• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
So I've decided to make this thread and I'm probably going to get banned but like I'm sick and tired and frustrated with the way era has been going in dealing with trolls and dealing with users who are not being so subtle in their viewpoints to stir up drama in threads. Months ago I tried helping era but I just ended up feeling burnt out and hurt by the way things havnt changed.

Staff has had all these meetings which are helpful and we're positive. but the meetings havnt been enough in really stopping the major issues. What I'm talking about is the "stirring the pot" style trolling and whataboutisms in nearly every thread that has a "controversial "topic. Now my biggest issues with the forums is bad faith actors and their actions in threads as well as the ever growing maw that is gaming side.

As an example of gaming side melting down over smash currently.
(The example thread was merged to the main ot) so instead I recommend visiting the federal stimulus thread instead.

I often wonder if nobody ever wants to do anything about gaming side when it's all elitism and bitching about folks hot takes and absolutely horrendous threads that just don't sell anything other than the raw emotion of the op. Another thing is eras obcessions with brands such as cyberpunk or naughty dog or even harry potter to fight back against any form of criticism that is thrown at them. That's not a healthy discussion it's just a useless thread that becomes a typical echo chamber. (to the gitgudisms and pc master race fanboys that pack that side.) or the incredibly toxic smash community freaking out about a smash character. We are in no better place to tackle some of the biggest problems with the site. One of these issues with era I feel are the bad faith actors seeking out threads to stir up controversy such as political stimulus threads.(or general threads.) I've seen it quite often and yeah for whatever reason discussion never resembles a actual discussion.

What I am seeing is bad faith ideological brawls break out all over the site where everyone and their mother want to have the last laugh. And the more I've thought about it the more I've Realized how radicalized era has become and in a way I see the serpent eating it's own tail.theres a toxic userbase here that often feels uncontrollable. Going further the rate I see the anger or the dismissiveness of other users just permeate in every thread. Now this isn't staffs fault and I won't be attacking staff as they can only do so much but it's getting to the point where the most optimal place to make posts is via discord.

To be honest I just don't feel safe posting here anymore and I know it's election season but it's been like this for a while. Honestly my threads on gaming side tackling trans issues and the cyberpunk debacle really hammer home that anything I try to do won't be useful in the long term because nobody looks at threads like these. And even when staff pins them nobody bats us minorities an eye. You have troll forums attacking us at all corners and it makes me feel like there's plenty of bad faith actors as a result.

So I guess as a tldr 5 things
1.Black lives matter
2.Make better threads
3.Treat minorities with respect.
4.Stop fighting each other please and just listen.
5. And please stop doomscrolling.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno when this thread will get locked but tbh my take on this site is almost the opposite.

It's an internet video game forum trying to act like its this space of sophisticated decorum. It's fine to joke around, its fine to respond in gifs.

You gotta moderate the serious things. Racist, transphobia etc. but lets not pretend that this is some bastion of civility

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Dunno when this thread will get locked but tbh my take on this site is almost the opposite.

It's an internet video game forum trying to act like its this space of sophisticated decorum. It's fine to joke around, its fine to respond in gifs.

You gotta moderate the serious things. Racist, transphobia etc. but lets not pretend that this is some bastion of civility
It's more like I love era alot and I've made good friends here. But it's like i see all this bad stuff going down and it makes it hard to go back too. I think there's still hope but in a way there's just so many issues I see that cuts deep.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Im not a fan of "it's just a gaming forum" since it gets used to deflect from active fuckery.

But I do believe we can and should jest. Just not at the expense of real social struggles. I say this broadly.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

My take on this as well.

I won't pretend there aren't bad apples, but by and large the kids are all right.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
What thread? It's erased.
tenor.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I don't understand your example at all.
It's more a general negative response to the steve news that wasn't drumming up positive discussion that was bothering me. I used that thread as a good example because it was one of many that popped up as a result. People were getting really hostile and the amount of threads made was insane.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Nah there's way too much dismissiveness, you don't get to "few bad apples" this.
I'd also like to point out that we've had staff come out and point out how bad the gaming community has gotten. In response to the fact that staff can only do so much when the biggest hurdle is the community.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Yup. It's hilarious how serious y'all think y'all are.

And stop using the phrase "bad faith" every time you spot a disagreement. It's embarrassing. You wonder why there are so many trollols. You make it so easy.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Smash Bros fans have strong opinions so... white supremacy?

I lost the thread of your reasoning, I am sorry.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Thread started out talking about white supremacy and then shifted to Steve from Minecraft. I'm not sure I understand the issue.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I still don't follow the general idea behind what you're saying at all. The OP is kind of all over the place.

