• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yesterday I had an experience with a video game that led me to an ephiphany. I think that framerate truly doesn't matter.

I was playing through a part of Mass Effect 3 on pc, and I was enjoying it. It's fun to vault around cover and fun to shoot, and to pause the game and do the tactical commands. On pc you're benefited with higher resolutions and framerates to get the best out of the experience, but then something bad happened... I thought.

3rXvcGl.png

The game froze.

I of course rolled my eyes at this. Oh... GAWD! Heeeere we go again. This game is full of bugs, isn't it?

But then I paused, after all I was forced to. I realized what I was looking at was quite stunning. In fact, I think it's very common for games nowadays: They all look so pretty. They're artistically accomplished and know what they're doing with their usage of colors and graphical implementation to make everything look so good. Not just for pretty's sake, but to give something that resonates with your eyeballs. I love this screenshot that I was forced to stare at. More importantly, it made me realize the one conclusion I'm going to have to make.

Framerate doesn't matter. If games are this pretty to look at, that's enough in itself. The game doesn't need to unfreeze. I will be looking at this until I die of old age.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has the OP just had a revelation he enjoys staring at screenshots more than playing games?

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Says a lot that you enjoyed the game more when you couldnt play it. I wouldnt expect such a person to care about framerates.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Framerate does matter. In a racer, fighting game, shooter and everything that is real time based and relies on tight inputs.
It does even matter more for eSports

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a couple cool PowerPoint presentations I could send you, if you're interested!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Play Sekiro on console

Then play it on PC

Come back and tell me that again

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
This thread will age like milk.

It's also not about having the highest fps it's also about being consistent frame drops are a huge turn off.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
No one read the OP: he's literally saying framerate doesn't matter when all you like are images. :v
It's intentionally a shitpost.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Bloodborne is the best example on how framerate can hold a game back from perfection.

Edit: even if its a joke thread my comment is still true so I will leave it like that

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Framerates do matter.

30 fps is perfectly playable for me, as long as it's STABLE. Of course 60 fps is superior, but i will take a stable 30 fps over a 60 fps game that's all over the place.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There are some genres for you: visual novels and old point-and-click adventures. Enjoy the static images and irrelevant framerates.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
There are good 30 fps games. But 60 fps always improves the experience. And it's kind of necessary for platformers which are my favorite genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.