• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2019
im pretty sure the xbox version doesnt actually have this effect in use at all, this effect normally adds alot of depth to games but here its very poorly used (or bugged ) ?

48695337892_5741b65c46_o.jpg

48694822718_cc2dbca855_o.png

heres the last screen without ambient occlusion for comparison sake

48695179536_64c889dc5e_o.png

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I might be misunderstanding, but you can adjust the AO density if that's what you're referring to. If that's not it, could you describe what you're seeing that's an issue?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad i don't care about these things. I have no idea what i'm supposed to be seeing here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm zooming in on those images and only see a single area where the shading could be heavier. Seems like pretty solid AO overall

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Xbox version has AO, or maybe I've been missing it. It's one of the things holding the game back for me visually, the scenes lack a depth and look a bit clean and sterile. I don't know what effect the game lacks that is resulting in that look.

It still manages to be a visual treat, but I suppose that's the sacrifice for 60 FPS.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this just looks like the typical limitations of AO as a technique and nothing to do with the specific implementation in gears. it's a post-processing effect that isn't going to completely realistically light hundreds of pieces of foliage that all presumably have their own transparencies etc

honestly a few missed leaves and a couple of white outlines is nowhere near the worst AO outcome i've seen in games. anyone remember far cry 3 lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
it creates horrid artifacts as circled in my post no matter what intensioty you choose ( i also tried various ue4 ini tweaks to improve ao quality to no aval either)

I think you might need to use your words about what artifacts you're talking about. I'm honestly having trouble seeing what you're highlighting. Here are a few of the unscaled spots you circled:

HGXz53J.png

VFuQ5eC.png

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Wow that's pretty bad. I mean who the hell lets red circles like that in the final product ? What the fuck were they thinking ?!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about ready to put OP on ignore, I'm so confused at what they're trying to highlight. In this entire example image, I don't see the white outlines they're describing (and definitely not in the circled area shown here), which considering it's clearly an AO-heavy scene, makes me thing they're seeing something...else?

po2lbXM.png

never

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's because I wear glasses and don't have super hero vision, but if I was playing a game that involves running around and shooting things there's absolutely no chance I'd notice those tiny white specs.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't speak Digital Foundrese. what am I supposed to see here, other than red circles over batches of leaves?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm about ready to put OP on ignore, I'm so confused at what they're trying to highlight. In this entire example image, I don't see the white outlines they're describing (and definitely not in the circled area shown here), which considering it's clearly an AO-heavy scene, makes me thing they're seeing something...else?
this thread is pretty dumb but there's some artifacting happening here and there due to the AO, take a look at the white outlines in the yellow circle in the first pic for example and the dithering in the others

still a really nitpicky thing to complain about tbh, like how do you even notice this in normal play

sEWBSgN.png

vEySGqH.png

8miEBGE.png

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
im so glad im not the only one who read the OP and felt completely lost as to what was supposed to be wrong

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Can you post pictures with the AO set to off to compare. I do see the see artifacts in the pictures, but are you sure it's because of the AO? At 1st glance it reminds me of the bad artifacting in the foliage of FH4.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those artifacts are there and it would be noticeable when playing. I'm ready for everything to be raytraced at high rays per pixel.

I'm pretty tired of all sorts of common artifacts damaging otherwise great scenes / visuals.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
this thread is pretty dumb but there's some artifacting happening here and there due to the AO, take a look at the white outlines in the yellow circle for example

still a really nitpicky thing to complain about tbh, like how do you even notice this in normal play

sEWBSgN.png
I've seen outlined leaves like that before in the wild.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I had trouble spotting what you were talking about but now i see, there are some white outlines in the leaves and artifacts here and there the biggest one being in the middle of the screen. There is a big line at the top of the half red circle to the bottom.
The middle one is very obvious.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
it creates horrid artifacts as circled in my post no matter what intensioty you choose ( i also tried various ue4 ini tweaks to improve ao quality to no aval either)

I see the weird dithering-type effect in the second image pretty clearly. I wonder if it's a temporal issue or upscaling issue, are you playing with dynamic res on?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. Extremely minor visual flaws that 95% of players will never even notice.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I feel like it's best not read this so I don't end up spotting this kind of stuff. Wood for trees.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I didn't personally have an issue with it during gameplay, Queen is definitely right about the AO being kinda broken in this game (and when I mean I didn't have an issue I mean that it was borked in my game too, but I was having fun, so I didn't really care).

Here's a more zoomed-in image from the leaves:

unknown.png

As you can see, there's a white outline around some, and some dithering going on as well.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried the game but it doesn't look bad to me. Sure artifacts aren't nice but at least the effect isn't set to some high strength and floating over everything in the scene... almost like it's bleeding around edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.