• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Fuck JK Rowling

The reveal is gaining a lot of traction on social media, over 3.2 million views on PS YouTube Channel and nearly 4.1 million on Twitter.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. The IP is huge. Some non gaming peeps are likely interested. Shame about the author but I think people love the universe enough to look past it.

People still play Minecraft after all

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. The HP is still super popular and the game looked good and interesting.

Fuck JK Rowling though.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
We just had this thread:
www.resetera.com

Hogwarts Legacy is the most watched game trailer of yesterday's PS5 event. Crosses 4.75million views in 21h.

There has been a lot of discourse here regarding the game and for good reason. The creator of this ip being a complete POS. People have spoken out on here and on twitter highlighting what JK Rowling has done and I hope this continues. The general market for now doesn't seem to care with the...

Search function didn't work.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they add Transgender characters to the game. All that was going through my mind during the reveal was that JK Rowlings could fuck off, can't really care for this game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I noticed earlier today. The IP is still huge and, sadly, I'm sure plenty of more casual fans of the franchise aren't aware of the author's views. I hope they include trans representation. Fuck JK Rowling.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
This information kinda decimates the whole "think of the devs!" argument some folks here make in response to those who refuse to purchase this game over the bigotry espoused by the series creator. If every single person who has knowledge of JKR's bigoted views and refuses to buy Hogwarts Legacy, the game will still sell millions. The franchise is absolutely massive and the game seems to be exactly what fans of HP want from a modern video game based in the universe.

Feb 23, 2019
That's pretty incredible numbers, and well deserved too - one of the most impressive games I've seen so far

hope the gameplay stacks up

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. The IP is huge. Some non gaming peeps are likely interested. Shame about the author but I think people love the universe enough to look past it.

People still play Minecraft after all
What has Minecraft to do with all? Notch hasn't been profiting of Minecraft for over half a decade and has absolutely NO say in the game or IP.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the game looks really cool despite who created the source material.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I hope they add Transgender characters to the game. All that was going through my mind during the reveal was that JK Rowlings could fuck off, can't really care for this game.
Yeah, I noticed earlier today. The IP is still huge and, sadly, I'm sure plenty of more casual fans of the franchise aren't aware of the author's views. I hope they include trans representation. Fuck JK Rowling.
That would be amazing but even with zero involvement from Rowling I would have zero faith in a AAA game doing this.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks good and light years better than any other HP before,and HP is huge so no surprises.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This information kinda decimates the whole "think of the devs!" argument some folks here make in response to those who refuse to purchase this game over the bigotry espoused by the series creator. If every single person who has knowledge of JKR's bigoted views and refuses to buy Hogwarts Legacy, the game will still sell millions. The franchise is absolutely massive and the game seems to be exactly what fans of HP want from a modern video game based in the universe.
At the end of the day it will still always come down to how you personally feel about it.

Can you not morally justify purchasing something that supports bigots? Can you detach creator from the work? Are you a person who goes, "this really bugs me, but most people don't care anyways so why punish myself for having morals?"

I feel like people should stop giving shitty people money, the majority of the world doesn't though.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Harry Potter as an IP is nearly as big as Hello Kitty, Marvel, Pokemon, etc. so this should surprise no one

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
At the end of the day it will still always come down to how you personally feel about it.

Can you not morally justify purchasing something that supports bigots? Can you detach creator from the work? Are you a person who goes, "this really bugs me, but most people don't care anyways so why punish myself for having morals?"

I feel like people should stop giving shitty people money, the majority of the world doesn't though.
I agree with what you're saying, but we're a very small collective. I don't think I'll buy it because it doesn't feel right to financially benefit someone who thinks some of my friends don't deserve rights. If others happily do purchase it, then I won't put it against them either. If you're hyped for this game regardless of what JKR stands for, then go ahead and buy it. Buying games is a personal decision and I respect whatever decision another person makes. I wish JKR didn't express awful views because I would absolutely pounce on Hogwarts Legacy, but that isn't reality sadly.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
The franchise is still mega-popular. With that many fans, there will be many who are either willfully ignorant about her views, are straight up transphobic themselves, or simply don't really know about it. And there will be those who are not okay with her views, but their love of the franchise will beat out any desire to oppose the views.

Hell, one of my close friends who is a huge fan of the franchise, but very critical of her views, has been doing all sorts of mental gymnastics in order to feel okay about buying the game. I also had to watch my girlfriend first get really excited that the game she's wanted her whole life is finally coming, only for it to sink in that buying the game would support that monster. It's honestly kind of heartbreaking and I feel bad for the fans and trans community.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Some people I know are flipping out over it, but Harry Potter was never something I was crazy about as a kid. JK Rowling just made me dislike it even more

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Unsurprising. The whole issue with Rowling is because of the influence the adoration of the IP affords her.

Jun 19, 2020
Outside of this forum the issues with JK Rowling are pretty unknown. To a lot of people HP was a huge part of their youth.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
JKR has really dampened my excitement about Hogwarts Legacy. I can't approve her view about trans people. But it'll likely sell very strongly, the general public don't care bout these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.