• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

For or Against?

• Team Geoff

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Team IGN

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Click for full thread.

VxXNIeO.jpg

TmDKfjn.jpg

anBhIaG.jpg

After the great reveal of Unreal Engine 5. IGN Editors and Geoff getting into a tizzy over the article that was previously posted how "You may need to lower your expectations for next-gen"... and the results are amusing to say the least.

IGN persists that Geoff didn't read the article as they were specifically referring to titles that will be revealed in the coming months. Geoff responds back, let's reconvene after August. *mic drop*

I wouldn't bet against him, especially after seeing the realtime footage today.

Is IGN about to look foolish?

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
I think "lays the smackdown" = "marketing man disagrees with journalists for not buying the hype"

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That article was weird to begin with. It seemed like they were trying to downplay that generation jump we always see.
It's okay to be wrong IGN...

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Games will tell.

We will all feel whatever we want to feel regarding expectations.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Not really seeing the "smackdown" here. A tech demo doesn't disprove the overall point of the article.

Of course, as Geoff is hinting at, this could change over the coming months.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Both sides are doing their job. Geoff is dedicating the summer to promoting new generation consoles and IGN wrote a reactionary piece to seeing the AA games demoed last week on XSX.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Geoff, that was a tech demo. Games are never gonna look that good or they'll only get close to it by the end of the generation.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think this kind of online argument stuff is worth it, I respect Geoff's levels of hype.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff is correct to go at them. If they didn't create clickbait-y headlines, they wouldn't be holding this L.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Unless someone makes there own engine with similar capabilities, you won't see anything crazy like what UE5 can for years so....maybe that is IGN's point?

I'm sure there will be some good looking stuff coming end of the year but compare it to launch games, and it rarely shows what the systems can really do. If you see something that just blows you away compared to anything you've ever seen, then that may be a good sign for the generation.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
How many teams are going to make UE5 sing like that though? Considering that, and that this is just a demo not something that needs to become a full piece of software...I don't think you can point fingers at this piece and tbh someone of Geoff's papal stature taking shots at IGN over this just feels weird. If the piece is probably wrong across the board, consensus will bear that out soon. There's just no need.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff arguing with them seems petty, if we get games coming out in September who don't look close to that reactions will be awful.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"lays the smackdown"? Really? He making himself look like a con man while Lucy and Tom are demonstrating how he can't read an article.
And everyone who expects Cross-Gen to look like big technical jumps is just insane

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I don't like mealy mouthed opinions that people try to backtrack on later with "well I actually meant this" or "I TECHNICALLY didn't say this".... If you're going to throw your voice in the ring and voice and opinion then just say it and own it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This all seems a little silly tbh. The core premise of that article, from what I remember of it, isn't wrong to me. Not all titles we're going to get in the early life of these new consoles will look like that UE5 demo. We already know this because of Xbox's conference. Is this a problem? Not to me. Am I going to play those games and tell myself I'm playing a last gen game? No, that'd be a silly thing to do.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
this debate over the semantics of the article is the exact type of back and forth that makes the video game industry look so immature at times.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Most games are indie or lower budget.

These games aren't going to have a sudden quantum leap just because the new hardware supports new features. Just look at the Xbox multiplatform video from last week if you want an idea of what the average game will look like at first.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
IGN made a dumb reactionary article full of outs and now the real cheese is being brought to the table. Geoff is on point imo

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017
''Well if we are talking about games being revealed "over next few months" let's reconvene in August and see how we feel.... '

Time to go in to hybernation.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Whats the argument here? Cross gen games wont look that amazing at launch and that they will eventually look amazing?

Its like watching Captain Obvious argue with Dr. Evident

Status
Not open for further replies.