• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Guessing this is like a deus ex or dead space situation where it's a decision added late in development that didn't affect game balance in any meaningful way.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
For an off-year half-sequel? Good luck, Bethesda.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Guessing this is like a deus ex or dead space situation where it's a decision added late in development that didn't affect game balance in any meaningful way.
And just like with Deus Ex and Dead Space 3, people who haven't actually played the game will claim it's ruined the balancing and they're shoved in your face at every opportunity.

They sound like the typical throw away micro transactions that have no affect on the game itself.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously you can't just quote the full article, but the other paragraph is pretty important:

MachineGames was explicit in saying that you could get these items with in-game currency and that spending real world money would just speed up the process to acquiring them. The closest comparison one may draw is to Ubisoft's progress enhancers microtransactions in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Far Cry 5.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as a gameplay-relevant microtransaction that doesn't affect the game balance. Y'all are dreaming.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Paid cheat codes, cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if it takes some grind to get all the stuff ingame because of this.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. These sorts of games don't sell much these days, and gamers won't tolerate prices rising with inflation, or at all, but already we see the hot takes from people declaring the game is dead to them, without even knowing the specifics of what is offered and that it probably has zero effect on how they'd be playing the game.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any non-monetary reason they couldn't just give you these abilities for free? Are there leaderboards or some shit?

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on bethesda don't act stupid the moment the rest of the industry is slowly walking away from this stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Not super bothered since I would never buy them but to echo others, that "some of our players are busy in their real lvies and just want everything unlocked" logic never washed with me. If you recognise that, why not just have a cheat code option in the menu for those folks? Not sure where it being a paid service comes from. Rage 2 leaned into this in fact, and is really fun for it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And just like with Deus Ex and Dead Space 3, people who haven't actually played the game will claim it's ruined the balancing and they're shoved in your face at every opportunity.

They sound like the typical throw away micro transactions that have no affect on the game itself.
Yep. I swear these are only written as news threads to incite that sort of reaction.

Oct 27, 2017
Having finished The New Colossus this past week, I can't imagine there will be any sort of demand for that option. The games are short enough experiences that it doesn't really seem worthwhile, but I guess everyone's free time is different.

Nov 30, 2018
Doesn't affect me because I can play the game and unlock them myself

Have the Deluxe Edition preordered and can't wait to give my friend a buddy pass

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MachineGames was explicit in saying that you could get these items with in-game currency and that spending real world money would just speed up the process to acquiring them.

I dont know how this implementation will turn out. It maybe benign or awful. But I genuinely hate this bullshit explanation that comes up EVERY single time a dev tries to soft peddle MT's that change gameplay. Because it is fat fucking nothing of a commitment. We dont know how much of a grind you have made the "process to acquire" these items. It could just be you are selling us cheat codes (which is not great but its kinda acceptable these days) or you could be locking common shit behind hours of repetitive garbage to force us to consider paying.

Not that I ever pre order games but if I ever did, statements like that would be giant red lights with blaring alarm sounds.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for that government regulation to arrive

Regulation is not going to affect this. This is a simple 1:1 transaction. Even if it is a transaction many will not like. No gambling; you get exactly what you pay for.

In fact, more games might go this way if loot boxes become even more of a dirty word

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Who buys this shit?

I will never understand the idea of paying to play a game less. If the grind isn't fun, just don't play the game.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
If I pay extra, can I be alerted to when I'm about to die, or where I'm being shot from?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
My read of the Twitter thread (which is kinda unclear) is that silver can be used to buy upgrades, gold is used to buy cosmetics and you can't use gold to buy silver? (Where silver is ingame currency and gold is out of game currency, wouldnt be surprised to see gold buying XP though...)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So in game silver, no MTs - I'm glad they clarified it directly. I wonder if it will be an option later - I swear Game Informer is trying to look out, but it's been getting dicey with dev teams. We need Sterling to get to the bottom of this!

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda has been on a huge downward spiral for a long time now, so this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

That is if silver can be purchased. Weaseling out of it on a technicality would be peak Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.