• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time Nintendo has not extended ownership of the trademark. No renewal. No relicensing. No extension. Gone, like tears in rain.

As of today, June 15, 2020, Nintendo of America's trademark application, US Serial Number 87274495, for "Eternal Darkness" has been abandoned, This was originally filed on December 20, 2016, and the status of the filing currently states:

"Abandoned because no Statement of Use or Extension Request timely filed after Notice of Allowance was issued. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page."

Is this the end of the road for the IP at Nintendo?

realotakugamer.com

Nintendo Abandons Eternal Darkness Trademark

The end of the road?

EDIT: Nevermind, old. Close the thread. Nuke it from orbit.

Oct 26, 2017
Trademark abandonment doesn't equal total forfeit, as MS also abondoned the trademark for Blinx, yet still made it BC on XBO, which I'm assuming they did as they still own it.

Meaning, they own the IP, this is just means they're not as caring of it I guess. The Wonderful 101 is probably the only time in the last near 20 years Nintendo ever surrendered an IP, with Rare's catalogue being the only ones prior to my knowledge, and there was a rumor that Iwata tried to retain ownership but the board of directors overruled him apparently. Don't remember where this was said but it's all I remember of the story.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Trademark abandonment doesn't equal total forfeit, as MS also abondoned the trademark for Blinx, yet still made it BC on XBO, which I'm assuming they did as they still own it.

Meaning, they own the IP, this is just means they're not as caring of it I guess. The Wonderful 101 is probably the only time in the last near 20 years Nintendo ever surrendered an IP, with Rare's catalogue being the only ones prior to my knowledge, and there was a rumor that Iwata tried to retain ownership but the board of directors overruled him apparently. Don't remember where this was said but it's all I remember of the story.

Yes, they still own Eternal Darkness itself.

This is a sign that they have absolutely no plans to do anything with it, as if that wasn't obvious already.

Status
Not open for further replies.