• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia

www.nbcphiladelphia.com

Pa. Democrats Accuse Pa. GOP Leadership of Covering Up Lawmaker's COVID-19 Diagnosis

Some Pennsylvania Democrats are accusing House Republican leadership of covering up a fellow GOP lawmaker’s COVID-19 diagnosis.

"I just spent the better part of 11 weeks sitting across the room from people who would eventually test positive and decided not to tell us," Sims said. "They did do some kind of quarantine. They did do some kind of contact tracing. They I guess being Republican leadership."

Sims claimed he had donated a kidney in January and pointed out that Democratic Rep. Kevin Boyle has two young children, making both of them especially vulnerable.

"I know one of the members said, 'I was looking out for my family,'" Sims said. "You were exposing our families."

(House GOP Spokesman)Straub also said he was protecting Rep. Lewis' privacy.

"It also goes without saying you can't talk about a person's private medical history or conditions," Straub wrote.

"I know you guys know that in the media but HIPAA limits exactly what anyone can say about a coworker's medical history.

Other Pennsylvania Democrats reacted to the news, telling NBC10 they were never informed of Rep. Lewis' diagnosis.

"While Republicans may have been informed of Lewis testing positive for the deadly virus, and while multiple Republican members went into self-quarantine as a result, not a single Democratic lawmaker was informed, including Democratic leadership," Rep. Jason Dawkins (D-179) said.

What do you even say about this? I am at a loss.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing up HIPAA... People really don't understand HIPAA, do they? It only applies to certain types of companies/organizations. It certainly doesn't apply to individuals outside those working in those organizations.

It might be unethical (in most circumstances) for someone to tell people about a friend's medical condition, but it certainly isn't a HIPAA violation. If I work at a medical facility or insurance company and leak information about a patient (or even simply access it for myself if I have no business doing so), that is a violation.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite an ... expanded ... interpretation of HIPAA.

It's like the idiot at the grocery store who didn't want to wear a mask and started shouting that the manager was violating her HIPAA privacy by not allowing her to enter the store. Nah.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
pretty sure there would be no HIPPA violations if they just said "one of our members has tested positive"

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Republicans are terrible selfish people. Covid has definitely highlighted that fact. It doesn't matter what state they're from.

Status
Not open for further replies.