• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Migrants to Europe must learn the language of their new home countries and encourage their children to integrate in the light of the recent Islamist terror attacks, EU governments plan to say in a declaration drafted by France, Austria and Germany.

The contentious draft statement, due to be made by EU home affairs ministers on Friday, is being championed by the French president, Emmanuel Macron, who was accused by Turkey's president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, of religious persecution after his recent warning of the dangers of Islamist separatism.

It will also say Brussels should fund religious education within Muslim communities, and NGOs publishing "content hostile to integration will be excluded from receiving" state support under the terms of the resolution.

The declaration further suggests that the European commission should fund religious education and training among imams.

There is some unease among fellow EU governments about the framing of the current draft, however. Sweden, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, among others, have traditionally pushed back against those who have viewed migration and religion through the prism of security.

Alongside a series of technical counter-terrorism proposals, including the creation of backdoor access to encrypted communications used in chat apps, the statement proposes a tougher line on the need for migrants to integrate.

www.theguardian.com

EU draft declaration sets out stricter rules on migrant integration

Contentious statement includes edict on learning language of new home country

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is ridiculous. I do not like countries forcing assimilation on any group of people.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is ridiculous. I do not like countries forcing assimilation on any group of people.

Having to learn the local language is not bad. Children of migrants should have equal access to education as others without their parents' refusal to have them learn the language impairing their future, same reason that parents shouldn't be able to send their kids to religious schools that don't teach a standard curriculum, ruining their future. Here two persons from Hassidic families sued the government once they reached adulthood for failing to make sure they had a proper education due to their parents preventing them from getting one.

It does not need to be a requirement for anyone. Especially when many countries do not have a national language.

It should not be a requirement.

Yeah it should be, it's not a problem, no one regrets learning a language, and it only helps. What if the parents come from a country with an uncommon language? Always need an interpreter for life? What about their children?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If you're referring to the language bit, knowing the language of the country you move to seems like an elementary necessity for getting by in daily life.
It does not need to be a requirement for anyone. Especially when many countries do not have a national language.
Having to learn the local language is not bad. Children of migrants should have equal access to education as others without their parents' refusal to have them learn the language impairing their future, same reason that parents shouldn't be able to send their kids to religious schools that don't teach a standard curriculum, ruining their future.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of get wanting people to learn languages before migrating, but having the EU trying to filter religion comes across as creepy and authoritarian.

Also a secular institution like the EU should probably not be funding or meddling with peoples religious beliefs.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
If you're referring to the language bit, knowing the language of the country you move to seems like an elementary necessity for getting by in daily life.

Yeah, I get why people would be against it, but too many people I know have to rely on their children or often get taken advantage of because they don't know the language. It's a tricky situation.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't agree with other things, knowing the language is absolutely the least anyone migrating to a new country has to do.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Having to learn the local language is not bad. Children of migrants should have equal access to education as others without their parents' refusal to have them learn the language impairing their future, same reason that parents shouldn't be able to send their kids to religious schools that don't teach a standard curriculum, ruining their future. Here two persons from Hassidic families sued the government once they reached adulthood for failing to make sure they had a proper education due to their parents preventing them from getting one.

Yeah it should be, it's not a problem, no one regrets learning a language, and it only helps.
force assimilation is not good for anyone. There is TONS of history of this kind of practice its not good for anyone and leads to many issues to minority groups. These things SHOULD NOT be a requirement.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Many European countries have a national language, even multiple of them, and knowing it is absolutely a requirement to partecipate in public life. It's not really an hot take. You need to be able to comunicate with others and understand laws to take part in a society.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Many European countries have a national language, even multiple of them, and knowing it is absolutely a requirement to partecipate in public life. It's not really an hot take. You need to be able to comunicate with others and understand laws to take part in a society.
Following the law Is different from forced assimilation.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Tricky. I think immigrants in general should be incentivized to learn the language of the country. But migrants in particular had no choice.

edit: nvm, idk why I equated migrants with refugees.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
User threadbanned (1 week): driving thread derail, inflammatory comparison
I sort of get wanting people to learn languages before migrating, but having the EU trying to filter religion comes across as creepy and authoritarian.

