• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, did a quick search and didn't see a thread. Seeing that we are now in year of the future (2019 - the same year that the original Bladerunner was set in) - what was your favorite movie of the past year - 2018?

Just list one please and give a short summary why you liked it.

My Favourite (See what I did there) Film of 2018:

Favourite_poster_jan19_788_292.jpg

This isn't your typical period piece for sure, giving a darkly humorous and irreverent twist on the typical prestige historical films, I really enjoyed this film. A well rounded cast, full of stellar performances from the three leads (especially Olivia Colman) provide an stable anchoring to an otherwise over the top story. The set design, costumes and atmosphere are richly detailed and lend themselves well to fully immersing you in the world of these characters. Dialogue is clever and it doesn't beat you over the head with its subtlety and had me admiring one sentence after the next. And while the film takes place in the past, it feels wholly contemporary... I won't really go into the specifics of the story-line since I think that is better experienced for yourself (I went into it without even seeing as much as one trailer!)

While there was other movies I definitely enjoyed throughout 2018 (Paddington 2, Infinity War) none have lingered in my mind as much as this one since seeing it a few weeks ago.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I presume there will be a voting thread but I don't know who's leading that.

Mines a toss up between Annihilation and The Favourite right now but there's a few more I need to see like Vice and A Star is Born

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I saw so many movies I enjoyed but one that lingered with me was Burning.

Just the perfect level of ambiguity. Great cinematography. Just a great character study.

captaincunk

Dec 29, 2018
I didn't see much last year, but Spiderverse definitely stood out to me. Could potentially IMO remain the best of that particular year once I catch up on all the other releases.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Annihilation isn't quite simply my favorite film of 2018, it is in my opinion easily in the running for my favorite film of all time and is the one I've come back to time and again since its release, always thinking about it. Nothing I could say could do justice to the visual impact it leaves, or the physical and emotional impact it made on me at the time/s of my watching it. If you have the time and don't mind the in-depth talk getting into spoiler territory, I recommend the reviews from Walter Chaw and FilmCritHulk

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I can´t decide between Into the Spider-verse and Sorry to Bother You.
Spider-verse is pure cinematic energy, is a non-stop breathtaking masterpiece that I put on the same level as Fury Road, with the special extra of being the greatest movie of my favorite character in fiction.
Sorry to Bother you is a weird little movie that speaks about the reality of my generation workspace and how capitalism fucked us over. With the weirdest and wildest twist I´ve seen in a movie. I still can´t believe the places this movies goes

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see much last year, but Spiderverse definitely stood out to me. Could potentially IMO remain the best of that particular year once I catch up on all the other releases.
Spiderverse was really spectacular from an art and animation perspective, but the story left me rather ambivalent. I didn't dislike it, but after reading nonstop praise on my Twitter for three weeks, I was expecting more from an emotional perspective.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So far it's Paddington 2 but I have so many movies left to watch from 2018 that I can't even really decide on one.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw too few movies this year compared to other years, due to life getting in the way. Having said that, I think my top for this year would be MI:Fallout or BlacKkKlansman. I haven't seen any of the other "awards" type movies this year, but I'll get to them eventually.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I've got my top 10 pretty much finalized outside of If Beale Street Could Talk, which isn't playing around me yet.

1. Hereditary
2. The Favourite
3. Leave No Trace
4. BlacKkKlansman
5. Roma
6. Annihilation
7. Mandy
8. MI Fallout
9. Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
10. Widows

Honorable Mentions:
Tully
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
First Reformed
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Worst of 2018:
Cloverfield Paradox
American Animals
Ready Player One
Sicario Day of the Soldado
Red Sparrow
Aquaman

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't see many films this year. But MI: Fallout is my pick. The only movie i ever went to see twice in the movie theater.

second favorite is Halloween

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's a toss up between Spiderverse and MI: Fallout. Both were excellent at what they were doing.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ranking of all the movies I saw this year:

1. The Night Comes For Us
2. Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
3. Searching
4. A quiet place
5. Mission Impossible: Fallout
6. Annihilation
7. Bird Box
8. Black panther
9. Avengers Infinity War
10. Antman and the Wasp
11. Cloverfield Paradox
12. Sorry to Bother You
13. Hotel Artemis
14. Sicario Day of the Soldado
15. Deadpool 2
16. Ready Player One
17. Venom

I still want to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, BlackKklansman, Fantastic Beasts 2, and Mortal Engines.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Burning. It's the first Murakami adaptation that captures the spirit of his novels. It's a beautiful, slow trip that with every passing minute seems to become a little more surreal.

I saw 72 movies in the cinema this year, so I saw many good ones. I also (among others) loved The Florida Project (which as a 2018 release in my country), Shoplifters, Cold War, Wildlife, M:I Fallout, Into The Spider-verse, Isle of Dogs, Phantom Thread, The Rider, A Quiet Place, First Man, ...

Most disapointing movie was Widows. It's not the first dud of Steve McQueen, who is one of my favourite contemporary directo's, and an overall mess of a movie, with a terrible script that tries to force in as many 'big theme's' as possible, but loses itself in cartoon villains and silly twists. I was also disapointed by Infinity War, Early Man, Mary Poppins Returns and Ready Player One

Oh, and Paddington came out in 2017 for me, and was in the top 3 then..

Status
Not open for further replies.