• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are urging a woman to expose the business that responded "coldly" after she texted the number that belonged to her late sister as a way to cope with her loss.

Faith Sidman (@faithsidman1) posted a screenshot of the text exchange on Wednesday with the caption, "At least I got to see her name pop up on my phone one last time." The TikTok had over 880,000 views by Thursday.
In the screenshot, Sidman texted her sister's old number on July 3 to say, "Thinking about u lots today. I love u." On July 20, she received a response that read, "You have a wrong number."

Sidman responded with an apology, explaining that her sister passed away two years ago and that she texts the number from time to time. She said she thought the number was out of service and won't text it anymore.

The number responded, "This was a business. Please stop texting."
Later in the comments, Sidman shared that she has been texting her sister's number since the day her sister passed. Sidman said she didn't know "the number would unexpectedly be given to someone new."
"[The text reply] was really hard to see," Sidman told the Daily Dot via TikTok DM. "After losing my sister I was devastated and I had a hard time accepting she was gone, but it was a nice release to be able to text her number as if she was still here. After getting that text it just made her being gone feel even more real, and the person being completely unsympathetic didn't help."

She added: "I don't think it's necessary to expose the business because although unmoral, they were right. It isn't her number anymore. I also don't feel comfortable releasing the number for the same reason but also because even though it isn't, to me it still feels like that is her number."

More at:
www.dailydot.com

'Time for them to go out of business': TikToker regularly texts deceased sister. Then a business 'coldly' responds

'At least I got to see her name pop up on my phone one last time.'

Lock if old

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not the businesses fault really but I do feel bad for her. Trying to find a way to cope with a loss like that can be difficult. People urging her to go after this business are ridiculous though. Nobody there had anyway of knowing her situation.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Of course there's an online mob ready to go to punish the horrific crime of…telling someone they have the wrong number.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I…don't really think the response from the company was cold. I feel bad for the lady finding a way to cope with the loss, though. Maybe she should try writing her letters instead?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second reply was cold but not worth an internet mob...

How sad.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Imagine getting an internet mob on you just because you told a lady they had the wrong number.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's cold, and I feel bad for her, but goddamn social media can be terrifying huh

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The final text from the business was unnecessary given she apologised and said she wouldn't text again, but that should be the end of the story there. Luckily she obviously understands that too but just wanted an outlet for her sadness over it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If the sister died like 2 weeks ago and the number was given to a businesses that acted coldly I'd get it. 2 years on not to say the living sister can't still grieve the loss, but I don't think the business needs to be sympathetic to her.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On one hand after her explanation they could have dealt with it with more sympathy, on the other hand she is lucky it remained out of service so long and it is kind of crazy to think the number would never go out again. Final Judgement nothing to see here, neither did anything wrong but the business if they hadn't just been heartless is actually more understandable to me.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
They could have just said 'sorry for your loss' after her apology text. That apology suggests she wouldn't be texting them again, and a little bit of sympathy would have been, you know, the human thing to do.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Like. The business isn't "wrong" here, and no one should be mobbing them, but whoever responded on its behalf is a grade-A asshole. If a grieving family member inadvertently texts your business and your response after a full explanation is a straight "this is a business. Stop texting," you can kind of get fucked.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but yeah she can't just keep texting the number.

I don't particularly mind the mob because that really wasn't a great response to her apology

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
internet would probably react better if the responses received were something like I'm heartbroken to hear that. I think I read a similar story before years ago but the person that time responded much more favorably.

if the mob does find out what this business is oh well lol 😂

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Very sad for the person in question, and whoever messaged back should have been more sensitive in their response after her apology. I understand the feeling and loss of connection this person is going through, as I lost my sister a couple of years back, and for a time I often went back over our messages, although I never added to them. A pity the number was reassigned, but they always are.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot believe this made the news

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Second response wasn't great, but probably not worth exposing over. Surprised the business didn't just block the number and move on

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It would have been great if after learning about the sister thing, the business would have replied in a kind and sympathetic way. At the same time.. .wrong number or spamy bullshit texts also come across the same way so its easy to reply to any strange text in at best a "cold" way.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Like. The business isn't "wrong" here, and no one should be mobbing them, but whoever responded on its behalf is a grade-A asshole. If a grieving family member inadvertently texts your business and your response after a full explanation is a straight "this is a business. Stop texting," you can kind of get fucked.

Yep, not answering would be better than this

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Of course there's an online mob ready to go to punish the horrific crime of…telling someone they have the wrong number.
If that's where it had ended, that would have been fine. They could have just NOT responded to the "sorry" message and been done with it. They went out of their way to be an asshole about it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with people that they want to destroy some business over a pretty harmless text for a wrong number essentially?

I came into this thread expecting the business to try and profit from her sisters death or just saying something incredibly distasteful. This is literally nothing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand why this is even newsworthy. Social media has made things so fucking weird. Feels sometimes like it exists to get people to pick sides in things that don't concern them. I can't imagine giving any sort of shit about this.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, everyone's gotta know these numbers get re-used eventually, right? There's only so many numbers in the world.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The business really is stupid and the person who responded an absolute inhumane idiot, considering you can just block the number and never see it ever again. There was no need to respond, and the way they responded deserve some shame considering the woman said she wasn't going to text again.

But all they're guilty of here is being a dick showing no sympathy on a text message about saying a number was no longer in use. No need to go all twitter mob on them.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It definitely was a very poor way of handling it but I don't think there needs to be a campaign against them.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling some internet detective is going to uncover the phone number somehow.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Surprised by a lot of the responses here considering how texting or leaving voicemails to the deceased is a very commonplace way of dealing with loss. The business was not wrong to tell her the number had been reissued but the coldness of the replies is really antisocial.

Of course this does not warrant any sort of retaliation, let alone from a mob of internet soldiers, but I think the replies from the business are very cruel.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Good ol' internet mob justice incited by social media stars.

When they turn up at the business doorstep to tear it down and its clear English perhaps isn't their first language, what then?! "Wait, are we... hate-criming right now?!"

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
takes two seconds to block. i'm not even sure why people go the extra step to respond in any other way aside from informing.

The woman is obviously grieving and it's hard, but imagine you get a brand new phone and you're getting texted everyday by someone in this matter

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm sorry for the woman's loss, but did she really think that her sister's number would not go to someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.