• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 31 19.7%
  • No (please state your reasoning)

Votes: 126 80.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
There are millions of kids out there without home and desperately needs help, world population is growing exponentially. We are just like every other animals, the idea of reproduction is for survival but humans are not on a verge of extinction. Yet, very few people will adopt a child because they want something that's biologically their own?

Same thing with pets, i love dogs but i just find the idea of buying a dog from a breeder when there are so many in shelters immoral. Why do people do that? just because its new?

I am aware this is a very hot take on this subject but i am genuinely interested to hear the other side of the argument. Its okay to be selfish, as long as people except what it is.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People buy from breeders because they want a specific breed. Kinda hard to find anything besides mutts in a shelter.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Having a child whether it's your own or adopted is pretty selfless since you're pretty much giving up a large amount of your free time, money, etc. to care for another human. Once you have a child your life is then dedicated to that child. It's no longer about you anymore.

I do agree that people should adopt slightly older and/or needy animals at shelters rather than going for the cute little kitten from the expensive breeder.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
People buy from breeders because they want a specific breed. Kinda hard to find anything besides mutts in a shelter.

Pretty much.

Also adoption is a little different then how OP is painting it. Most people want babies, which are in short supply. The ones who need adoption in solid healthy families the most are younger kids, who are often left on the wayside as people don't think, or more likely don't want, to raise someone already heading towards adolescence.

IMO - you should adopt from a shelter, but I get why people go to breeders.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

I mean, according to this site, if I adopt a pitbull, I'm putting other people, dogs and my own children in danger.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Having a child whether it's your own or adopted is pretty selfless since you're pretty much giving up a large amount of your free time, money, etc. to care for another human. Once you have a child your life is then dedicated to that child. It's no longer about you anymore.

In theory, yes.

Though having worked in and for some households with multiple au pairs, I'd stress that it's all about the environment. Some of those houses treated their kids like roommates more than children.

giphy.webp

I mean, according to this site, if I adopt a pitbull, I'm putting other people, dogs and my own children in danger.

"Adopt from shelters or you're amoral! But not that one, or that one, or that one, or that one..."

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's absurd that OP lumps in having a biological child with going to a dog breeder. They're very different in literally every single way.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are millions of kids out there without home and desperately needs help, world population is growing exponentially. We are just like every other animals, the idea of reproduction is for survival but humans are not on a verge of extinction. Yet, very few people will adopt a child because they want something that's biologically their own?

Same thing with pets, i love dogs but i just find the idea of buying a dog from a breeder when there are so many in shelters immoral. Why do people do that? just because its new?

I am aware this is a very hot take on this subject but i am genuinely interested to hear the other side of the argument. Its okay to be selfish, as long as people except what it is.

Alright Rafiki....

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends on where you're from. There are rescues that're dedicated to specific breeds in the San Francisco Bay Area, for example.

In either case, I don't think it's selfish to go to a breeder in general, but I do question the logic of getting certain breeds from breeders. If you want a Chihuahua or some sort of Pit Bull, for example, then you should get it from a rescue or shelter, in my opinion. Also, if you get a dog of one of those breeds elsewhere, then you should spay/neuter it. I hate it when people who own Pit Bulls insist on wanting to breed them, as if there aren't already so many Pit Bulls in shelters in need of a home.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
There are millions of kids out there without home and desperately needs help, world population is growing exponentially.
Population growth rates have been declining for decades.
I know right?

The world population is not growing exponentially...it weird how people just make up stuff with any facts and large groups of people just run with it. Also, adoption is extremely expensive and difficult, even in your own country. Adopting from another country is even harder.

A when you say "how dare someone want a kid with shared DNA and lineage" you should like some loner dude that never talks to people. Like...that's almost robotic to say something like that. Not to mention that most kids are created "by accident" and aren't planned.

Not to mention the phrase "same thing with pets"...like really? The mentality of adopting a pet isn't even close to adopting a child. Anyone that raises a kid the best they can, biologically or otherwise, is amazing.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lumping in kids with pets together is a terribly short-sighted argument. Also, clearly OP has 0 experience with the process of adoption/adoption agencies in general.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The predicate your argument is built on is false; world population isn't growing exponentially nor are you able to simply adopt the worst in need.

Dec 22, 2017
The nihilism posing as wokeness on this site is approaching parody. We're not far from people arguing that suicide is the only "non-selfish" option.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
There's a ton of structural, financial, and cultural barriers to adoption. the comparison to pets is asinine.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
The adoption process is long and complicated.

