• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User banned (3 days): ableist slur
So i have been playing Dead Space trilogy for first time. Really loved the first and second one, played both twice and was looking forward to the third one.

I wanted to try coop since its only way to experience some of the missions. To my great surprise I wasnt able to do that because i apparently need some sort of season pass or dlc or whatever. Weird fucking choice but ok.

As I play, I realize that the third one isnt that scary, but never mind, I like action/horror survival either way.

Then I get to know the weapon and crafting system. What the fuck man? How am I supposed to try all these weapons and find out which one is best in less then 5 playthroughs or something?

There are just too many options and i dont feel like the crafting system was well explained, i had to google a lot of the stuff.
Also fuck resources. Having the option to actually craft a useful weapon and then prevent you from doing so if you forget to send some fucking drone on scavenge hunt? Lol. Nevermind that, I was actually sending him often. I did all side missions and i looked at every corner of the game finding a lot of hidden resources. I still couldnt craft anything from blueprints other than basic shotgun, the Lines gun and the game never explained to me how to get the specific weapon outcomes out of all the options.

Then... fucking hell then I learn that i need to actually buy some great weapon that are locked behind microtransactions.

After my first session, i save my game and turn off the console. On the next day, to my surprise, i realize that the game didnt save properly. I ended up at the section just before side missions. I didnt have certain key and resources in my inventory so I had to do it all over again. I read something about retarted save system in this game but man, its reaaallly bad.

And finally few hours ago i lost 3 or 4 hours of progress. After I cleared a side mission and lot of main mission, I returned to the "space train skip". But instead of continuing in main mission I decided to look for more supplies as I was low on ammo and parts and everything and just couldnt believe that I cant craft shit... so the game decided that I didnt play for the last 4 hours. Enemies respawned again with hunters and everyone that tried to kill me. Just because I entered the door right next to the skip, it locked behind me and forced me to do the whole area again. I lost ammo on these enemies twice, but ok, i can survive that, stupid bug. And when I finally got to the skip, it played the cutscene/dialogue from.4 hours ago. I realized that the game deleted all my progress.

So, fuck Dead Space 3 in all its glory. I cant believe how bad it is compared to 1 and 2. All the slander and critique that I kept running into since its release.. i just didnt believe that. I believe that if I actually finished this game that I would find a lot more problems with it.

I needed to vent. I came across a few saving progress bugs but this shit is just too much. Deleting 4 hours of progress in game without reloading anything just because i decided to backtrack via ONE door...

If you enjoyed the first two, just dont bother with this one.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because Dead Space 3 is a soulless cash grab that killed the series

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I seem to recall that there is a bug where you can easily grind infinite resources by leaving and rentering a certain room/area.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Because Dead Space 3 came out in 2012(?) when publishers (particularly EA) were getting very excited about these new ways to milk people for more over inconsequential shit.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Dead Space 2 lost them money so EA forced the third game to copy all the latest trends from other games, killing the IP for good.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
I've been meaning to try DS3 but I take it I shouldn't and just replay DS1-2 instead.

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Fucking EA. How could they fucking screw up this big. And then killing thia studio... i wasnt so angry about a videogame like this for a very long time.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
DS1 was so good, and then DS2 continued being great, looking MUCH better and still running perfectly on my real bad PC on release. DS3 was a huge, huge letdown.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I assume EA mandated Dead Space 3 make a certain amount of money that both EA and Visceral knew the game wouldn't be able to make so crafting with a shitty mobile game resource timer was added in the hopes of pushing some MTX.

At least I found playing through the game it worked fine enough that there was no sense of pressure or temptation to spend at all, but it was still a shitty addition.

Didn't mind the weapon crafting itself though, it was fun creating something silly and overpowered.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
That sucks, I love the Dead Space series but yeah 3 was just the weakest. I beat it once and didn't touch it again or the epilogue. Shame it likely killed the series because 1 and 2 were amazing games and I never touch horror games.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I call BS, you absolutely dont have to buy any MTX to get everything out of the gun crafting. The game non stop throws resources at you to the point that the MTX are irrelevant.

I've beaten the game 5+ times and haven't spent a dollar on MTX and every playthrough I've been able to use a different combination of weapons. Your complaints about gun crafting are nonsense imo. It's simple as hell to understand and how on earth is giving you a lot options a bad thing?

Dead Space 3 is one of the best co-op games of all time.

