• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking because I keep seeing a double standard witin our community.

I have heard hate laced diatribes aimed at the LGBTQ community coming from youtubers but in one particular case we somehow keep supporting a certain youtuber because he has some inside information about next generation specs? Like. What are we doing? How are we as a community allowing their content to be posted anywhere on our forum. I've seen similar types of content be removed quickly but because "Dealer Gaming" has a few spec sheets up his sleeve we turn a blind eye?

That shit is downright disgusting. And I'm asking as a community where do we stand? He previously deleted most of his hate speech and now posts specs so it's ok? Despite his hate speech still being accessible online?

I'm interested to see if anyone cares to defend this.

To be clear I'm talking specifically about Dealer Gaming's rants against the LGBTQ community.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most of the time people simply don't know because people don't follow everyone that close

But it is complex to go like this because people who said bad things in the past have turned into good people so it is not like people can't grow

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's people from the next gen thread that still visit Gaf because it has "insiders".

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno anything about the example you're referring too, but I suggest reporting it with receipts and seeing what happens.

OP
OP
OG_Thrills

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time people simply don't know because people don't follow everyone that close

But it is complex to go like this because people who said bad things in the past have turned into good people so it is not like people can't grow

This is the bit that confuses me the most. We don't allow others who have the exact same hostory to be posted here but Dealer is ok? I need to know why?

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
It's basically because those people don't care. Most people have that mentality of "if it doesn't affect me, then I don't care", which I think is very sad. If the said youtuber (I don't know who you're talking about) say hateful things about LGBT people, and he is straight, the person will just no care.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
There is no defense, people are quick to forget/ignore if it benefits them. As long as it's not hurting them, why stop?

If someone on YouTube is heartfelt and remorseful for their actions and words, genuine efforts to better themselves and become a better person, then I'll reconsider my scorched Earth policy towards them.

For the shitheads that delete their tweets and then make a video in front of a white background and tells me how I misinterpreted their racism for something else? Dead to me, and I will make sure my friends that do continue to watch them know about what they have said and done, and hopefully they will stop watching too.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What info does this guy even have cause it looks like he's just some click baity bullshit.

I'm gonna go with a fuck 'em.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I dont know who the fuck is that Dealer guy but if he promotes hate speech then sure he should be a banned source.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There are so many gaming content creators on YouTube that I can easily drop someone and find someone else once it comes out that they're an awful person

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of this person. What have they supposedly leaked? I visit the next gen hysteria thread now and then but haven't read it thoroughly.

Kace

Feb 10, 2020
the system
Had no idea who you were even talking about, after googling him this was the first thing to come up.

"Dealer gaming is a YouTube commentator in the crumb side. Dealer Gaming is known for making outlandish claims. He claimed gaming headsets are better than 60FPS for video games. In a debate, Dealer said PC gaming is too complicated, not user-friendly, and has passwords. He claimed particle effects didn't exist until the 7th generation of gaming and said resolution doesn't give you graphics."

Sounds like a fool that people watch to make fun of to me

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The exact phrase "Dealer Gaming" brought 47 hits on Google for resetera.com, the top two of which were these threads:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...a-responds-see-threadmark-wasnt-aware.132370/ (your thread)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...ople-to-follow-homophobic-toxic-gamer.123121/

Going through the list of results, I see it being called out almost every single time.

Here's the most recent example: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...stors-running-this-again.173318/post-29640345

He was called out twice in the same page, once with a link to your thread.

So this is

1) Not that widespread
2) Is called out every time it happens
3) The most visible mentions of Dealer Gaming are threads pointing out his problematic history

I think ResetEra dot com is ok on this one?

OP
OP
OG_Thrills

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's basically because those people don't care. Most people have that mentality of "if it doesn't affect me, then I don't care", which I think is very sad. If the said youtuber (I don't know who you're talking about) say hateful things about LGBT people, and he is straight, the person will just no care.
There is no defense, people are quick to forget/ignore if it benefits them. As long as it's not hurting them, why stop?

