• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Short version:

9DoCXox.png

Long version:

There's a <1% chance that people will remember a study I posted about on GAF a few years back. Now I'm doing another one (for another semi-pointless master's degree) and I need more live brains to take part. You folks made good guinea pigs last time so I'm hoping for a repeat performance.

The subject this time around is social media and the leakage of people's personal data. I'm specifically looking at certain kinds of social media posts that directly or indirectly ask users for personal information (like the above image) and how they can lead to security breaches.

All you need to take part is internet access. I don't need any personal details about you, other than your age bracket (e.g. 19-29).

It's easier than the last study, since the testing part isn't the sole focus this time. I'll be asking people to do two things -

1. Look at some images of social media posts that ask for users' personal data and rate them based on various criteria (e.g. visual appeal).
2. Say which types of personal data (e.g. favourite food or music) you'd hypothetically be more likely to use in certain account authorisation scenarios (e.g. when setting a security question).

I'll message more detailed instructions / questions to anyone who's chosen and you can do them in your own time. It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes.

Anyone who does the testing gets $50 worth of gaming stuff, of your choice. That includes Amazon vouchers, Steam Wallet codes, Google Play cards etc.

For any sceptics, read the old GAF thread and you should take away that this is legit. Can't link GAF threads here but if you look me up over there you'll find it. As before, I get no financial benefit from any of this research, other than not failing my degree.

If you're interested, kindly post here and fill out this anonymous survey:
It's a bit larger than the last one (around 20 questions depending on your answers) but a good chunk of it is yes/no questions so it shouldn't take long. It's completely anonymous, and at the end it tells you how you'll get picked for the testing. It'll largely be first come, first served again.

If you have any questions then don't blame me if I don't answer them for 8-9 hours since it's zzzz time now.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll do it, though I'm wondering where you're going to get the funds for everyone who's going to partake in it...

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Done 👍👍

*Edit

Wait, was I supposed to wait to be chosen for something? LOL I just answered all the questions there and submitted it.

Phone took me straight to a survey, didn't say anything about being selected at the end 🤔.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah I'll join in the fun too even though theres lots of wind out tonight and I might lose my internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.