As an aside, I do think it's funny how some Etcetera-only people always shit on Gaming Side as if they were a weird unrelated group of uncivilized savages. It's such a roommate-like relationship.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That thread isn't a good example. It's totally valid, and I would argue useful in some circumstances, to say "this isn't really what I wanted, here's what I would prefer" if you say that opinion reasonably, as almost everyone did barring a small minority of users with bad hot takes. If it's a matter of "not every hot take needs its own thread" or "we don't need a million Smash threads" sure I can agree with that, but it was a focused discussion with little hostility.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Not following this at all. It's ok to be illogically disappointed in things. Theres nothing inherently toxic about it or harmful. Corporations like Nintendo and Microsoft aren't your friends so... :/

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
to the gitgudisms and pc master race fanboys that pack that side

Because PC Era totally didn't bail like a year ago lmao.

I love how people complain about the shadowy cabal of PC gamers running the site every time a thread that isn't related to (or, god help us, isn't positive about) Sony or Nintendo pops up.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I think the OP is just equating the way people come into threads in regard to white supremacy to stir people up as bad faith actors to trolls who just came into the Minecraft threads to stir up negative things. It is a bit odd as a comparison point but I get what they mean.

And this thread has already proven their point right. There's already been one post that's overly hostile and dismissive that's clearly just there to attempt to stir things up. It's definitely an issue, but most people have just accepted it by and large

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I think the OP is just equating the way people come into threads in regard to white supremacy to stir people up as bad faith actors to trolls who just came into the Minecraft threads to stir up negative things. It is a bit odd as a comparison point but I get what they mean.

And this thread has already proven their point right. There's already been one post that's overly hostile and dismissive that's clearly just there to attempt to stir things up. It's definitely an issue, but most people have just accepted it by and large

Yep if anything I feel that this effectively proves my point.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's okay for people to banter and talk shit over video games. Same with sports. What would the sports threads be without a little banter? I think the sports threads here recognize that everyone is a fanboy of their chosen team and they give and take with the roasting. It doesn't feel like video games get how to do that yet.

I think politics, racism, misogyny, etc. should be treated with a little more care and consideration.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to point out that we've had staff come out and point out how bad the gaming community has gotten. In response to the fact that staff can only do so much when the biggest hurdle is the community.

It's a shame they aren't in a position of power to do anything about that.

Like, I get moderation is never easy, but you get the audience you build.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm not sure if im following the OP. It's ok to maoe a light hearted joke here and there, but we do need to be able to spot the serious shit .

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

And stop using the phrase "bad faith" every time you spot a disagreement. It's embarrassing. You wonder why there are so many trollols. You make it so easy.

I dunno. Like all things 'bad faith' got run to the ground, but it's pretty much the main way people argue on this here Al Gore's internet.

Even today Ill see it; a sociopolitical topic, a someone keeps on just asking 'questions' and hypothetical as opposed to just speaking with his chest and taking his L's (or misreading the room and feeling it's going to be a dogpile when most are in agreement) and when cornered into giving a solid answer it's always a weird cop out ("I am not from the US").

The funny thing is I have seen people unfairly take lumps for actually being not from the US (LOL). But it's usually people who are trolling; I don't see how pointing out people are trolls when well...there are so many. Even now I can see people who grew up on 4chan debate even if they don't hold the same politics. Just straw men, personal attacks, and 'Golly gee willikers, after 30 replies I didn't know that basic fact about what I am arguing, please believe me!' tactics

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Thread started out talking about white supremacy and then shifted to Steve from Minecraft. I'm not sure I understand the issue.
Yeah, I clicked the Steve thread fully expecting to see some user trying to derail it by mentioning Notch's despicable views and then just watch the thread burn. I've seen it quite frequently later, and it's not rare to see people bringing up some creator's bigotry just to "stir the pot", as OP said, but then stop posting and just watch from the sidelines as other users engage with that discussion. It almost feels as if they're trying to trivialize sensitive subjects in order to make Era an unhealthier place.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

Umm, sweaty? There's a lot to unpack here. This post is some kind of dog whistle, I think. Probably a gaslighting dog whistle in bad faith, most likely.

Yikes! I just spent three hours going through all of your Era comments from the past two years, and oof, that's a yikes from me. I literally can't even right now. Oh sweet summer child, you do realize you are making me lose all faith in humanity? I'm literally shaking rn.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't know if we 100% agree on the issues with gaming side (but I bet we come close), but there sure are reasons I feel bad a lot of the time I participate in anything in it. And a lot of it is... I dunno how you fix it when a lot of it would be felt like you're destroying the site's culture. Which is probably a bad sign.

