• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, thread title right? lol

But seriously, it's become apparent that, either by active disdain for trans members on this forum or by sheer apathy for them, Era staff has been failing them. I wasn't going to make a big public stink about it, but when I saw this post from the user Sibylus?: https://www.resetera.com/threads/constructive-community-discussion.270630/post-53421562

It became entirely too apparent that trans people are being retaliated against on this forum. We already had one user who was able to turn Era mod staff against the trans community here, one Black Chamber, and now we are seeing a prominent user, a user who to my best knowledge has only gotten a three-day ban for drive by posting (which lol), being permanently banned for being angry in public at Era staff. But no, the ban wasn't even FOR being angry, not on the surface, anyway. No, the ban was because Sibylus "doesn't want to be here." That's some shit, right? And like, you, a reasonable person, would probably assume "Well maybe they DMed Era staff and requested a permaban?" Nah fam, Sibylus confirmed that no such thing happened, and she was just as confused as the rest of the people who are rightfully upset by this. Sibylus was retaliated against, and Era staff legit couldn't even help but lie to cover that up. A bad lie too, one easily disprovable.

So what now? Like, I'll probably have the thread closed, I might be banned, but I anticipated that, haha. I just don't want the discussion of Sibylus' ban to be kept to some semi-obscure thread (and also because I got permanently thread banned from that thread already for bringing up an example of a behavior that I observed with Era staff, haha). To me, each and every member of Era staff who read that post and decided that "Doesn't want to be here" was a valid reason for a permaban as a user's SECOND ban, when the first ban was incredibly minor, is clearly unfit for this line of work and needs to step down or be removed if they choose not to. I have 100 percent zero trust that either of these will happen, but hey, a woman can dream, ye?

Also I wonder how much faster mods close this thread than respond to the genuine hurt and anger in the Constructive feedback thread?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I DO want to be here, so please don't use that as a reason. c:

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ban needs to be reversed, the frustration and exasperation on display in that post was completely understandable given the circumstances, and at no point did it give the impression that she "did not want to be here."

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Era only wants Trans people who say pretty please and make noise through the "proper channels"

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty unconscionable. Like I don't know if that was supposed to be some kind of ironic jab or pithy clapback but that kind of ban message has no place being used against members expressing real frustrations about a serious topic, in the community feedback thread of all places.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bans are meant to be a collection action on the side of the mods so it seems crazy that everyone involved thought a petty ban message like that over an understandably frustrated post was okay.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's kinda mindblowing that staff keep fucking up on this scale.

Either take minority concerns seriously or stop pretending. You don't get to have your cake and eat it. Be honest.

Oct 28, 2017
Abhorrent that THAT post was treated as cause for a permanent ban. This forum is fucking vile. (In before I'm also banned for "not wanting to be here" for saying that simple truth.)

Hexe

Banned
Jul 1, 2020
A polite nazi was vouched for by staff TWICE while trans members pointing out the dogwhistles that asshole was using were punished

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's going on with the mod team anymore.

Mod team values a MAGA shithead's word over the entirety of TransERA, only acted correctly when the community pulled this dumbass' receipts, and when the users they hurt lash out they twist their words to justify erasing them from the site.

No decency, only civility.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Sybilus? Fuck if they're the person i think they are, this is one of the biggest losses of the community i've seen. Sad.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Pretty sure that this is going to get locked, and we'll get a tone-deaf response from the mods while they ignore our concerns again. What's the point of a constructive community discussion thread that no mods respond to?

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
I don't understand how you can not change anything with how you approach things after that approach led you down the road where you trusted a MAGA chud over trans people going "hey what the hell is up with this dog whistle?" and even after that, more vouching was done and scolding of the trans people who were "disappointing".

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
This place will eventually implode like the old site for the same reasons too. Moderation does what they please.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ban reason is shitty, but I don't blame moderators for taking action when criticism is phrased like that post.

When you spend enough years of your life volunteering on a site like this, you get tried of being treated like shit openly in that manner eventually. You can express extreme displeasure with the site in a better way than that post. It's easy to think otherwise until you've been in their shoes.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Ban reason is shitty, but I don't blame moderators for taking action when criticism is phrased like that post.

When you spend enough years of your live and spare time volunteering on a site like this, you get tried of being treated like shit openly in that manner eventually. You can express extreme displeasure with the site in a better way than that post. It's easy to think otherwise until you've been in their shoes.
The entire point of migrating here was to be better than that

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

When you spend enough years of your live and spare time volunteering on a site like this, you get tried of being treated like shit openly in that manner eventually. You can express extreme displeasure with the site in a better way than that post. It's easy to think otherwise until you've been in their shoes.

