• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It goes without saying that Sony is in a strong position heading into this next console generation. They outsold the Xbox 2:1 last generation and some analysts predict they'll do the same this time around with the PS5 versus the various Xbox Series models. Everyone expects Sony will continue to have rock solid first party releases this coming generation and yet…something seems to have shifted the past few weeks.

All Microsoft's efforts to paint themselves as "pro-consumer" are starting to bear fruit, while Sony, staying with the industry standards or even moving in the opposite direction, is starting to feel a little "anti-consumer" to some potential players in contrast.
This is Sony's current problem. It's not that the PS5 isn't attractive in terms of features and price, or that Sony's games aren't going to continue to be good. But at a certain point, all of Microsoft's programs and features and subscriptions full of brand new games are going to add up and equal an overall "next gen experience" that Sony is currently not building, and seems to have no interest in building. Xbox is providing tremendous value for players to stay in its ecosystem, while it's starting to feel like Sony is banking on the loyalty of its fans to put up with things like paying twice for remasters or $70 for brand new games. Maybe that gamble will work, but I can feel many players starting to get frustrated, given the clear alternatives Xbox is offering which Sony is not even attempting to match.
Link

Article goes in details about the the recent price hikes to $70, no clear upgrade path for recent games like TLoU II and GoT, Xbox PR dunking on PS5s fuck-ups, and etc.

The recent Spiderman news in particular seems to have been a step too far, even for Sony, according to the author~

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony thinks I'm paying for a PS5 upgrade of TLOU2/Ghost of Tsushima then they're in for a shock.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Era:
29367e67ece3535345334e50faa437fa7aacd1fb.jpg

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
Makes sense that this is an opinion piece. I believe two things simultaneously:

1. Sony could be doing a much better job keeping up with MS on backwards compatibility, buy once play anywhere, etc.

2. People are blowing this out of proportion and will have less of an effect on the market than what the last week or so suggests. Enthusiasts and "journalists" live in their own bubble.

Cmc

Nov 1, 2017
Praying for the day this pro/anti-consumer meme dies. They are all in it to make money

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
MS is in a great opinion position, anytime sony tries to do a aquisition they will be seen as the villain, its pretty genius.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

1. Sony could be doing a much better job keeping up with MS on backwards compatibility, buy once play anywhere, etc.

2. People are blowing this out of proportion and will have less of an effect on the market than what the last week or so suggests. Enthusiasts and "journalists" live in their own bubble.

This is where I land. Sony's communication has been piss poor on this subject, and in general recently, but for most people a lot of this is inconsequential. The 'narrative' is only really forming in enthusiast circles, really.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, does this really have any substantial impact outside of forums?

The first party titles are too strong to ignore and from what I've seen on social media from more casual gamers who don't browse Era. A lot of them don't seem to be bothered or even know about this at all.

I think the average consumer doesn't care if they have to pay for a "next gen" version of a game even if the improvements are minimal.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You will pay for remasters. That seems to be the strategy for Sony 1st party. Been that way since PS3. It's why I skipped Ghosts.

The real criticism is lack of innovation here. Not being anti consumer.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Agreed on both points.

I'll also add: Sony's main issue at this point is messaging. If they just outline their plans on Twitter, the PS Blog, Youtube, whatever, it would be a lot better. Just get everything on the table.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
hehe. sony needs to understand being market leader should not mean you should take advantage of your customers...

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I sorta agree... Kinda.

The point about Sony effectively maintaining the status quo but with more expensive games seems to be true. For Playstation, games are games and you aren't getting a different purchasing ecosystem. Microsoft is trying to change how you play and purchase your games. It's a new way to get involved with gaming and that does feel like a "next gen experience" moreso than games that look better.

Whether or not that actually pans out in Microsoft's favor is tbd.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is Kenichiro Yoshida's and Jim Ryan's Sony these days.

I miss the old crew around Kazuo Hirai and Andrew House.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Mainly as a Playstation player these past two generations I have to agree with most points in the article. Sony is slacking in so many areas in regards to PS5 is baffling. I feel really disappointed with their whole messaging, or lack of it for that matter, that is why I'm currently sitting out and decided to give my secured launch PS5 preorder to my friend.

They need to get their shit together as couple of really great exclusive games are not gonna cut it this upcoming generation.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Sony thinks I'm paying for a PS5 upgrade of TLOU2/Ghost of Tsushima then they're in for a shock.

I think Sony will be more than happy for you to buy a PS5 and play the copies of the PS4 games you spent $120 on. The idea that this is sticking it to them in some way is hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
That all seems extreme. Xbox will do $70 games once they have next gen titles to release, and no one points out that their budget $300 SKU doesn't allow used games in any shape. Neither does $400 PS5 but it's the same as the $500 one, whereas XSS is clearly positioned to entice budget consumers. How come no one is saying Xbox (and by extension digital PS5) is anti consumer because it takes away their rights to sell their games?

Europe is already giving Valve flack for not letting users sell their games on Steam, so it's only a Matter of time before were able to sell our digital titles hopefully.

not only that but this "Sony lied about generations" stuff is so strange since they have 9 PS5 (some PC too) only games in 2020-21 vs the 3 that are crossgen with PS4. That's strange IMo that people are giving them flack for that, and not Xbox for having only a crossgen Halo and next gen Forza as the only known 2021 titles when Avowed, Everwild, Fable are clearly 2022 games

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Praying for the day this pro/anti-consumer meme dies. They are all in it to make money
What does the fact that they're in it to make money have to do with not wanting a pro/anti consumer discussion? Are you honestly saying they all behave the same way because that's blatantly not true and hence there is a discussion to be had.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Seems like my decision to stop buying Sony hardware after the Vita might have been a good decision.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
hehe. sony needs to understand being market leader should not mean you should take advantage of your customers...
How are they taking advantage? Their positions on remasters is quite consistent. They usually release a budget priced remaster in the next generation. God of War 3 and TLOU followed this model.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Sony would be in a better position if they weren't so quiet about the system features. We literally haven't seen the OS yet. With no new "Playstation news" to discuss, everyone is just talking about other happenings including anything that may seem negative.

I think once Sony drops every single detail out there, the chats will slowly move towards more positive vibes. Also in case everyone forgot, Demon's Souls is launching with PS5. That alone is huge. (Hoping mods keep the port begging in check though)

Oct 28, 2017
🤔
I've been confused with the whining of the 70$ raise for next gen. Did MS said they won't charge 70$ for next gen henceforth?
As far as I know everyone is moving to that pricing others sooner than later so I'm confused why they are acting like Sony is the only one doing it

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Then Sony isn't anymore anti-consumer than Nintendo I guess? I don't buy into the notion that any big corporation is pro-consumer. Sony deserves to be criticized but this is honestly getting so exhausting.

Status
Not open for further replies.