luck with those endeavors, I both envy people who were capable of going back to grad school while also knowing I'd never survive there.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a little like buying votes? Like yeah if you give me 50 grand I'll vote for you? I'm not saying that student loans aren't enormous and a huge problem, but people here seem to be saying this is a good idea mainly because it directly affects them.

Student loans don't act like regular loans. You can't file bankruptcy out of them, and once someone loans you the government guarantees the entire loan to the lender, and transitionally the college, meaning college prices have shot up astronomically as once they get a student to sign on the dotted line, the money is 100% guaranteed even if they drop out a week later.

In truth, most of the loans won't actually be repaid, but the colleges and financiers can eat the shit they made anyway.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
This would be nice. All two of my work peers got their college paid for by their parents, and I see what an enormous gulf there is between us because of it. I'm struggling, and they're doing great all because they don't have the loans. We all make the same money.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's this any different from every Republican candidate in the last 40 years? Every wealthy person knows (R)'s won't tax them and will hand them money from the middle class's pockets.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
shoutouts to the "good things aren't possible" caucus of resetera, making their presence felt today

Uh huh, isn't student loan debt over 1 trillion dollars? How is 2% a year going to add up to a trillion any time soon, to say nothing of the fact it'll never pass in Congress.

the estimate is that a wealth tax would raise around 2.75 trillion dollars over ten years, and this plan costs around a third of that

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
She should be the frontrunner right now. The policy champion of anybody running.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Forgiving a debt is not giving someone money.

I guess I don't see the difference? Is it that the government owns that debt and it doesn't have to be paid back to the banks or something?

How's this any different from every Republican candidate in the last 40 years? Every wealthy person knows (R)'s won't tax them and will hand them money from the middle class's pockets.

Oh, it's not, it's just that we rightfully rail on people that vote for how it affects their pocketbooks/taxes, but it seems to be a similar thing here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do I get the $20K I paid back or...?
Hahahahahahaha. You're funny.

Forgotten generation. Graduate into a giant recession, with massive debt, fall behind in property ownership and retirement investment because of student debt obligation, but if you manage to pay off your debts too soon, you're in the "so it's 'fuck you got mine' for others huh?" camp.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
shoutouts to the "good things aren't possible" caucus of resetera, making their presence felt today

the estimate is that a wealth tax would raise around 2.75 trillion dollars over ten years, and this plan costs around a third of that
I just looked it up and the student loan debt is closer to 1.5 trillion (and growing). If it was me I'd focus on free education going forward first. That is the bigger issue for society. Admittedly that is part of her plan but the free education is the key.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God bless Warren. If everyone affected by student loan debt showed up to vote, and voted Dem, we'd her in office and both houses of Congress easily.

(If only it was that easy a fight.)

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It could be easily paid for by not constantly being at war / conflict with (insert country du jour).

It is of interest to me, having 2 kids and watching college costs spiral upward, reaching comical levels of "its not worth that much!" .I went to college, unless you are studying something like engineering or STEM stuff basically, most of what you will do in life isn't taught - Im in Strategic Soucing - I spent a total of 0 hours in college learning anything that applies to my career.

When I went to school (grad in 99) my university cost about $25,000 with room and board. Now it costs $68,500.

THAT IS INSANE.

I think free community college is realistic, and then there will be so many ways to complete a degree via 2 year online stuff at ALL schools (they are all fighting for money - they are all for profit/revenue/etc)

There is also a middle ground on debt relief as well.

TLDR - stop bombing brown people and we'd have education and bridges...

Status
Not open for further replies.