• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever felt intimidated by opinions on ERA, to the point you wouldnt dare voicing yours?

• I always voice my opinion on ERA no matter what

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I am sometimes intimidated or afraid to voice my opinion

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • I often decide to not state my opinion

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • It is not that I am afraid, I just feel it can be exhausting to argue in hot topics

Votes: 32 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
This is something must plead guilty to. KThere are times where I don't dare to say something, even if I do not completely agree/disagree because I have the feeling people are angry when they type. This is not specific to ERA, but that also happens on Reddit,etc, in those threads that quickly generate tons of opinions and things can go hot quickly, and I have a "dont wake the dragon" feeling. Sometimes people can feel antagonized easily , take things at a personal level,etc. I was wondering if it had ever happened to you here, on ERA.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I quite often decide not to voice my opinion, I understand I am from a different era (pun intended) from many of the posters on here, so I am probably not quite as progressive as those of younger years..

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
In political era, it can really be a dog piling match, so while many times i am unafraid to broach topics i feel strongly about, other times it can just be not worth the effort to engage, especially with viewpoints i think are so unreasonable out there that clearly are not on the side of logical reasoning.

I dont want to come off as an "era is so hive mindy" type at all, but there's definitely some areas i have to be more careful when it comes to my own personal views.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
No point in stating your opinion in or on some topics, because you'll get dog piled and often ban baited in hot topics you don't necessarily agree with.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I don't have the patience anymore to argue a lot of things. There could be something that I deal with every day and some idiot spewing hot takes about it here, where they clearly don't know what they're talking about, but I'm more likely than ever to just say fuck it and not even bother writing out a post. It's not worth my time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The last one for sure. The amount of time I start writing a post, and then stop and think "is this really worth my time, energy, and effort?" is pretty hilarious. Sometimes by bad judgment still gets the best of me and I'll wade into a petty debate that serves absolutely no point whatsoever, and neither party will "win", but I'm better than I used to be for sure.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I have no fear of strangers on the internet. I only have a fear writing something that the world can see and reflects poorly. My mother told me when we got Netscape to never say anything online that you wouldn't want your boss to see. I still try to follow this.

minsk

Jan 28, 2019
This place seems angrier, more negative, and more prone to conclusion-jumping and dogpiling than average even for an internet forum, so I think this is certainly a problem. Personally, I don't feel intimidated, but in many instances, I don't particularly feel like dealing with angry responses, which is why I rarely post.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's exhausting and difficult to argue your point in a delayed conversation with 4 different people at the same time. If I say something and leave, and come back to 12 notifications, I let out a long sigh

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
It is discouraging to write up a heartfelt response to a topic and see it get immediately buried under 100 post variations of "Fuck <insert who we're angry about today>". With hot threads here on EtcetEra, I usually just read the OP and immediately skip to page 4+ just to jump past all the pointless hot take posts.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering some of the silly bans that I've seen from what I would call innocent comments, there are absolutely certain topics that I will stay the fuck away from.

Oct 29, 2017
Intimidated? Uh, by what? randos on the interwebs? There are many times I dont post my opinions but its more along the lines of "whats the point?"

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Not scared at all.

I'll post my opinion if I feel like it. Sometimes it will rustle some jimmies. Other times not.

Doesn't maybe to me either way

EDIT: On GAF back in day, I had a few people send me screenshots of certain groups' Discord chats taking about me. Same with the old GAF moderator forum.

Didn't change how I posted at all.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt intimidated about posting my opinion on anything, here or at past versions of here.

Really, nobody should ever feel like they can't post what they want...but you wouldn't feel like that if you also accepted that people are going to expect that you've got credible receipts for what you're posting (where applicable) or are free to say whatever they want about your see a doctor/feed it pizza/go to the gym weekend era style posts.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can't say that I'm ever afraid to voice an opinion, but definitely refrain at times because it may be exhausting to deal with responses. I try to spend a lot of time wording my opinions and responses, which can be especially hard to do with complex or serious issues, which is just tiring in itself to find the right words and framing so my thoughts are presented clearly and accurately. And that's 10x more difficult if I'm then trying to respond to more than one person in a timely fashion.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have the patience or energy to get in to rows on an internet forum of all places, there's enough problems in the real world, so there are a lot of times where I would have posted but choose not to to save the wasted energy. I'm not intimidated by people being aggressive or rude, if someone replies like that to me they just go on the ignore list.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
In terms of video games, no. I think people here love to be kinda contrarian. Me included lol. I don't think video game opinions are shut out, now opinions on everything else...

...anyone who is being honest can see this is a "safe space" and not an open one. With full on bans for different opinions.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like posting here, and having friends here, this place is a super hive mind. Sometimes, I just don't bother voicing an opposing opinion just because I won't want to be jumped on for not going with the flow or pissing off the wrong admin. Same as the previous site.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm not intimidated by opinions, I'm intimidated by bans. I hold zero hate I my heart and live everyday to help others, literally, and have been pushed around on this and the last site so much, it's just not worth it for me to tell people how I feel anymore. Once it's obvious the internet mob is against me, despite being right or wrong, I button it up. I'm not afraid of peoples thoughts though, I just want to keep being able to partake in this community, even if extremely censored. I really really like video games a lot.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
We often discourage meta-threads like this as they quickly descend in to unproductive community-whining. This thread is not starting out any different, so this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.