• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Before/after pictures are in the original article

Cameron Underwood says he doesn't get as many "stares or questions from strangers" since his face transplant. "I have a nose, and a mouth so I'm able to smile, to speak and eat solid foods again," he says.

Cameron was speaking two years after shooting himself in a suicide attempt in 2016. He lost his nose, most of his lower jaw and all but one of his teeth in the incident. "I am so grateful to have a face transplant because it gives me a second chance at life," the 26-year-old said at a press conference in New York on Thursday. "I have been able to get back to many of the activities I love, like being outdoors, playing sports and spending time with my friends and family. "I hope to get back to work soon and someday to start a family."

In January this year, more than 100 medical staff performed a 25-hour surgery on Cameron at the NYU Langone Health centre in Manhattan, New York, and his recovery was revealed this week. The operation took place just 18 months after Cameron's suicide attempt - which the centre says is the shortest period of time between injury and surgery in US history.

The surgery was led by Dr Eduardo D. Rodriguez who says, along with medical advances, it was Cameron's determination to survive that helped make the surgery a success. "In the end, it's all about the patient. Cameron has put in the work and has made the necessary commitments," he says.

The centre says the operation was the most technologically advanced face transplant and was the first use of a 3D-printed donor facial mask in the US.

The donor was 23-year-old Will Fisher, a chess champion, aspiring writer and filmmaker. "My son's death was a tragedy," says Will's mum Sally. "I am thankful that, in honouring his decision, we were able to give life to others, and especially that Will and Dr Rodriguez have given Cameron and his family a chance to recapture their dreams. "Being a part of this experience has been a source of strength for me during a very difficult time. "I don't think I would have survived Will's death if not for Cameron. Cameron has his whole life ahead of him - and I love the idea that Willie is helping him have a better life."

Cameron paid tribute to Will and the support of the Fisher family during his speech at the hospital's press conference. "I want Sally and her family to know how much my family and I appreciate their gift and I'll always honour Will's legacy," he says.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46397317

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Dang, that's a huge improvement.

Like, wouldn't really notice if you just passed them in public improvement.

**Edit: "3D Printed donor Face" is so cool.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truly incredible transformation. The doctors and everyone involved deserves some serious kudos.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that before and after is fucking wild. I wonder how long it's gonna take to not have to use donors anymore for this type of surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.