• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2018
Hype is building for the next gen and Era's on thread on the topic is seeing a flurry of posts regarding what may or may not be in Sony and Microsoft's new boxes.

But one thing stands out for me, no one has talked about the act of leaking itself. I was prompted to start this thread when Leocarian posted the following, in relation to a list of potential E3 offerings:

Reason for vagueness is because I have to make sure I protect the people I talk to and vice versa. Otherwise we would lose access to some information and so on, this is a no brainer.

What worries me here is that I have seen how leaking can derail careers, and it's not clear if the information was passed on with the blessing of those that entrusted it to Leocarian in the first place. This isn't about character assassination, but I think that poses some larger questions that's worth pondering as a community.

So, how do you view leakers and what do they tell us about the industry as a whole?
Do you care if the leaker has broken the terms of a signed NDA or betrayed trust in order to bring this information to you? & What if they were caught in the aftermath and lost their job?
Does the nature of digital communication mean that it's impossible for anything to truly remain a secret in games and it's time for devs, publishers and hardware manufacturers to change their approach in shielding and revealing information?

I'm going to take some time to mull on this as well before I dive in, as I think it touches on quite a few areas of this industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do anything illegal, apply common sense and don't ruin your career for a little bit of Internet fame.

Other than that, once the information's out, it's out and reporting on it is fair game

Status
Not open for further replies.