As for online play EA made all of their previous online passes free, so you dont have to buy anything.

Last edited:

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I've been meaning to try DS3 but I take it I shouldn't and just replay DS1-2 instead.

The thing about weapon crafting is... I always managed to stumble onto super broken combos. Like electrified explosive gatling guns. I don't know if my weapons were the best, but htey were certainly OP.

It's a perfectly functional spooky action game. Lesser than its siblings to be sure, but still I thought it was plenty fun, outside of the hatchet job they did to Ellie. Give it a shot, if you find it cheap or on gamepass. It's polarizing, between people who really don't like it and people who thought it was fine but not as good as the others, and I'm in the latter camp. Don't regret my purchase at all.

Fucking EA. How could they fucking screw up this big. And then killing thia studio... i wasnt so angry about a videogame like this for a very long time.

I mean, they had a Battlefield game they did. The real studio killer was the clusterfuck that was their Star Wars game, which from most of what I heard had to do with internal fuckups at Visceral.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

No its definitely worth playing. It's not as good as 1-2 but the weapon system is fun to mess with.
If you can get somebody play with you it's fantastic. One of the best coop games imo.

The checkpointing is silly. You need to commit to finishing a side mission or else you lose progress if you just quit midway.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a solid game that got way OTT hate (see most of EA's late 360 era output in general). As you can see here even, with people agreeing that it was a soulless cash grab when they didn't even play it lol. This is from the era when capital G Gamers got EA voted worst company of the year when like Bank of America was ruining people's lives. Don't buy too much into the reception of games from that period if you haven't experienced them.

It ain't one of the greats but I'd still take it over a lot of the other survival horror games of that generation, especially with the co-op partner actually having some cool ideas attached.

Last edited:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
dead space 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games that gen.

part 3 i refuse to acknowledge its existence

edit: yeah you might wanna edit that OP

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
The first two hours of the game i really didn't enjoy, to much action in my opinion. I absolutely love 1 and 2, 3 is just a huge bummer for me and after watching some gameplay it really turned me off the game.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
Eh it's not as good as the first two games but I still enjoyed it.
The thing about weapon crafting is... I always managed to stumble onto super broken combos. Like electrified explosive gatling guns. I don't know if my weapons were the best, but htey were certainly OP.

It's a perfectly functional spooky action game. Lesser than its siblings to be sure, but still I thought it was plenty fun, outside of the hatchet job they did to Ellie. Give it a shot, if you find it cheap or on gamepass. It's polarizing, between people who really don't like it and people who thought it was fine but not as good as the others, and I'm in the latter camp. Don't regret my purchase at all.

I mean, they had a Battlefield game they did. The real studio killer was the clusterfuck that was their Star Wars game, which from most of what I heard had to do with internal fuckups at Visceral.
No its definitely worth playing. It's not as good as 1-2 but the weapon system is fun to mess with.
If you can get somebody play with you it's fantastic. One of the best coop games imo.

The checkpointing is silly. You need to commit to finishing a side mission or else you lose progress if you just quit midway.

Thanks a lot for good replies. I really enjoyed 1-2 back in the day, even though I'm not normally a fan of scary games, so will make sure to try this as well.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
It's not really a survival horror game, and it's the weakest of the three by far, but I had a genuinely good time playing it in coop last year. For most of the game we were on the highest difficulty and it never felt as though microtransactions were being forced on us either.

Then again I'm a weirdo who had a genuinely good time with RE6 in coop soooo

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks a lot for good replies. I really enjoyed 1-2 back in the day, even though I'm not normally a fan of scary games, so will make sure to try this as well.

It'd more actiony than scary--albeit honestly... DS was never particularly scary too me. It's kinda... too fuckin' metal. Isaac Clarke's design (especialy in the first game) honestly would fit a survival horror antagonist just as well as the protag, and he can slow down time and levitate stuff with his mind/RIG. Until Doomguy retook the throne, I'd honestly say Isaac Clarke felt more badass than almost any other sci fi shooter protagonist.

Like you're fighting the retooled corpses of slain crewmembers full of claws and teeth, using mining tools, sometimes without gravity... and honestly it felt less scary than more something where it's mildly horror-tinged, but badass metal should be playing in the background as you stomp in evil's face.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Because Dead Space 3 is a soulless cash grab that killed the series
8ydm7x2i7qd41.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.