• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Microsoft buying Bethesda changed your next-gen console purchasing decision at all?

• YES - I wasn't buying an Xbox Series S/X, but now I am

Votes: 63 12.3%
  • YES - I was buying an Xbox Series S/X, and now I'm not

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • NO - I was already buying an Xbox Series S/X and I still am

Votes: 174 34.0%
  • NO - I wasn't buying an Xbox Series S/X, and I'm still not buying one

Votes: 274 53.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
After today's news that Microsoft has purchased Bethesda / ZeniMax Media and all of their studios, has this influenced your next-gen purchasing decision at all?

All Bethesda games will now be available day one on Game Pass for Xbox Series S/X and PC.

Personally, the Game Pass news is fantastic for me as a subscriber. With the rising cost of games this generation, it will mean I make Xbox my main platform.

However, Sony still has multiple exclusives that I want to play, so I was always going to buy both consoles at some point this generation.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, was always planning PS5 and Series S. I will likely play Bethesda games on Xbox though (if I'm even given a choice).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
100%

Picking up a Series S down the line. Game Pass is too enticing and will continue to be. I'm not dropping £70 on games lmao.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I don't care too much about Bethesda. But PS5 will still be my main next gen console, and I was leaning towards getting an S reguardless.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I already got my PS5 DE preordered and was thinking about trading in my One X towards a Series S.
After today, I'll change my plans and will buy a Series X next year (PS5 will still be a Day One purchase).

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yes. It made me go from probably to definitely when it comes to buying a Series X.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, I already planned to buy both. I now just feel more confident in my series x purchase.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I only care about a couple Bethesda games, and I can still play them on PC.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I was always planning on getting a series X a couple years down the line, that hasn't changed but I sure feel better about it now.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Until I see a solid amount of interesting games on either system, I am not making any purchase of a next-gen console for now.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I already planned on eventually getting a Series S, but this news has guaranteed that I go through with it. Still likely not within the first two years.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No, Ghostwire: Tokyo will be the first Bethesda title I purchase since Fallout 4. And I played Fallout 4 for like two hours.

Also I have a PC.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
Was getting PS5 and continuing on with PC regardless, but it makes that 15 dollars PC price easier to justify.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy XSS in a year or two lmao, Starfield won't appear overnight.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'll get a ps5 . The only thing remotely I was interested in from Bethesda was another evil within. But the new RE games have been better so I'll stick with them.

Oct 25, 2017
My plan for next gen was already PC main, PS5 for the niche stuff that won't get a PC release, Switch for Switch things. I've preloaded a couple years of GamePass.

This doesn't change that at all, aside from making those pre-bought GamePass years look like an even better decision. If MS were to start announcing some of their new titles as console-only it'd be time to reconsider, but as is this doesn't really move the needle on anything I was going to do otherwise.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nope. I've got a PC. I'll keep my PS5 order in. I'm more likely to pick up a XSX at some point for the hell of it now, though.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think so, I'm maybe more partial to an Xbox instead of a PC after PS5, but Xbox's lack of presence where I'm from makes that unlikely.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, PC and PS5 is still (IMO) the optimal choice.

It does, however, make me worried for the industry going forward if independent publishers are snapped up by platform holders in an acquisitions arms race.

The industry needs independent publishers like EA, Ubi, Acti and Bethesda to stay independent, or we risk monopolies by consolidation and eventual stagnation of ideas.

Whatever about independent studios, but buying up publishers like this is outright bad for the industry. Look beyond console wars.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Nope, I have a PC, it was always going to be a PS5 that I purchase unless MSFT did something insane with the price of the Xbox ( I'm mainly buying a console to properly play sports games and exclusives).

I play skyrim daily on PC with 949 mods currently and I also play a ton of fallout 4 with mods as well, mods on PC are superior to that of the consoles plus with automated installs via Wabbajack, Bethesda being sold to MSFT really doesn't impact anything for me.

Hopefully they kill the bethesda launcher so I might actually purchase future games from bethesda...

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No, I am still getting a PS5 as my primary and an XSX as a Gamepass machine, I hate that the acquisition happened though even though I will have the box that will play the games. I am always cool with smaller studios that need help getting acquired but something like Zenimax? Nah, screw that noise.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I also game on a PC, so barring some wild twist of their games being Xbox exclusive, the acquisition doesn't seem to impact me directly.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Honestly as mostly a console player it has, I was going to buy one either at launch or eventually but now this and the all access program I might just get one that way. Having Bethesda's games on games pass is a big bonus.

davshoward

Nov 3, 2017
No - but only as the effects of this deal won't be felt for years. If Bethesda games go exclusive then probably would increase the chances of picking up an Xbox Series S/X down the line.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an Xbox One X this year. I am expecting to get 2 or so years out of it. Now I'm way more likely to get a Series X if games like Starfield are exclusive. So it made me more likely to get one sooner.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
No, I have a PC and haven't bought a Besthesda game since Fallout 4, which was probably my least favourite purchase in the current gen. Having said that, definitely keeping my eye on Ghostwire Tokyo.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
No. There's only a handful of title on Gamepass I wanna play (Ori 2 and Wastelands 3) I usually don't buy Bethesda game besides Doom. I find modern fallout and elder scroll mediocre game I'll be there with that obsidian rpg on pillars of eternity world.

Way not enough game for right now compared to PS5 for me. I'll prolly grab one in the late future.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing in Bethesda's wheelhouse that I am remotely interested in is Doom and I wouldn't want to play newer Doom on anything but a PC anyway. They can take their WRPGs and keep them, thanks.

OP
OP
PaulLFC

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
100%

Picking up a Series S down the line. Game Pass is too enticing and will continue to be. I'm not dropping $70 on games lmao.
Same here. £70 games are just too expensive when that won't include all content in season passes etc. I'll play Microsoft and Bethesda games on Game Pass, rent games, and buy them on sale.

Outside of the launch period and a select very few games I absolutely want to play at launch, I can't see myself spending £70 per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.