• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Mental health continues to be the least important topic to the world at large when it should be the most.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof that spray.

Might as well just have one with "DAMAGED" tattooed on his face.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that a part of his back story? He was doing experiments, shit goes wrong and he gets sent to the mental asylum.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about the Starry Night spray. With everything else it feels a little too on the nose

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Background for folks not fluent in the Overwatch like me:

Brilliant astrophysicist Dr. Siebren de Kuiper's life changed forever when an experiment gone wrong gave him the ability to control gravity; now, Talon manipulates him to their own ends.

Dr. Kuiper was considered a pioneer in his field. His life's work involved devising a way to harness the power of gravity. Equally known for his groundbreaking research and eccentric personality, he conducted most of his studies from his lab in The Hague. Believing that he was close to achieving his goal, he performed his most important experiment on an international space station.

But something went wrong, triggering the brief formation of a black hole. De Kuiper was only exposed to its power for a moment, but he suffered serious psychological damage. The area around him began to experience strange fluctuations in gravity, peaking and dropping in time with his reactions. He had to be evacuated immediately.

Upon returning to Earth, De Kuiper was quarantined in a secret government facility. Between his ravings about the patterns of the universe, the psychic damage he sustained, and the gravitic anomalies happening around him, he was deemed unsafe and detained for years under the name "Subject Sigma." Isolated and unable to control his powers, De Kuiper retreated into his own mind. He thought he would never see the outside world again.

When Talon discovered De Kuiper's existence, they infiltrated the facility and broke him out, planning to use his brilliance and research to further their plans. In their custody, De Kuiper slowly gained control of his powers. Now, gravity moved according to his will, and he was closer than ever to achieving his life's goal. But the same experiment that had opened his mind had also fractured it, and he struggled to keep the pieces together.

De Kuiper continues to develop his powers in hopes of unlocking the secrets of the universe, unaware that Talon is using both him and his research

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO literally yesterday there was an article where Michael Chu was saying that they weren't trying to evoke a mental health or asylum thing at all

Edit:

When I had the chance to sit down with three Overwatch developers, including lead writer Michael Chu, I asked about the animation and whether it was an intentional depiction of mental illness.

"It's interesting, because I can see how people in the community have identified with Sigma as someone who is struggling or dealing with mental health issues," Chu said. "But with the idea of the character, we never intended him to be an example of someone who's going through mental health issues. He's really supposed to be more focused on this very specific thing that happened to him, which is that his body and his mind were literally ripped apart by the momentary exposure to a black hole.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Also going hard on the barefoot loon trope by shoving them at the centre of his win poses, disgusting lack of awareness from Blizzard.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see the responses to the early defenders of Blizzard. Your Overwatch farted out an argument that Blizzard embracing a character who has mental health was a bold move that should essentially be applauded.

You can explore sensitive topics and backgrounds, but if you step your entire foot in the shits then you will get critiqued accordingly. It's simple.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Those sprays and that skin suck. Though I can't say that I'm surprised given that this is very in line with how mental illness is usually depicted.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
You can write a character with mental struggles without that being his whole thing. Both personality, character and skin, so yeah

big fat no for you
Why not? A character tackling their mental problems and figuring how to to come to terms with it seems pretty compelling.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So? Some people with mental health problems are treated in an asylum. What's the problem here? Is this something that should never be depicted or is Overwatch taking place in a world where these people don't exist?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So? Some people with mental health problems are treated in an asylum. What's the problem here? Is this something that should never be depicted or is Overwatch taking place in a world where these people don't exist?

Often against their will, causing a lot of suffering for them and their family.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? A character tackling their mental problems and figuring how to to come to terms with it seems pretty compelling.
So for you man a person with mental issues has to be called Crazy Crazy Joe, being in an asylum all his life, all his attire reminds you about the fact he is crazy

theres nothing else about crazy crazy joe but the fact he is indeed crazy.

sounds like garbage, hope you enjoy it

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the Skin and yeah that dude would probably need one in real life with all those abilities lol.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is unfortunately not surprising because when it comes to mental illness people tend to forget the lessons learnt with other minority groups. It's how you can get folks calling others "crazy" in a derogatory way as if it was normal or how you can get people dismissing very obvious signs of mental health deterioration because of the inconvenient side effects of it. This is just another example of that :(

Some people in a minority group actually doing the things that negative stereotypes say they do doesn't make it OK to portray those negative stereotypes in a non-ironic fashion. That's especially true when those negative stereotypes are pretty real symbols of suffering for a lot of people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You haven't a metal issue or anyone like that in your whole life and it shows, stay quiet.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I mean his backstory sounds pretty interesting to me and makes me a lot less weary. I don't think anyones gonna look at him as the bastion of mental health representation, doesn't even seem like the goal of the character.

Oct 25, 2017
They could have just given him the orange jumper he had in his reveal trailer. That looked to be his 'research subject' uniform, and doesn't evoke the ham fisted, draconian example of mental patients that this does.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch: "Our story is that this character underwent this horrible trauma and is now being used by the bad guys. He's a victim."

Also Overwatch: "Make sure he has a Hannibal Lecter costume. We gotta make sure he looks like a scary psychopath."

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never played Overwatch so can someone catch me up on how this character is a poor depiction of mental health, please?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they just make make the foot fetish Lex Luthor they wanted to make without all of this bullshit?

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has been in a mental institution multiple times, I don't really see anything wrong with this. Hell, I even kinda like it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone asking what the big deal is this is the only character with noted mental health issues and there running with the "crazy bad guy in a straightjacket" look.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations you found the issue.
If they based his condition on an actual mental illness and gave him this skin, yeah, that would be super fucked up.

This is a fictional (at least for now, I don't know anyone who was exposed to a black hole) illness and has no bearings on reality.

So, why is it insensitive? Legitimately curious.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days) and thread making privileges suspended: Creating a thread without being interested in discussion, dismissive of members with mental health issues, hostility over a series of posts

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
So for you man a person with mental issues has to be called Crazy Crazy Joe, being in an asylum all his life, all his attire reminds you about the fact he is crazy

theres nothing else about crazy crazy joe but the fact he is indeed crazy.

sounds like garbage, hope you enjoy it
I didn't say any of that. I was thinking more "a beautiful mind" or "one flew over the cuckcoo's nest". Stories about people dealing with mental disorders, how society treats them and their journey towards improvement. Stories like that focus entirely on fact that the characters have some mental problems but they can teach us so much about mental health and those who are affected by it.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
The outfit is so cartoony and goofy and the illness, as said, is sci-fi made up shit that happened to fracture his psyche. Shrug.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Congratulations you found the issue.

I didn't mean what you think I meant.

The potential issue here is that people with mental illness are being portrayed as crazy people in asylums. But that doesn't really seem to be what's happening

But something went wrong, triggering the brief formation of a black hole. De Kuiper was only exposed to its power for a moment, but he suffered serious psychological damage. The area around him began to experience strange fluctuations in gravity, peaking and dropping in time with his reactions. He had to be evacuated immediately.

He isn't a guy suffering from a some real world mental illness. He was physically damaged and fundamentally altered as a human being..... by a black hole. It's so far out that I don't think you can draw parallels between this and real mental illness.

If it matters, I've spent time in places for mental illness, so I'm not speaking out of lack of empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.