• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
The new dev blog dropped today (on a different site than usual, in case you look in the wrong spot). The "blog" part of it gives character bios and a few paragraphs of developer commentary for Giovanna and Nagoriyuki. The Q&A is pretty much 6 questions about the new lobby/match-queueing system and 1 about console-PC crossplay. I'll quote the most interesting answers to me below.

Q5. What are the plans to ensure people can match AND rematch as quickly as possible after booting up the game?

A. It's possible to wait for a match in Training Mode under certain conditions set by the player, going from the main menu without having to enter the Lobby Screen.
After the next match, players return to Training Mode without a loading screen, making it possible to begin searching for their next opponent quickly. This means that players who want to get in as many matches as possible, as well as those who don't enjoy moving around in lobbies, can use this feature to play stress-free.
Getting confirmation of queueing for matches from Training Mode is great news for me, I always lab stuff between games and after playing Tekken 7 last night and not being able to lab anything between games without losing my queue, I am very happy to hear other games won't be making that same mistake.

Q6. l am curious about the lobby system. Xrd's lobbies as well as those in other ASW games had miniature arcade cabinets and battle kiosks to organize players into separate areas and allow them to identify whether or not a match is going on. However, Strive's lobby moved away from the kiosks and allowed players to begin matches wherever they wanted. This unfortunately resulted in large crowds forming in a single area to the point where no one could tell who matched up with who during the closed beta testing event. May | ask what was the idea behind allowing players to freely match up anywhere?

A. We've had the idea of letting players match freely by coming into contact with other battle-ready players, without using something like an arcade cabinet, even while making prior games.
However, as I'm sure you all know, during the closed beta test, this caused many issues and it was difficult to initiate matches as a result.
We'd like to apologize once more for this.
We've reworked the system after the closed beta test, and currently battle-ready players move to a fixed position in the area.
You'll be able to see how it works during the next beta test.
I didn't try the Strive beta, but I heard not being able to tell who you were going to fight in a big crowd was a huge issue, so seeing this will be changed into a designated battle area is a nice change.

Q7. We know that Strive will have crossplay between PS4 and PSS5, but we don't know whether PC will join in to create a unified playerbase. Members of ASW have stated that they want crossplay to become a standard going forward, so what is Team Red's feeling and current situation on PC/PlayStation crossplay in terms of Strive?

A. We've received a lot of requests from the players regarding implementing crossplay between the PC and console versions.
However, there are many problems that need to be overcome before it can be added to the game. At this time, we've decided not to implement crossplay on release.
We are, however, looking into implementing it in the future. | hope you can support the game as we work towards crossplay implementation.
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Obviously this isn't a hard confirmation of anything, and they say outright it won't be coming at launch (the game launches in 5 months, which seems like a short amount of time but I wouldn't imagine such a feature would take too long to implement), but nagging them about it may have worked again and if that means we get crossplay a few months after launch, then that's a massive win and would make this only the second major fighting game to feature both rollback netcode and crossplay between console and PC (the first being Street Fighter V). This news brought my interest in the game from hesitant purchase to almost definite buy, depending on if they talk more about the feature closer to launch.

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
not sure which is worse, the fact that people are excited for being told to buy the product before it's feature complete in hopes that maybe it becomes feature complete in the future, or op posting this without searching for other threads first
I believe there is a thread about this topic that was posted a couple hours ago.
I thought it was big enough news to be on the front page but didn't find it, rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.