It feels like a mix of hostility and corporation worship a lot of the time. And I do not understand how adults cannot keep themselves from console warring. There is a degree that I understand that I am not that kind of nerd in that I personally don't really gain too much enjoyment from speculating about what this or that company are gonna do to compete (and instead have other things I'm a nerd about of course), and that people who do may end up getting too heated through that in a way that I wouldn't. But I don't know how you just go all in without asking yourself what you're doing.

Then there's the way I've constantly seen people talk about journalists that make me feel like I'm reading YouTube comments. And similarly the way I've seen people rush to be extremely hostile over any serious criticism - or even the possiblity of it - of a beloved game, and that's with "beloved" often meaning "a thing I've convinced myself I passionately love without even having played it yet". And I say that while being sure there's a lot of great threads that I unfortunately miss due to being put off of participating by the bad ones, but there's a reason I mostly stick to OTs.

...honestly, I don't know how this forum's going to get through the next 2 months. Console launches and US elections are going to cause a lot of trouble even in the best case. Though obviously the latter is, y'know, far more important separate from this thought.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Quick someone make a thread about how Minecraft is political
I mean, the argument could be made that Minecraft encourages colonialism and demonstrates a callous disregard for the environment by encouraging and rewarding depletion of natural resources via logging, strip-mining, hunting, etc.

I wouldn't make it personally, but I could see where someone was coming from if they did argue that.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Not following this at all. It's ok to be illogically disappointed in things. Theres nothing inherently toxic about it or harmful. Corporations like Nintendo and Microsoft aren't your friends so... :/

This, I'm not seeing it.
People don't like an announcement so gaming side is toxic now?
Nah, come on, there's so many gaming forums out there far worse than era

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
There was a thread and article about gamers being upset about the change of Peter Parker's design in the upcoming remaster. Lots of folks in the comments made fun of gamers for being immature and whiny. And now look at the reaction of the smash announcement lmao.

Shits hilarious to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I mean, I don't know if we 100% agree on the issues with gaming side (but I bet we come close), but there sure are reasons I feel bad a lot of the time I participate in anything in it. And a lot of it is... I dunno how you fix it when a lot of it would be felt like you're destroying the site's culture. Which is probably a bad sign.

It feels like a mix of hostility and corporation worship a lot of the time. And I do not understand how adults cannot keep themselves from console warring. There is a degree that I understand that I am not that kind of nerd in that I personally don't really gain too much enjoyment from speculating about what this or that company are gonna do to compete (and instead have other things I'm a nerd about of course), and that people who do may end up getting too heated through that in a way that I wouldn't. But I don't know how you just go all in without asking yourself what you're doing.

Then there's the way I've constantly seen people talk about journalists that make me feel like I'm reading YouTube comments. And similarly the way I've seen people rush to be extremely hostile over any serious criticism - or even the possiblity of it - of a beloved game, and that's with "beloved" often meaning "a thing I've convinced myself I passionately love without even having played it yet". And I say that while being sure there's a lot of great threads that I unfortunately miss due to being put off of participating by the bad ones, but there's a reason I mostly stick to OTs.

...honestly, I don't know how this forum's going to get through the next 2 months. Console launches and US elections are going to cause a lot of trouble even in the best case. Though obviously the latter is, y'know, far more important separate from this thought.
Oh yeah I forgot era ran off a journalist recently feels like ages ago. I even made a thread talking about that.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread and article about gamers being upset about the change of Peter Parker's design. Lots of folks in the comments made fun of gamers for being immature and whiny. And now look at the reaction of the smash announcement lmao.

Shits hilarious to me.

I mean, if you wanna bring up Spider-Man, the fact that this site had a thread for fricking "puddlegate" without immediately locking it for being something we don't do here is when I lost a lot of faith for the culture ever changing.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, video game are not really what the OP is talking about, they just happened to be involved
I think there's a difference.

When we are talking about a very serious matter, it makes sense to moderate that more seriously. I think there's a margin of low effort posts/jokes that can still be made in good faith on serious topics (See: Daily Show/John Oliver etc) but you can't be derailing a thread with them.

A thread about a smash character? Have at it. Don't personally attack people but lets not pretend we need to have proper decorum and civility for this

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You're never going to get rid of different opinions or viewpoints. There's always going to be arguments, disagreements, even flareups. Moderating when stuff goes off the rails, or people go to far is all well and good, but we're never going to be in agreement on everything.

Expecting ERA or anywhere to be a place where we all hold hands and never get upset is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.