And while yes, it would be ideal to adopt from shelters sometimes you want a specific breed. Different breeds have different temperaments.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adopting a kid can cost tens of thousands of dollars. There are many people out there who can afford the day to day costs associated with raising a child, but don't have up to 50k to plop down up front for one.

That aside, I think you'd need to be a robot or something to not understand why people would want their own biological children.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
My wife and I bought from a Samoyed breeder because we really wanted a samoyed and they are a rare breed to have in Canada

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I've always adopted my pets, but people will generally buy a puppy if they want a particular breed. It's not really selfish, just not selfless.

The fact that you lump children in with pets as well is fucking galling. Giving up your life to raise any child is absolutely not selfish, and birth rates have been declining in general for decades. Plus, I don't know what country you live in OP, but the Adoption process here is a fucking nightmare to the point that I'd only consider it if my wife and I were unable to conceive, in spite of the fact I don't have a huge need for my children to be genetically related to me.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I at least respect you're aware enough to not have kids yourself because thoughts like that show a lack of maturity.

And it's always funny how nerds on the internet cry about people having kids from a resource angle, but then have multiples of every electronic.

They won't budge an inch on their wasteful gadget lifestyle but demand everyone else, especially those in third world countries to change.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
Good job lumping in kids with dogs.

they are two different things, you can agree with one and not the other.

Adopting a kid can cost tens of thousands of dollars. There are many people out there who can afford the day to day costs associated with raising a child, but don't have up to 50k to plop down up front for one.

That aside, I think you'd need to be a robot or something to not understand why people would want their own biological children.

I am not even arguing about why people wouldn't want their own child. I am saying its selfish act. You can have something and be selfish, its perfectly fine.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Do people know that adoption isn't exactly easy? It's expensive and time consuming. You don't just go down the street and pick out a child.
Are you saying you cant just walk up to the orphanage, drop $50 and walk out with a kid? I dont think I believe you. It's "adoption" just like getting a pet from a shelter. It has to be the same process or they couldnt call it "adoption". Duh.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I am not even arguing about why people wouldn't want their own child. I am saying its selfish act. You can have something and be selfish, its perfectly fine.

You haven't explained how it is selfish though.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
By your logic, OP you should donate all of your extra money to starving children. Keep any spear money to yourself is selfish.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Raising a kid means dedicating a lot of your life to that kid.

If people choose to do that, most would understandably want to do that with someone that they have a personal connection to rather than a stranger.

That's not even counting all the hoops you have to jump through to adopt.

And comparing kids to dogs? What?
The nihilism posing as wokeness on this site is approaching parody. We're not far from people arguing that suicide is the only "non-selfish" option.
I've seen the odd post suggesting genocide as a solution for overpopulation or climate change or something, and it's fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Adopting a child is a quantifiably bigger commitment than having a child of your own. You don't have the luxury of shaping their earliest years to help them acclimatise to your way of living; you don't have the biological bond to increase the odds that you'll love them unconditionally; they have the right in their teenage years to know that you're not their biological parent. And that's just a few of the challenges.

I admire people who adopt, and I know several people who have, but it's definitely not for everyone. Adopting is a pretty selfless thing to do, no argument, but that doesn't mean that anyone who wants to have their own child is selfish. There's a lot more to this picture.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Your poll is a yes/no question lmao

And it's always funny how nerds on the internet cry about people having kids from a resource angle, but then have multiples of every electronic.

They won't budge an inch on their wasteful gadget lifestyle but demand everyone else, especially those in third world countries to change.

Having a kid is a much bigger contribution to your carbon footprint. See:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, adoption isn't on the same plane as getting a dog from the shelter

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
I at least respect you're aware enough to not have kids yourself because thoughts like that show a lack of maturity.

Sorry to break it to you, but I am going to have kids lol. And I am fully aware its still bit selfish, but i try to donate as much as i can to orphanage

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what's with the attacks on parenthood lately? Fucking weird stuff.

Yes more people should adopt. Personally I'm leaning toward that if my wife and I want another child. But to say it's outright selfish to have your own child? I dunno man. That's just a fucking scorching take.

I do like adopting dogs though. Breeders suck. Our dog we adopted at 10 years old. She was dumped by her shitty first 'family,' so we gave her an awesome home and she's been amazing the last 4 years.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

nah, wanting to have your own, biological kid is NOT selfish. The Government demonizing sex/safe sex, birth control, abortions is selfish and cruel. so many poor, innocent children get caught up in being raised by terrible parents who should have never had kids (accidental pregnancy/teenage pregnancies) or subjected to a cruel foster system and never getting adopted.

Status
Not open for further replies.