• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Can't make this shit up, sounds like a rejected MadTV premise.

To protect the identity of a teen sex trafficking victim, a French TV show put her in blackface and an afro-style wig.

The weekly show, Sept à huit (Seven to Eight), aired an interview on Sunday featuring 17-year-old "Nina," according to the Daily Mail.

The show's host, Harry Roselmack, who is Black, defended the show's reasoning to put dark "makeup" on the victim, leading her to appear Black. He said the decision was based on research and a "test" with his team as well as experts. He added that Nina and her parents were also on board.

"Without going into details that could help identify Nina, this choice was the most visually efficient," he said, according to theGrio. "It has happened that we approved, in a similar context, the opposite makeup: lightening the skin of a Black woman to allow her to testify."

I want to see the whiteface now

DD_Nina.jpg.webp

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why the fuck didn't they just use a blur effect like they did for the last 20 years or so of regular TV?
Makes no sense.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
They couldn't use her silhouette and alter her voice?

I'm not going to criticize her decision to engage in an interview, as someone who has interviewed victims of sexual assault, they either fall into one of two camps: they don't want to be involved in a sometimes very shitty legal process, or they want to confront their attacker openly.

I will say that none of the victims I knew ever wanted to put on a wig or costume, let alone blackface.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This is such an incredibly weird decision, I don't even know if I would want to learn what kind of research lead to this

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
You mean you couldn't turn off the lights and change up the voice? Like in every other show where they hide identities?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I've heard there's software to undo it, but I don't know if that's real or an urban legend. This is a pretty ridiculous alternative though. Just put her in the dark like they do on Dateline.

There is indeed software that can undo it mosic and other blur effects. However, this is just weird, why not just put on a mask?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this does a worse job than the usual outline + voice distortion effect to hide her face. Like you can still see prominent facial features.

Also racist.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There's the yearly "blackface during Black History Month" news I've not been looking forward to.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that hard for just one person to look at that before going on air and say "wait a second..."

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i was expecting the justification to be something like "being able to see a persons eyes makes it easier for people to empathise".

either way this is stupid,go with silhouette and voice distortion or genric wig and back of the head interview.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot find any logical reason why this happened.
Why not blur/backlit or simply have face turned from camera? What does this accomplish?

This legit feels like some absurdist sketch.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I remember seeing that briefly and having a weird feeling about this woman but I couldn't guess what it was about. Now I know...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is why I hope that I never have to witness a murder, because they're going to make me wear a bowtie and sing Swanee River.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else find some shit so blatantly and absurdly racist that your first reaction isn't even anger, but just to laugh at how fucked up it is? Like what in the actual fuck

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like, what they were doing before was perfectly fine. I really don't understand why they spent actual money for this and how exactly nobody said that this would be a non starter. But with the way TF1 is 99% white, I can see how that happened.

i wonder ifHarry Roselmack (the TV host who's black) tried to fight it.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck. Not only is that offensive but it also is the worst disguise ever.....

She looks like she has a tan and a perm, who is that going to trick!?!

Jesus.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sheer idiocy aside, if we knew who she was, we could probably see through the disguise, so I don't see how this would even enter someone's mind as an effective disguise.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, obviously this was a really stupid way to do this, but if I had to guess, the idea was maybe to avoid blur and distort to keep a more human element to the person telling their story? That's pretty much the only reason I could imagine, but i mean the clear solution is have a stand in surely?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
The only source cited in the article is the Daily Mail, which is not a reputable publication. Feel free to repost the topic if you find a suitable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.