• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This is mainly ignorance from people outside the video game press sphere. If you've been following The Game Awards with any kind of awareness you'd know that nominees are selected by a jury of outlets and voted on by them as well

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
As a host and a face of the show he shouldn't put himself in a situation like this, but he chose it himself.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure most people know he doesn't vote. That's not the point of the conversation.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People have this weird hate for Geoff that I'll never get.

Aside from his questionable acquaintances, of course.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's more likely that he would use his influence to make sure DS doesn't win because of the optics of the whole thing. I don't think he would interfere either way, but if DS does win, the internet is going to be really *interesting* based on all the unfair flak he's already receiving.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The reality of bias never actually matters in the court of public opinion, only the appearance of bias does

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are so full of shit.

At this point Death Stranding has to win just for the meltdowns.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
He is both host and face of the show. It's like IGN "Too much water" review all over again. Even it legit, people will doubt it and meme it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people complaining about this probably only watch the show for trailers anyway

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately felt bad that Geoff even bothered to show up in the Reset thread about it with how toxic folks were being.

But hey, that's how it goes these days.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Geoff just want to celebrate the year, but a bunch of people end up harassing him because a good game is recieving recognition
As a host and a face of the show he shouldn't put himself in a situation like this, but he chose it himself.
What situation? You are forcing a problem that doesnt exist as he doesnt vote.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Every single game is good and deserves the spot. No reason for outrage just because your favorite game isn't there and the one yout dont like is.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine he's gonna have to do a lot of copy&paste for those tweets, but yeah, regardless, it's a weird look no matter how you look at it since he's at the center of TGA.

That's the price to pay for being so mushy with a single dev and promoting him every chance you get.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Even if he did vote, which he doesn't, DS deserves to be in there. You don't have to like it but it doesn't make it any less true. That game probably was the most impactful to the industry of any game all year and created more conversations than any game all year, good and bad. That's worth recognizing.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
People lack critical thinking skills, and jump immediately to whatever connection they can make in their heads that happens to be negative.

I mean, it's a question that can be posed, but it's clear on the site that the nominees are selected by a panel of publications, not Geoff himself. It's good to see him confirm he is not involved in the selection, though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's like saying because ABC produces and airs The Oscars, Disney films shouldn't be in the running. More ridiculous Kojima Hateboy horseshit.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to pretend that this is anything but folks upset that Death Stranding was nominated.

Fucking lawyers have more lax rules with conflicts of interest than the optics bullshit people are pulling here.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's funny people are worried about the integrity of TGA. These awards don't have any broader cultural meaning and they certainly aren't of any high status. This isn't some price of international interest. So why are people getting worked up in the first place? Gamers huh?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yes but he produces, hosts and helps fund the Game Awards. He's in a unique situation where his awards show is so heavily tied around him as a person for its branding; like if the Academy Awards were literally made by some very old guy named Oscar. As such when he himself decided to have a heavily-public personal and beneficial friendship (for both himself and Kojima) with a highly-famed auteur he was always going to harm the legitimacy of his own show.

Just to be clear I don't think the guy should be crucified (and as always anyone harassing him is an awful person) and, honestly, the work he's been doing on The Game Awards is incredible, but I think it's OK to admit that he made a mistake in optics here.

Of course lets not kid ourselves. Many people are just going to use this as another weapon in the toxic flame war that's currently going on regarding Death Stranding. That includes people who think DS should never have been nominated due to how insanely god-awful it is and people who think every single person criticising this is some rabid Kojima hater who doesn't understand true art.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I very much doubt Death Stranding will win anyway with how divisive the game is.
People sure do love conspiracy theories, even about something as arbitrary and insignificant as a videogame award.

Status
Not open for further replies.