Also a secular institution like the EU should probably not be funding or meddling with peoples religious beliefs.
It's literally forced assimilation, This is literally shit they are did to native americans, and other ethnic groups HELL its happening in china right now to uyghurs

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah laws on what languages you have to learn to speak are bullshit laws, and religious education? What the fuck kind of crap is that? I don't like that path EU is going down.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's not assimilation to have people living in your country to go to the same schools and have the same education standard, a basic knowledge of language and civic duties. They can get their religious crap like the catholic kids on the day their god rested or something.

It's literally forced assimilation, This is literally shit they are did to native americans, and other ethnic groups HELL its happening in china right now to uyghurs

How is it forced assimilation when people come from other countries into another country. No one is asking to stop talking their language or stop praying their gods.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017

I think this is part of a bigger problem. There probably shouldn't be private schools in this day and age.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's not assimilation to have people living in your country to go to the same schools and have the same education standard, a basic knowledge of language and civic duties. They can get their religious crap like the catholic kids on the day their god rested or something.
It is literally the definition of forced assimilation.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Learning the language of the region/country you migrate to shouldn't be something that you have to be forced or told to do.

Dec 31, 2017
I think language integration is smart and should be promoted.

I don't know how they plan on going about religious education - gonna be tough.

Oct 30, 2017
I tell every migrant from my home country that comes to Germany to learn the language first, it's like one of the most important things to get around.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Learning the language of the region/country you migrate to shouldn't be something that you have to be forced or told to do.
Exactly like what the fuck are people thinking that this is ok. can you incentivize people Absolutely but there is no way in hell any country should be trying to erase peoples cultures, they can be held to follow typical laws etc in the country but totally forcing education and crap like that is no different that the shit China is doing right now

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Are they forced to migrate into Europe then?

Mind you: I have zero issues with people coming into my country and I believe it should be easy and legal to do so. I have issues when people come into my country and try to act like the laws don't apply to them, just like I hate fake catholics with a passion, especially those who try to meddle with civil rights.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Learning the local language is not forced assimilation. It's the bare minimum requirement for a somewhat successful life in the new country.
Forced assimilation is an involuntary process of cultural assimilation of religious or ethnic minority groups during which they are forced to adopt language, identity, norms, mores, customs, traditions, values, mentality, perceptions, way of life, and often religion and ideology of established and generally larger community belonging to dominant culture by government.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I would encourage it, but not mandate it. It's a real kick in the face to have fled for your life and then be treated like the very extremists you were fleeing from.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I know Puerto Ricans hate it when Americans come to settle down on the island without ever bothering to learn the language, so the language requirement makes sense to me.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Will the rules apply equally to migrants from a different country within the EU? Or is it just the ones that originate from beyond the EU? Because realistically if it's just from beyond the EU,, we know which groups it will target and it won't be the Canadians or Australians who only speak English.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018

Forced assimilation would be banishing their own language. These are measures to get by in daily life. Many jobs require some understanding and communication with other people. Going shopping requires communication. Taking a taxi requires communication. Socializing with others requires a form on communication. Kids going to school require communication.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically in favour of open-door immigration but don't have a problem with getting people to learn the local language. I think it's rude not to, frankly. I wouldn't dream of moving to a non-anglophone country and not learning the language. Hell, I feel bad if I visit another country for a week and don't make the effort to learn the basics.

This goes for people from my country abroad too. Can't stand the Brits who move to Spain and live in little English communities, etc.

Nah on the religious stuff, though.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018

Say a woman in, idk, France, is in an abusive relationship and her family doesn't care, and doesn't know a word of french, how is she going to ask for help?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Are they forced to migrate into Europe then?

Mind you: I have zero issues with people coming into my country and I believe it should be easy and legal to do so. I have issues when people come into my country and try to act like the laws don't apply to them, just like I hate fake catholics with a passion, especially those who try to meddle with civil rights.
Seriously this is bullshit and you know it. People come to countries on their own the Govt should not be the one telling them how to be. People will naturally want to learn the language etc, they should not be forced to do so.
Forced assimilation would be banishing their own language. These are measures to get by in daily life. Many jobs require some understanding and communication with other people. Going shopping requires communication. Taking a taxi requires communication. Socializing with others requires a form on communication. Kids going to school require communication.
That's is NOT forced assimilation. Forced assimilation by definition is LITERALLY forcing people to adopt a language.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Alongside a series of technical counter-terrorism proposals, including the creation of backdoor access to encrypted communications used in chat apps, the statement proposes a tougher line on the need for migrants to integrate.

