• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has hinted that the hard- and software developer may move away from home console design in the future to ensure the developer remains flexible to the changing demands of the entertainment business.

"We aren't really fixated on our consoles," Furukawa told Nikkei (via, and translated by, Nintendo Everything). "At the moment we're offering the uniquely developed Nintendo Switch and its software - and that's what we're basing how we deliver the 'Nintendo experience' on. That being said, technology changes. We'll continue to think flexibly about how to deliver that experience as time goes on.

Asked about how Nintendo intends to adapt to "fluctuations" in the industry, Furukawa added he was "thinking about little ways we can reduce that kind of instability" and said he'd "like to increase" Nintendo's smartphone game development to secure "a continuous stream of revenue"

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-...me-console-development-says-company-president

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Well that's upsetting. Really hope Nintendo doesn't leave the hardware business to chase smartphone money, but I can't really blame them if they do

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I always expected this. I don't think they will leave anytime soon but their IP goes past games. They can easily leave the console business and still roll in dough.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is not the end of the Nintendo world, but you can see it from here :(

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll be able to stay the current course for a long time yet. A change in business this dramatic is surely not imminent.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's only a matter of time, unfortunately. That mobile revenue is going to increase significantly in the coming years.

I imagine they'll eventually reach a point where mobile revenue is in the billions.

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about massively reaching. He said the equivalent of "We'll assess new technology and adapt to it as the time comes", but I guess reading comprehension be damned when it comes to clickbait

It's only a matter of time, unfortunately. That mobile revenue is going to increase significantly in the coming years.

I imagine they'll eventually reach a point where mobile revenue is in the billions.
I doubt mobile revenue will change anything other than Nintendo making more mobile games. That's about it

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
someone will always be there in the console market, and i'll be buying whoever's console that happens to be

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why are there no quotes in the OP that state what the thread title suggests?

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
For anyone who didn't know, he was asked how Nintendo would react to a market crash and gave this response.

He didn't randomly come out with it as something they were thinking of doing.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Any successful company is flexible. This is much to do about nothing. Also this was in response to a possible home console crash.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they are just saying that they will move away if the market moves away. As in, if people stop buying home consoles. No shit they move away if that happens.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how Nintendo went from not being all that interested in mobile gaming to seeing dollar signs in such a relatively short span of time.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Just a tad, but that's literally what he's saying. This is not a Sega situation. This is him explaining the nature of where he belives the business is going, and that they have to be flexible. Still doesn't change the fact that if/when Nintendo is no longer developing consoles it will be a sad day, particularly for someone like myself who grew up with them.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about a terrible title Fromm eurogamer.

LordKano made a thread about this interview and they didn't say their leaving the console market outright. Just talking about how Nintendo has adapted over its long history.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iwata also used the same rhetoric during his tenure - Nintendo always uses they same phrases no matter who is the head of the company - and are always on the lookout different sources of revenue. Iwata actually executed on it more - Wii Fit, and all the Brain Games stuff. It does not mean they are going to instantly jump ship from another project they are working on.

And this is more a baity headline than it should be, and makes me wish Eurogamer would be more selective in the contributors it gives a voice too.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ugh... that's what you get for putting a marketing guy in charge of your games company.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
With streaming on the horizon I'd expect the same answer from any exec. Home consoles in 10 years aren't a foregone conclusion.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
If you read what he says he's saying that there may be a time in the future where consoles won't exist and they'll be ready for that. That's all.

They're expanding into theme parks, movies and mobile gaming lately. It makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.