• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: JK Rowling is a terrible person and don't engage with the property if you don't want to support her terrible views.

That said, my theatrical interests are overtaking that part of my brain for the time being because this is an interesting event.

www.playbill.com

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Will Reopen on Broadway as One Show | Playbill

The Tony- and Olivier-winning play was originally presented in two parts; the newly staged version is also heading elsewhere in North America.

The Tony- and Olivier Award winning Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will reopen on Broadway and elsewhere in North America after undergoing a slight reducio charm. Once the show returns from its coronavirus hiatus, it will be presented as one show instead of in two parts. Playwright Jack Thorne and director John Tiffany, who conceived the story with original series author J.K. Rowling, say they have been at work on the condensed version as theatres remained dark.

The newly staged version will begin November 16 at the Lyric Theatre. Meanwhile, performances at the Curran in San Francisco will begin January 11, 2022, with the Canadian premiere taking up the Ed Mirvish Theatre in Toronto in May.

deadline.com

Reimagined ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’ To Premiere Four Days Early On Broadway – Update

Reimagined 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' To Premiere On Broadway In November

The reimagining takes into account "the challenges of remounting and running a two-part show in the U.S. on the scale of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and the commercial challenges faced by the theatre and tourism industries emerging from the global shutdowns," said a statement from the production. "We are excited to be able to move forward with a new version of the play that allows audiences to enjoy the complete Cursed Child adventure in one sitting eight times a week."

A two-part show is basically what it sounds like: showings rotate between two halves of the story, and if you want to see the full thing, you need to buy two tickets and see the show twice.

It's not often used in theatre (Angels in America is the other big example) and honestly always felt a little out of place with Harry Potter, and audiences seem to have somewhat agreed:

The Broadway production (a costly one, capitalized at over $35 million plus a $33 million renovation of the theatre) quickly became a hot ticket and a box office frontrunner upon opening in spring 2018. While capacity remained around 100 percent, the weekly gross eventually waned as the average ticket price dipped below $100. One potential factor: the two-part structure of the show, creating a time commitment twice that (or longer, even) of most family-friendly theatre offerings. Still, the omnipresent lure of the Wizarding World helped the show secure the title of highest grossing non-musical play less than a year after opening.

The European productions are staying as two parts for the time being.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wasn't just being dismissive by the way - I've seen the production and it's terrible.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
There are literally libraries better fanfic you could be reading for free. Or listening to, if that's your thing.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it some years ago. Production value is amazing, but the story is really really bad. It is indulgent like a bad fanfiction.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who gives a shit? Strong "I support trans people until it conflicts with my entertainment interests and then my interests come first" vibes.

Supporting this is still giving money to one of the prime figureheads of the anti-trans movement that is sweeping America and the U.K. It being an "interesting occurrence in theater" doesn't change that fact or absolve anyone that participates.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard the stage production is pretty good even though the story is shit, but I'll never know. Fuck terfs.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Who gives a shit? Strong "I support trans people until it conflicts with my entertainment interests and then my interests come first" vibes.

Supporting this is still giving money to one of the prime figureheads of the anti-trans movement that is sweeping America and the U.K. It being an "interesting occurrence in theater" doesn't change that fact or absolve anyone that participates.

Is my ticket receipt in the OP?

If the discussion wants to trend towards warning people not to see the show or engage with Harry Potter and JK Rowling then that's fine.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say it's fairly noteworthy in the theater scene. I completely understand why you would boycott it though.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Had tickets for this in SF and was very excited for it but the show was for April 2020 and it was canceled due to covid and then JK spent the last year showing who she really is and so now I think I will just skip it. Sad all around.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is my ticket receipt in the OP?

If the discussion wants to trend towards warning people not to see the show or engage with Harry Potter and JK Rowling then that's fine.
I don't see the point at all, it's giving her free publicity. I would think all the other threads about her, and lack of threads on the videogame (especially after the concerns of the trans community and the Cyberpunk debacle) would be enough of a read the room to realize even posting this is pretty offensive to certain people. She is literally destroying lives so making a thread with "it's okay if it trends against her" to talk about theater she will profit off is still kind of insulting.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point at all, it's giving her free publicity. I would think all the other threads about her, and lack of threads on the videogame (especially after the concerns of the trans community and the Cyberpunk debacle) would be enough of a read the room to realize even posting this is pretty offensive to certain people. She is literally destroying lives so no making a thread with "it's okay if it trends against her" to talk about theater she will profit off is still kind of insulting.

My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.