Which apps are they referring to here? WhatsApp?

As in, they can pull chat logs whenever they want?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's acceptable to have limited language requirements if and only if the government invests in providing free education options to everyone, which I assume won't happen because it never, ever does

Oct 27, 2017
"Immigrants should speak our language!"
"No one forces them to come to this country!"

Resetera sound more and more right wing every day.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
A backdoor to encrypted chat programs? Fucking yikes.

I really dont think migrants, especially asylum seekers, should be forced to learn the language. They should be assisted in doing so if they want to, but if you're requesting asylum trying to learn a new language is the last thing on your mind.

More importantly, lmao@all of you saying you need to know the native language of a country to survive there. Ignoring how people have been doing just fine without this, tons of people get around in Europe with just English.

But Europe gonna Europe.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Which apps are they referring to here? WhatsApp?

As in, they can pull chat logs whenever they want?
This is like such bullshit. Govts Should be welcoming and offer ways to allow for people to be integrated but if they are forcing People to do so that crosses the line.
"Immigrants should speak our language!"
"No one forces them to come to this country!"

Resetera sound more and more right wing every day.
Seriously what kind of nationalistic bullshit is this.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yup.

On a related note: a very interesting Swedish study among immigrants showed that those that answered the questions in Swedish had much more liberal views on things like homosexual rights, women's rights etc.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I work in education and we were not able to have an minute of silence for the french guy that got beheaded because our students thought this would be an act against their religion. I live and teach in a migration heavy area so I may be biased, but please give me everything from this draft. I can't even talk to the parents about it because there are no translators available to us.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Thank you for the definition. It proves my point. No one is forcing them to give up their culture. But learning the language is an absolute necessity to lead an independent life. That is indisputable. I am a migrant myself and know how my parents struggled because no one taught them the language. Today you have so many opportunities you would be a fool not to learn the local language.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
They are not natives, to compare that with native indians or chinese uyghurs is moronic. like for real. tweettakesobad.gif
Having to learn a language does not mean your culture has to be erased or replaced, it comes on top of it. it's an invaluable tool.
Migrants not knowing the local language is bad for everyone, for the country they come in, for their children, for themselves..

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for the definition. It proves my point. No one is forcing them to give up their culture. But learning the language is an absolute necessity to lead an independent life. That is indisputable. I am a migrant myself and know how my parents struggled because no one taught them the language. Today you have so many opportunities you would be a fool not to learn the local language.
Its Still forced assimilation if you are forcing people to adopt a langugage and religious education .
They are not natives, to compare that with native indians or chinese uyghurs is moronic. like for real. tweettakesobad.gif
Having to learn a language does not mean your culture has to be erased or replaced, it comes on top of it.
Migrants not knowing the local language is bad for everyone, for the country they come in, for their children, for themselves..
ITS NOT HAVING To learn a language they are forcing people to adopt it. This is like telling an American they much speak Chinese if they want to live here. Like what the hell is wrong with y'all.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Seriously this is bullshit and you know it. People come to countries on their own the Govt should not be the one telling them how to be. People will naturally want to learn the language etc, they should not be forced to do so.

That's is NOT forced assimilation. Forced assimilation by definition is LITERALLY forcing people to adopt a language.

So like 90-97 percent of the kids raised in the EU require learning english, even though we don't have a native English speaking country within the EU anymore?

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm with platocpix on this.

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

It's the same shit you run into all the time in the south as an hispanic. "We speak American here."

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Do you guys really think this law is going to apply equally to say Americans or Canadians or Australians who migrate to Europe and only speak English as it is to a Syrian refugee who doesn't speak the local language? This law will not be equally applied and will discrimintate against poc.

Are we really going to pretend we don't know why France wanted this law and who they want it to apply against???

Status
Not open for further replies.