• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So Gears 5 is fast approaching, about 2 months from now exactly, and it feels like we have barely seen anything from the games single player content. In fact it feels like after the pretty cool reveal at E3 2018 they have been almost downplaying the campaing, certainly it didn't get a center stage at E3 this year like most assumed it would. Did I mention the game is out in 2 friggin months?

Well, I just came across this lil clip talking about the game's motion capture:

While I don't want to jump the gun just yet I'm starting to get this feeling it might not end up being the next AAA-epic from Microsoft that they desperately need. This is the time to show that Gamespass isn't going to completely cripple their high budget SP content cause it's a loooong way until Halo comes out. I hope this all ends up just being them wanting to keep things under wraps to surprise people but damn, give us something!

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am worried.

There is zero reason 8 weeks out not to build up the hype.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
magic-johnson-eating-popcorn.gif

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Gonna quote myself from what i said earlier in the Xbox OT:

They'll be pushing content very close to launch which considering the nature of game pass where "if they know about it, they'll check it out" makes perfect sense and feels very Netflix-like. In a way we've been speculating about MS potentially keeping announcements for games very close until they're ready to go, just because of their push on game pass. Marketing could be happening in a very similar way and maybe might've already been happening with other XGS games like SoT.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the lack of the campaign in E3 coupled with this news. I had high hopes for the campaign before when i heard its supposed to have bigger areas kinda like the new god of war, but i am starting to fear it might not have the necessary budget for its campaign to deliver.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
It just says 5 scenes with mocap. Not that the game only has 5 cutscenes overall.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In September if you watch NFL you will see the new Gears commercial at least 6 million times

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that they are using each month to promote different aspects of the game. E3 and June was escape or whatever , I think July was multi and August is horde? And then the last month, aka release month, is campaign.

I'm not positive if I remember right and even if I am, I still think holding campaign back this long especially after putting a big focus on it last year is a terrible idea.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Maybe it'll have less cutscenes and will be a more involved campaign instead of constantly breaking it up with story bits no one gives a shit about. (See also: half life)

or maybe the campaign will be dog shit like everything they've shown from this game so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the game will have more than 4 or 5 scenes with mocap. lol
What he said in the video is performance capture, which is capturing the facial performance, for critical moments.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It is absolutely insane and borderline concern trolling to interpret what he said in that video as "Gears 5 will only have 4-5 scenes featuring performance capture."

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've been worried since that ridiculous E3 showing. I want to remain optimistic about it all, that it's just a incredibly unusual way of marketing a game but I don't understand it at all.

After 4 I was expecting it only to get better and better when it comes to campaign. That being said, I don't think you can take anything from this when it comes to motion capture scenes though.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I hope more companies show less of their games so that it can be more of a surprise. I hate when movie studios show the whole damn movie in the trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
The video is saying: "PERFORMANCE CAPTURE", your title: "Only 4-5 scene of mocap".

Excuse me what?
Imagine thinking that an AAA game will have only 4-5 scenes of mocap in 2019.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I mean they said they only used performance capture for 4-5 scenes, not that the game has 4-5 cutscenes.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The last big single player game from MS was Gears 4 no? That's a big gap.
Crackdown 3 was in February. Not a good game, but still a big singleplayer release.

Besides that, I feel like most people subscribing to Game Pass are fairly well aware of Microsoft's short term plans at this point. High value on third-party singleplayer games (with stuff like Metro Exodus, Outer Worlds, etc), and continued support for service games.

Come the next console gen, their studios start delivering more typical AAA fare.

I don't feel like all that much weight is resting on Gears 5, TBH. It'll do strong numbers for it's multiplayer.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
if true, maybe Microsoft undercut the budget because they went with Kait as the protagonist

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Now, having watched the video ... wtf OP.

It'll have 5 scenes with performance capture instead of just motion capture. It's not even that hard to parse.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There is another big game show before it's even out. People are concern trolling pretty hard for this

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It is absolutely insane and borderline concern trolling to interpret what he said in that video as "Gears 5 will only have 4-5 scenes featuring performance capture."
I don't think there's anything "borderline" about it. This whole thread is predicated on intentionally reading this video to mean the worst case scenario, and then declaring that Gears 5 is the most vital game to Microsoft's entire Game Pass strategy.

Oct 26, 2017
Napalm_Frank this might help you:

Motion capture (sometimes referred as mo-cap or mocap, for short) is the process of recording the movement of objects or people. It is used in military, entertainment, sports, medical applications, and for validation of computer vision and robotics.In filmmaking and video game development, it refers to recording actions of human actors, and using that information to animate digital character models in 2D or 3D computer animation

This is what performance capture means:

When it includes face and fingers or captures subtle expressions, it is often referred to as performance capture. In many fields, motion capture is sometimes called motion tracking, but in filmmaking and games, motion tracking usually refers more to match moving.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I remember something similar with Halo 5 but I'm pretty sure that campaign was normal, probably just marketing reasons
Halo 5 is considered by most to be the worst in the series though.

Something is definitely off about Gears 5, at least where the campaign is concerned.

Is it possible that this entry was handled by a B-team, while Coalition's A-team are working on a Scarlett project? I remember reading Splash Damage was working on this game in some capacity, so maybe the campaign was handed off to them?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. Halo 5's beloved campaign. No need to worry.
it was one of the best halo campaigns, it wasn't lacking for mocap, and they showed a h5 campaign demo that was an accurate representation of a level at the e3 before its release.

the halo 5 hate train feels like it was very retroactive with people who forgot everything about what it was actually like to play and just fixate on the relative lack of direct control of master chief. around release there was a ton of positivity after the incoherent mess that was halo 4's campaign.

this thread seems like it's jumping the gun by a lot. that clip also doesn't seem conclusive. it definitely is odd they didn't show the campaign this year after showing so much story stuff last year, but there are a lot of possible reasons.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018

Something is definitely off about Gears 5, at least where the campaign is concerned.

Is it possible that this entry was handled by a B-team, while Coalition's A-team are working on a Scarlett project? I remember reading Splash Damage was working on this game in some capacity, so maybe the campaign was handed off to them?
Splash damage works on the multiplayer along with people from the Coalition.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Splash Damage is working on Gears Tactics as the "lead dev" with support from The Coalition offcourse. Gears 5 is made fully by the Coalition with support of Splash Damage on the MP. Think maps and future maps.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I find equating motion capture to cutscenes, budget and scale very weird. Well, not that weird because movie like games is what the big publishers have been pushing it with blockbusters.

I only have a passing interest in Gears, but I do know that the devs have been crunching very hard for many months.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The person in the video was saying there are scenes which require EXTRA emphasis on the facial/acting animation, and they found 4 to 5 moments in the story which will get that performance capture.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Concern troll is concerned. Listen, I got my fair share of worries about gears just like everyone else since we're all in the dark about this, but the graphics sure as hell ain't one em. This game could have no mocap and still look gorgeous, it's gears, when has a gears game ever looked bad? Answer is never. The graphics will be fine, plus like everyone else said there's a difference between performance capture and mocap.
Here's a quick Wikipedia explanation:

"When it includes face and fingers or captures subtle expressions, it is often referred to as performance capture. ... Whereas early techniques used images from multiple cameras to calculate 3D positions, Often the purpose of motion capture is to record only the movements of the actor, not his or her visual appearance."

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember something similar with Halo 5 but I'm pretty sure that campaign was normal, probably just marketing reasons
LMAO. If Halo 5 is any indication then Gears 5 is in for a rough time.

Honestly the fact that they have shown next to nothing is worrying enough for a game that is out in two months. That's a big red flag no matter how anyone wants to spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.