• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Google plans to keep 200,000 full-time and contract employees working remotely until at least July 2021, The Wall Street Journal reported. Other tech firms have announced long-term plans to keep employees working from home due to restrictions from the coronavirus pandemic, but Google would be the first to extend remote working into the middle of next year.

According to the WSJ, Sundar Pichai, the CEO of Google parent company Alphabet, made the call last week following a meeting with top company executives. A Google spokesperson told The Verge that Pichai sent an email to employees this morning announcing the plan: "To give employees the ability to plan ahead, we are extending our global voluntary work from home option through June 30, 2021 for roles that don't need to be in the office."

www.theverge.com

Google will keep employees working remotely until July 2021

Other tech firms have announced plans to keep remote working in place indefinitely.

Yeah, this isn't ending any time soon. Also from what I've heard they're certainly not the only tech company expecting this to last up into next year.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it for America. Second wave will only make it worse so why ramp up and ramp down for no real gain.

Also think all the divisions google actually gives a shit about (sorry hardware....) can function fine from home.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My large tech company employer has hinted at a similar timeframe.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The US has a very long road ahead of it before things get back to 'normal'. I found out last week that my work isn't making us go back to the office before January at the very earliest. I'll be shocked if it happens before next spring.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wild.

I work in tech and our company is remote until Sept 2020 right now, but I suspect it'll be pushed to Jan 2021 soon, especially because schools will be limited opening around here at this point, even though we're in better shape than other places.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Also in tech. My company decided last week that staff at our SF office won't be returning until 2021. Same can't be said about the branches in other states though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My company has people back in the office who can't work from home, but most are still working remotely. They were hoping for September, but they told us to plan on it being the plan for the rest of the year.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to keep getting extended until an effective vaccine is widely available.

Offices, especially open offices, are extremely dangerous right now. And even when this is all passed, office jobs will never look the same again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Our company's pushed out WFH until EOY, at least for this particular office, which makes sense, most of the teams have no need to be in the office more than a few days a week.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Fintech company here. They've already announced we won't go back before January 2021, but I can't imagine that date working given everything going on. Our execs have been seemingly following the lead of other tech firms too...so if others join in to the July date I bet we follow. At least in the US.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We are officially home until January. But they also released surveys saying most employees want to stay home, and they've made clear they're working on plans to shut down/consolidate office space so I'm not expecting to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.