If someone on YouTube is heartfelt and remorseful for their actions and words, genuine efforts to better themselves and become a better person, then I'll reconsider my scorched Earth policy towards them.

For the shitheads that delete their tweets and then make a video in front of a white background and tells me how I misinterpreted their racism for something else? Dead to me, and I will make sure my friends that do continue to watch them know about what they have said and done, and hopefully they will stop watching too.
What info does this guy even have cause it looks like he's just some click baity bullshit.

I'm gonna go with a fuck 'em.

I heard a lot of what this person had to say. Shit that would make your blood boil. He proceeded to delete most of it but some of that content is still up. As a community we refuse to post the content of people with simmilar content but it seems that because he might have some clickbaity "I got the inside track on next generation specs" he's being posted frequently.

I'm prepared to write to the owner of this site if need be. It's a sickening fact that we're inadvertently pushing his content. That shit is disgusting on a basic and human level.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is the first time I'm hearing about Dealer Gaming. Can you provide more context?
Same here, I'm curious to know what happened since this the first I'm hearing of them (though in a way, I guess it should make them easier to ignore). But if it's anything like ProJared or RelaxAlax, scorched Earth & unsubscribe/unfollow them on everything unless they show legitimate efforts to better themselves.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually watched like a three hour video from kind of a jerk the other day.

I really enjoyed the content about the game (YIIK) but throughout there we these weird jokes..."retard" was thrown around but, I guess, some folks don't really know how harmful that word is and it wasn't aimed at an actual disabled person. But there were these weird jokes about black people that I thought was the YouTuber mocking the guy who wrote YIIK for being that way in real life or something, but then at the end, BAM, "JonTron didn't deserve to be disliked".

I felt kind of dirty afterwards. It's a shame because the guy had some great points about the game and it was an interesting watch but the weird racism that wasn't ironic as it turned out put me away from the rest of his content.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I didn't know the guy or his deeds, but I tend to agree with OP, haters have an already growing pasture of like-minded assholes, why giving them ANY attention in here?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just check the Era list of Banned sites, Persons and Discussion topics.

I'm sure that the staff wants to be absolutely clear and upfront with this kind of stuff and not hide it away in some secret discord summit or whatever...

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
...where are you seeing his work being lauded? Maybe I just don't frequent the right threads, but this is all news to me.

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
I have a simple standard. Dont judge anyone for past actions, unless those actions justify current behaviour. I like to think that, just as me, people can change and ignorance beaten

OP
OP
OG_Thrills

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a simple standard. Dont judge anyone for past actions, unless those actions justify current behaviour. I like to think that, just as me, people can change and ignorance beaten

You can't be serious?

His abhorrent and disgusting rants are still on social media and therefore still has the potential to adversely affect a much maligned community... Look, I don't care about his personal growth. I'm just trying to make sure we get a clear distinction about his content being posted on our forum.

Feb 21, 2018
Not familiar with the individual but a private company like Resetera or YouTube has the right to refuse service to anyone. Using an internet platform is a privilege not a right, a company doesn't need a reason to ban someone. Hate speech may be protected in the US but let's not forget that all websites are privately owned businesses. Getting a Twitter ban isn't infringing on Constitutional rights, it's a business decision. Those concerned with censorship can build their own website, problem solved.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If a person has proven via actions and behaviour over time to have grown and has actively denounced their old behaviours, I would feel fine supporting them. It would need to be incresig obvious and sincere though, and some behaviours I likely could forgive but not forget and support.

If they've made no clear indication of this, how do I know they just didn't get better at hiding it?

There are too many great content makers out there who do not have a history of this, anyway. If a person does not show meaningful change, I will no longer support them.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If you see problematic content then report it. This place isn't perfect but they do ok generally with that stuff. For the record I don't follow any "gamers", don't even know who this one is.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
There are a number of content creators that are we do not allow a platform for due to their views and what they promote in their content, but such issues are best reported to staff rather than for public discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.