• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking for the best deals on Demons Souls to pick up with my PS5 and its £70 everywhere. That's double what I paid for Shadowfall at the PS4 launch.

Seems like its being completely ignored in the hype of next gen both here on Era and also by all media outlets in a similar kind of way that the PS Plus requirement for multiplayer did last gen. Sony is putting out some incredible software but this ridiculous price hike is just too much (and all while they are making more profit than ever from their gaming division). Basically going to be left playing Astro Bot and PS4 games until PS5 games hit the second market. How do others feel about this? Why has everyone been so quick to accept this as the new normal? And am I part of the problem? I'm buying a PS5 but there is no way on earth I'll be buying anything new if their prices remain so abhorrent. Are others in the same boat?

Last edited:

Interrobang

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Demon's Souls for full price because holy shit Demon's Souls, but that's the last game I pay $70 for.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I wonder if the price increase will push people back to physical and trading in/selling their games?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They didn't double prices tho
Maybe not in the US. OP is in the UK, and prices have damn near doubled here in Australia, too. From consistent $69 launch games to $124 in some cases.

I think you forgot to factor in inflation since 2006 when game prices last changed

I think you forgot to factor in that wages haven't increased at the same rate. Or that the audience for gaming has grown considerably, meaning publishers can make more money selling to bigger audiences. Or that they've also come up with other means of making money from games, often with predatory practices. Or that digital sales now make up at least half of all games sold, which is a much better margin for them than bricks & mortar. And that all of these publishers are posting record profits pretty much every year.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's been decades since my last math classes, but "almost doubling" sure did have a different meaning then.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the lack of HDD options for PS5 games to be more egregious tbh. But £70 a game isn't something I can get used to, that definitely stings. I'd have thought the disk based games would be cheaper though no?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$60 USD -> $70 USD. Pretty sure that's not double.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Hmmmmm?
If you don't see the value in these games and their costs don't buy them. I certainly think paying $70 for demons souls is worth the money. It's a game I'll put over 200 hours into, it connects me socially to millions of other people, it's a technical marvel and I find a lot of value in it.
So I guess I'm letting Sony get away with it.

I certainly won't be paying full price for everything.

also maybe this should be targeted towards other markets outside US. Literally only went up $10 for us in the states.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I believe Shadowfall was £52.99/€59.99 MSRP at launch. Just FYI.

blog.playstation.com

Here are your PS4 day one launch titles

Finally, the week we've all been waiting for. The arrival of PlayStation 4 is imminent and the excitement levels here are through the roof. There are some gamers out there taking time off from work and school children wishing they could stay home (I do not advocate this). There may even be...

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
If you'd like to send them a message then don't buy their games until they're on sale

They'll only "get away with it" if you let them, so I hope you do something about it and don't just stop at complaining on an online message board

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until they're at prices you find comfortable. I haven't seen jack shit that's worth $70, and that's before we consider a lot of these games will have season passes and further monetization models...

We all probably have some backlog of some sort. No big deal. We're in the middle of a pandemic and if you're in America, you're in a depression. Games can wait.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Every new generation sees this same stupid complaint, that games go up in price. And every generation, long about 4 years in or so, mid-budget gaming returns as the new consoles become cheaper to develop for and get enough userbase to justify a greater mix of games.

And far too many people forget that SNES and Genesis cartridges ran $60.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it was. It was their showpiece launch title, maybe you are misremembering

If Killzone was 35 pounds on the UK, then it was 40 euros here. That's been the difference always and that's nowhere close the full priced games (69.99€).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't really understand the price hike specifically for Demon's Souls either. Is it because it's not a cross-gen game like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy? Those games are published by Sony too but they're not $70.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every new generation sees this same stupid complaint, that games go up in price. And every generation, long about 4 years in or so, mid-budget gaming returns as the new consoles become cheaper to develop for and get enough userbase to justify a greater mix of games.

And far too many people forget that SNES and Genesis cartridges ran $60.
Then Sony came along and showed us £35 games instead of £60 ones.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Sony confirmed to be anti-consumer? /s

OP at least now you know how Nintendo fans feel like lol

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I know it's not comparable 1:1, but I bought Demons Souls for PS3 day of release for £30.

Obviously the hype right now is huge, so give it a year and we'll see how comfortable people are at paying £70 for each new game. I certainly won't be buying anything for that price.

Watch Dogs Legion is £35 in the UK just now for the disc version, which is half the price of a first party title. It is insane when looking it like that.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The pound sterling was also far stronger in 2013 pre Brexit than it is now. I believe Sony developed games where £45 digital which ended up going to about £55 digitally before before the end of the generation.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Anyway, to answer the question OP - I'm sucking it up for launch, but I'm not going to be buying games Day 1 anymore, even if they eventually settle at ~$90 AUD.

I just don't see games as a good value at that price.

$60 USD -> $70 USD. Pretty sure that's not double.
Not reading the OP and therefore not understanding -> Reading the OP and understanding

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah, OP is just comparing some special pricing vs full priced this time + inflation. It's a 10$/£/€ increase, not 50%.
This is what I'm wondering about. I'm wondering where OP got Killzone for £35 in the first place. It certainly wasn't directly from Sony. Sony was asking £52.99 for KZ at the PS4 launch and now they're asking £69.99 for Demon's Souls at the PS5 launch. That isn't double. I don't know why they're not blaming whatever retailer they were getting shit for cheap from before

Status
Not open for further replies.