People have been expressing displeasure in a better way than that, and it didn't work. Should trans people continue to see one another abused and just be polite about it until Era staff deigns to do better?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When you spend enough years of your life volunteering on a site like this, you get tried of being treated like shit openly in that manner eventually. You can express extreme displeasure with the site in a better way than that post. It's easy to think otherwise until you've been in their shoes.

TransERA tried that and instead a single MAGA chud was valued over all of them.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

the point of being a mod is to be above that shit.

if they cant handle it, that's fine, they shouldn't be mods though.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Strange that in the community meeting threads the mod teams said they'd not punish angry tone from the effected group. Yet here we are with mods signing off on a petty nonsense ban against the trans community member.

Hexe

Banned
Jul 1, 2020

I think dismissing the content of a message because you don't like the tone of it is the definition of tone policing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps if you understood *why* that post was phrased in such a way, you'd understand which people have been getting shit on.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

You are looking at the situation in a vacuum when it should not be. The Trans community here was gaslight, and worse, by a person that was acting in bad faith towards them. When their concerns about that person were brought up, several users were warned or banned for "not being civil." It then came out that the user doing the gaslighting hada previous ban for homophobic content, and posted to heinous stuff on his social media that outed him as an alt-right chud.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Honestly, Internet communities have rules, either respect them and don't get banned or voice your disdain towards how a site operates and expect to get banned. Era is already open enough to criticism towards its staff members and the fact that posts are left there for everyone to see it's pretty unique to this site. They don't censor anyone's opinion.

The motivation to that ban is petty and unprofessional but I really cannot understand how you can post something along the lines of "hahaha fuck civility and fuck you mods" and expect not to get banned. Imagine that from someone not on your side and you'd be clamoring for a ban.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Uh....you do realize that this was posted in the context of staff letting a MAGA asshat run wild for years on the forum while shilling hard for one particular company and downplaying or undermining the concerns of trans users, so much so that they took the side of this MAGA asshole over and over again and banned multiple people for calling out their obvious trolling until it was revealed to them that said chud was, in fact, a chud.

Given that I think the hostility is appropriate. Trans users here have been treated like shit far more.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That post was made after mods stood up for a Trumper asshole against the trans community here multiple times, and that itself came after years of staff promising to do better but never actually changing. The tone in that post is what they deserved.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, nobody is forcing you to stay a mod if you hate it so much. It's not like they are getting paid for it.

Timeline

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Here is a quick and dirty rundown of what happened that led us here. This involved the user that was making the Cyberpunk OT, and why the current situation about topics about the games exists...

So to recap all the mess best I can understand, and I apologize in advance if I missed anything.

1. You, the staff, let two superfans of the game dictate the conversation around it and continually allow them to handwave concerns of a segment of the community that had the receipts that CDPR was being very transphobic in the marketing and style of the game.

2. Because of this several month long thing, numerous members and allies of the Trans community were given constant warnings and bans when their cries about these specific users and the game became "un-civil."

3. You then allow the superfans to dictate their own punishment when things came to a head, and would continue to reward them while letting them give the terms of their own self-imposed bans.

4. The posting history, which included a previous ban for making a thread with homophobic content, was made public, as well as posts made in the the recent past that shown that the one user would never act in good faith towards the concerns of the Trans community. It was then also dug up through his Twitter that he was just as bad as everyone was trying to say he was. In a scramble, he was permabanned.

5. Threads were locked, and the only official communication and apologies over all of this were contained in the CDPR Trans thread. A move that would mean that the majority of the folks that posts on this site would have no idea what the policy going forward would be in regards to Cyberpunk threads.

6. The review embargo is lifted and threads are created and bumped. There is mass confusion because they keep getting locked because the policy was never communicated to the general population of the site. One review thread was allowed that would highlight the concerns brought up by reviewers over the games trans and misogynist content. The thread gets brigaded and shut down, and you direct folks to the CDPR trans thread which also gets brigaded with a lot of heinous transphobic stuff.

7. Finally, the OT goes live, and the whole "text-only" promise was not kept with the second post being your usual OT hype-thread look to it.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
honestly my whole impression of this whole thing is the mod team made a massive screw up and is trying to just pretend like they didn't instead of doing anything about it

Status
Not open for further replies.