• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Link to article

https://news.gallup.com/poll/388781/political-party-preferences-shifted-greatly-during-2021.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- On average, Americans' political party preferences in 2021 looked similar to prior years, with slightly more U.S. adults identifying as Democrats or leaning Democratic (46%) than identified as Republicans or leaned Republican (43%).

However, the general stability for the full-year average obscures a dramatic shift over the course of 2021, from a nine-percentage-point Democratic advantage in the first quarter to a rare five-point Republican edge in the fourth quarter

It is very rare for republicans to outpace democrats in the metric

The GOP has held as much as a five-point advantage in a total of only four quarters since 1991. The Republicans last held a five-point advantage in party identification and leaning in early 1995, after winning control of the House of Representatives for the first time since the 1950s. Republicans had a larger advantage only in the first quarter of 1991, after the U.S. victory in the Persian Gulf War led by then-President George H.W. Bush.

Pretty much signals the dems are fucked in the midterms, but that was already obvious.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democratic Party has nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm sure the majority of them are okay with it. Their bank accounts are doing great.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, I look forward to Trump's next term and all the Late Night comedy show hijinks.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I mean the only appeal of democrats is that they're "not republicans" and there's only so far you can go with that.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait to leave this country again. Moving back had to have been one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

I wonder how many people identify as leftists or progressives but not Democrats. I know quite a few people who will never vote for a Republican, but will also never identify as a Democrat (despite reluctantly voting for them). Both parties leave them in the dust, but they all know that one is significantly worse than the other.

I mean the only appeal of democrats is that they're "not republicans" and there's only so far you can go with that.

Yep.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
They need to start positioning Pete or Julian as new blood to get in front of 2024 otherwise we're looking at a nightmare scenario.

Jun 10, 2018
Ahh, I remember the good ol days when people would toss out the intellectually disingenuous bullshit regressive thinking would die with the olds.

How incredibly naive and stupid some of us were.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's company is global so there's hope we can get out of here in a few years.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
When you have the presidency, you pay a price for the things you don't achieve. When you have a trifecta, you eat shit.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats will lose because they got Manchins and Sinemas in their ranks blocking the platform.

Simple as that.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, Dems will make it up by shaming their voting base and blaming them.

Tried and true tactic of winning hearts.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I've been trying to encourage friends to leave sooner than later, but all of them are set in their ways, coddled in the convenience rather than wanting to do anything about it despite seeing the slow-motion car crash in front of them.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Probably the key thing to takeaway is either identify as Republication or "leaning Republican." It doesn't necessarily mean that these people suddenly became GOP members, in a nutshell it basically means that a lot of people who are considered 'independents' are now leaning towards voting for the GOP. There's also other small details that probably contributed here, but that's core thing.

And, as pointed out by others, it's obvious why. Biden's presidency has been the shits. It's not all his fault, but little has gotten done (at least little that's impacting the day to day life of everyday Americans), and his big promise to 'bring back normalcy' has been a huge flop for most people since clearly that didn't happen. And again, it's not all his fault, but most people attach the state of the country to the President and his administration. It doesn't help that Biden is just terrible at things like messaging and speaking, unlike Trump, who knew how to talk to his base and how to do it well. Biden can't really connect with anyone. It's a disaster all around.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Who's really surprised though? Democrats we're handed the Presidency and the Senate on a silver platter thanks to Americans around the world uniting in taking Trump down. Along with controlling the House, yet have done absolute jack. And now Americans are pissed about the ever-growing rising prices due to inflation and shortages around the world. Granted that's not Biden's fault, but he sure as hell hasn't done much to counter it or boost any confidence in this party.

We are so screwed later this year and 2024.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeyup. Democrats can't/won't even whip their party to get legislation through. Not shocked when a lot of them are Neo-liberal trash.

Miss me with the tears come midterms.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One party is capable evil and the other party is inept net neutral. We are soooooo fucked lol

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The unfortunate truth of the matter is that such a massive amount of people just do not give a shit and are swayed by pure charisma and visibility. Democrats have such an abysmal "brand" or "appeal" to the people who have no horse in the race and just casually engage with politics.

It's all become a pathetic sports game, and the losers are dying.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, I remember the good ol days when people would toss out the intellectually disingenuous bullshit regressive thinking would die with the olds.

How incredibly naive and stupid some of us were.
That whole "they just need to die" nonsense was a great way for Democrats to justify doing shit and all, because why bother trying hard to do things that help Americans and appeal to voters when "demographics is destiny".
Just wait it out in the future all elections will be won by a landslide!

But that what happen when you listen to pollsters so much.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't ever underestimate how many people crave autocratic fascism because it 'gets things done' faster than Democracy.

Women, queer people, and minorities should be absolutely terrified. Also those with chronic illness and disease.

Of course, most cis white women want the fascism too so maybe I shouldn't say 'women' as a blanket term.

Be warned, if America falls, the rest of the Western world will too in short order.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

With a proper comms and image strategy to improve across minorities (specifically Black Americans) he actually has the numbers to get there because of the Midwest appeal. The gay card is a bit of an unknown at the national scale but he could potentially appeal at the national level.

Of course his policies need work but you're looking at odds to beating a very scary threat.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of countries are moving to right and inwards.

That's not great for US as we are already generally a pretty right wing country to begin with.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Being Not Trump and doing fucking nothing and not even pretending to give a fuck convincingly

Hmmm yeah maybe not a winning strategy

Let's redact a few more reports that would tell people that you could, in fact, do SOMETHING instead of crying about mean senators in YOUR OWN PARTY blocking any attempt to do fucking anything at all

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
This data is not always super meaningful because it fluctuates up and down frequently with bread and butter issues as people vent frustration being more representative of the general mood rather than a long term trend, in this case economic (inflation, supply) and COVID.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Lets be real here: the only democrat that would make any noise in the next election or 2 would be AOC.

Fox News has completely tanked her image across the aisle. She would need to get past the propaganda machine via an elevated government position and she definitely isn't taking the senate any time soon.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
These results are based on aggregated data from all U.S. Gallup telephone surveys in 2021, which included interviews with more than 12,000 randomly sampled U.S. adults.

Think about the kind of people who'd answer the phone from unknown numbers in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.